Dal pakwan recipe with step by step photos. It is one of the most famous Sindhi breakfast recipe. Dal pakwan is basically chana dal served with pakwan (crisp fried Indian bread).
I have divided the dal pakwan post in two parts as I am sharing step by step pictures for making pakwan as well as the dal. I have already posted Pakwan step by step recipe. in this post, I will share how to make dal.
I have pressure cooked the chana dal or bengal gram. But you can also cook the dal in the pan. The chana dal should not be cooked too mushy. Each grain should be separate and yet cooked.
This dal can also be had with chapatti, roti and rice. Dal pakwan is usually taken as breakfast but you can have this dal pakwan snack as a brunch or in lunch too. This dal recipe is also a no onion no garlic recipe.
How to make dal pakwan
1. rinse & soak the chana dal in water for almost 2 hours. drain and keep aside.
2. in a pressure cooker, take the dal and 2 cups water. Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles. the grains should be cooked yet separate.
3. once the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid. Add all the spice powders, sugar and salt to the cooked dal. stir and add water if required. I added 1 cup water at this stage.
4. simmer for 7-8 minutes or more on a low flame till a medium consistency of the dal is reached. Keep the dal aside.
5. in another pan, heat oil or ghee. crackle the cumin first and then add the green chilies and saute for a minute. add curry leaves and asafoetida and saute for a further minute or two on a low flame.
6. pour this sauteed mixture along with the oil in the dal.
7. Stir well.
Serve dal with Pakwan along with green chutney, sweet chutney and chopped onions.
If you are looking for more similar recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
for making dal:
- 1.25 cup chana dal or bengal gram
- 2 to 2.5 cups water
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 8 to 10 curry leaves - optional
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder)
- ¼ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sugar or as required (optional)
- salt as required
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon oil or ghee
- Rinse and soak the chana dal in water for almost 2 hours.
- Drain and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, take the dal and 2 to 2.5 cups water. Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- The grains should be cooked yet separate.
- Once the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid.
- Add all the spice powders, sugar and salt to the cooked dal.
- Stir and add water if required. I added 1 cup water at this stage. You can add the amount of water as required.
- Simmer for 7-8 minutes or more on a low flame till a medium consistency of the dal is reached.
- Keep the dal aside.
- In another pan, heat oil or ghee.
- Crackle the cumin first and then add the green chilies and saute for a minute.
- Add curry leaves and asafoetida and saute for a further minute or two on a low flame.
- Pour this sauteed mixture along with the oil in the dal.
- Stir and serve the steaming hot sindhi dal with pakwan accompanied with some chopped onions, coriander mint chutney and sweet tamarind chutney. enjoy the sindhi dal pakwan as a breakfast dish or snacks
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later