cheddar cheese biscuits recipe – one day hubby gets an organic handmade cheddar cheese from a shop. the cheese is pure vegetarian and smells so different than regular cheddar cheese. he tastes it and does not like the taste…
trouble for me as i have stopped eating cheese and hubby won’t have it now. i cannot let go the whole cheese block go waste. considering one block of organic cheese costs a lot of money. i also cannot add the cheese to his sandwiches or toast.
so i think and think and decide to make these savory whole wheat cheddar cheese biscuits.
am sure if i make anything else with the cheese like bread or croissants or anything… i know it will be just lying in the fridge..
fortunately for me, the biscuits had a wonderful cheesy aroma much different than the original handmade cheese and the hubby ate them nicely without making any faces.
the taste and aroma of a handmade cheese is way different from regular cheese and no animal products like renin are used to culture the cheese.
the vegetarian cheese are cultured with vegetable enzymes. so always check for the details on a packet before buying cheese.
these biscuits tastes like cheese straws and are a different type altogether than my earlier post on cheese biscuits. the old post was the american style cheese biscuits where the biscuits are not crisp but soft like bread.
i have adapted the recipe from my recipe notes and the same recipe with another variation is already on the cheese straws post.
i made a few cheese straws and many biscuits from the dough. they were a bit spicy with lots of red chili powder and black pepper powder.
crisp, buttery and smooth biscuits make a ideal option with tea or coffee. great for kids as well if you reduce the amount of red chili powder and pepper. once baked and they are cooled, then store these biscuits in an air-tight box or container.
whole wheat cheddar cheese biscuits recipe below:
cheddar cheese biscuits recipe
savory whole wheat cheddar cheese biscuits.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour (atta)
- 1.5 cups grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped cold butter
- ¼ or ½ cup cold milk
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper - reduce the amount for less heat
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper (kali mirch powder)
- salt as required
how to make recipe
- sift the flour with salt.
- add the red chili powder and crushed black pepper. mix well.
- now add the butter to the flour and with knife cut the butter into the flour.
- rub with fingertips to make a breadcrumb like mixture with the flour and butter.
- add grated cheese and milk and gently form a smooth dough.
- don't overknead.
- make some balls from the dough and roll on a board with some dusted flour about half an inch.
- with a cookie cutter, cut the biscuits.
- you can also make straws. just that the dough breaks when making straws, but still i made some.
- place these cookies on a greased baking tray.
- bake in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees C for 15-20 minutes or till crisp and well browned.
- remove the biscuits from the pan and place them on a wire rack till they cool.
- have these cheese biscuits warm or store them in an air-tight box.
for making this for kids, just reduce the amount of spices or you can do away totally with the spices.
to make indian spiced biscuits, just add some cumin and carom seeds to the biscuits.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe