I remember having Aloo Tuk for the first time in Kailash Parbat restaurant in Mumbai. They had done it very well. The aloos were fried to perfection with the correct amount of spices added to them. By the way Kailash Parbat restaurants specialize in Sindhi Cuisine.
I searched on the internet for making aloo took or aloo tuk. I got this recipe from sulekha.com. I made some modification to it by adding turmeric and cumin seeds powder.
Now coming back to the aloo tuk recipe…. This dish is easy to prepare and can be served as a snack or a side dish.
Ingredients for the Alu Took recipe:
- 3-4 aloos/potatoes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric/haldi powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder
- rock salt or black salt
- oil for frying potatoes
Method for preparing aloo tuk:
- Peel the skin of the aloos/potatoes. Wash the aloos in running water and wipe them dry with a kitchen napkin.
- Now you can cut the aloos in slightly thick rounds or cut it vertically into wedges. The ones I had in Kailash Parbat were wedges.
- Now rub some salt in the chopped aloos. Toss them well and deep fry them in hot oil, till they are slightly cooked and tender.
- Remove them from oil. Slightly flatten them with a the back of a ladle or spoon.
- Now again fry them in hot oil till they are crisp and golden brown.
- Remove them on a clean tissue paper so that the extra oil get soaked.
- Mix all the spice powders mentioned above with the aloo tuk. Mix well. You can increase or decrease the quantity of the spice powders as per your taste.
- Serve aloo tuk hot with mint chutney or tomato sauce. You could also have it plain. It also goes good an accompaniment or side dish with dal-rice combo or curd curry-rice combo.
If making for fast or vrat, then add rock salt/sendha namak.
Note: As I keep on updating my pics, I have replaced the older pics with the new ones for this aloo tuk recipe. The above pics are of aloo tuk made with baby potatoes. If you are looking for aloo recipes then i suggest aloo gobi and dum aloo recipe.