These savory cheddar cheese cookies are made with whole wheat flour, cheddar cheese, butter and a few spices.
One day hubby gets an organic handmade cheddar cheese from a shop. The cheese is pure vegetarian and smells so different than regular cheddar cheese. he tastes it and does not like the taste…
Trouble for me as I have stopped eating cheese and hubby won’t have it now. I cannot let go of the whole cheese block go waste. Considering one block of organic cheese costs a lot of money. I also cannot add the cheese to his sandwiches or toast.
So I think and think and decide to make these savory whole wheat cheddar cheese cookies.
Am sure if I make anything else with the cheese like bread or croissants or anything… I know it will be just lying in the fridge..
Fortunately for me, the cookies had a wonderful cheesy aroma much different than the original handmade cheese and the hubby ate them nicely without making any faces.
The taste and aroma of a handmade cheese is way different from regular cheese and no animal products like renin are used to culture the cheese.
The vegetarian cheese is cultured with vegetable enzymes. So always check for the details on a packet before buying cheese.
These cheese cookies taste like cheese straws and are a different type altogether than my earlier post on Cheese biscuits. The old post was the American style cheese biscuits which are not crisp but soft like bread.
I have adapted the recipe from my recipe notes and the same recipe with another variation is already on the Cheese straws post.
I made a few cheese straws and many cookies from the dough. They were a bit spicy with lots of red chili powder and black pepper powder.
Crisp, buttery and smooth cookies make an ideal option with ginger tea or filter coffee. Great for kids as well if you reduce the amount of red chili powder and pepper. Once baked and they are cooled, then store these cookies in an air-tight box or container.
You might also like to try these cheese recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1.5 cups grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped cold butter
- ¼ or ½ cup cold milk
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper - reduce the amount for less heat
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper (kali mirch powder)
- salt as required
- Sift the flour with salt.
- Add the red chili powder and crushed black pepper. Mix well.
- Now add the butter to the flour and with knife cut the butter into the flour.
- Rub with fingertips to make a breadcrumb like mixture with the flour and butter.
- Add grated cheese and milk and gently form a smooth dough.
- Don't over knead.
making cheddar cheese Cookies
- Make some balls from the dough and roll on a board with some dusted flour about half an inch.
- With a cookie cutter, cut the cookies.
- You can also make straws. Just that the dough breaks when making straws, but still I made some.
- Place these cookies on a greased baking tray.
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees c for 15-20 minutes or till crisp and well browned.
- Remove from the pan and place them on a wire rack till they cool.
- Have these cheddar cheese cookies warm or store them in an air-tight box.
- For making this for kids, just reduce the amount of spices or you can do away totally with the spices.
- To make Indian spiced cheese cookies, just add some cumin and carom seeds to the cookies.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later