mushroom pasta recipe – a continental style delicious mushroom and pasta in a creamy sauce. one of those dishes that i end up making sometimes on fancy and the results are too good.
on some days i just don’t want to cook anything indian, like lentil, curry and flatbreads. so i make dishes that are not that commonly made in my home. in fact as much as i love european and continental cuisine, there are no takers in the family for these… and pasta is a no no most of the times.
but this creamy mushroom pasta was an exception. even the husband who is not that fond of pasta loved this dish. however, slowly slowly we are moving from a family of people loving indian food to loving & relishing food from other cuisines and cultures.
few more pasta recipes on the blog are:
to make this mushroom pasta, you don’t have to make the white sauce separately. the sauce is made during the cooking process…
making this recipe is a one pot or one pan meal. towards the end i topped with cheddar cheese and then baked for the cheese to melt. if you don’t have an oven you don’t need to do this last step. just top the mushroom pasta with some grated cheese and serve hot.
apart from mushrooms, i have also used yellow bell pepper. this is however, optional. you can also add some cooked corn or baby corn or steamed broccoli, carrots, cauliflower in the recipe.
i served this creamy mushroom pasta with tomato soup and with some warm toasted brown bread. you can have this mushroom pasta without any accompaniment also.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- 1 cup shell pasta OR macaroni
- 200 to 250 grams button mushroom, 1 packet button mushroom
- 1 medium to large yellow or red bell pepper (capsicum) - optional
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley or coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups milk
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoon grated cheddar OR mozzarella cheese
- salt as required
- black pepper as required
- heat enough water with salt & a few drops of oil till it begins to boil.
- add the pasta and cook the pasta till they are completely cooked.
- once cooked, strain them in a colander or strainer.
- run fresh or cold water on the pasta.
- drain and keep them aside.
- rinse the mushrooms well in water in a strainer or colander. drain them.
- trim the stalks and slice them. keep aside. chop the bell pepper and keep aside.
- peel and finely chop the onions and garlic.
making mushroom pasta
- melt butter in a pan. add the garlic and saute for about 10-12 seconds on a low flame.
- add the chopped onions and saute till the onions become translucent.
- add the sliced mushrooms and saute on a low to medium flame till the mushrooms have shrunk in size.
- there should be no moisture in the pan.
- the mushrooms will release their juices initially and after continuous sauteing, the juices will evaporate.
- keep on stirring in breaks while sauteing the mushrooms.
- after the liquids have evaporated and the mushrooms have cooked, add the chopped bell pepper and saute for 4-5 mins on a low flame.
- add the 2 tbsp flour.
- stir well and saute for 3-4 mins on a low flame.
- the flour will coat itself to the mushrooms and bell pepper.
- add milk in a gentle stream to the pan and keep on stirring.
- the flour will combine with the milk and you will see the sauce getting thickened slowly.
- cook for about 2 minutes and add the pasta.
- stir well and simmer for 1-2 minutes more.
- then add the chopped parsley and basil and simmer for a minute
- season with salt and pepper.
- if the sauce becomes too thick, add some hot water or milk and thin the sauce.
- you can garnish with grated cheese and serve the creamy mushroom pasta right here or proceed as follows, if you have an oven.
- pour the pasta in a baking pan or bowl.
- top with grated cheese and bake in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees C till the cheese melt.
- serve the pasta with a vegetable soup and with some warm toasted brown bread or white bread.
- you can have this creamy mushroom pasta without any accompaniment also.