Rich and delicious mushroom soup is wonderfully satisfying to enjoy any time of the year. It’s a hearty soup recipe prepared in just one pot, and is perfect to make even on a busy weeknight in only 30 minutes. Here you’ll find step-by-step instructions and photos with a video to make my savory, creamy, absolutely delightful cream of mushroom soup from scratch.
About Cream of Mushroom Soup
As a family, we love soups. It doesn’t matter if it’s cold or hot outside, there are so many terrific and tasty soup recipes that are perfect for any weather! A few of our year-round favorites include Tomato Soup and Sweet Corn Soup.
Today I’m sharing with you another classic homemade soup recipe we adore, cream of mushroom soup. This naturally vegetarian dish is hearty, rich, and full of deep umami flavor. It’s great topped with fresh herbs and served as a side or main dish!
My creamy mushroom soup is a one-pot recipe, too. Button mushrooms are sautéed with onion and garlic, then combined with flour and butter to make a thick roux. Vegetable stock (or water!) is poured into the same pot, and milk and cream are added for the perfect creaminess.
The soup is ready in only 30 minutes, including prep time. Try this healthy, delicious, quick and easy dinner recipe as part of your weekly meal plan!
How to Make Mushroom Soup
1. First, measure and set all the ingredients ready for the soup (mise en place).
2. Rinse or wipe dry 200 to 250 grams (about 1 cup) of white button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms. Slice of the lower part of the base stalk of each mushroom. Then chop them in halves or quarters, or slice them thin.
Make Mushroom Soup Base
3. Next, heat a heavy saucepan or pan over low to medium-low heat. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter (salted or unsalted) in the pan.
4. When the butter has almost melted add bay leaf or tej patta (Indian bay leaf). Keep the heat low and be careful to not burn the butter.
5. Sauté until the bay leaf becomes fragrant, only for about 2 to 3 seconds.
6. Add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions (about 1 small to medium-sized onion) and ½ teaspoon minced or finely chopped garlic (2 to 3 small to medium garlic cloves).
7. Mix and stir.
8. Sauté until the onions soften and become translucent.
9. Add the sliced or chopped mushrooms to the pot.
10. Mix again. You will see the mushrooms releasing water after a few minutes.
11. Continue to sauté as the mushrooms brown.
12. Continue to sauté until all the water dries up in the pan. Then add 1 tablespoon of whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour.
13. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes on a low heat as you continuously stir. You shouldn’t be able to smell the raw flour after a minute or two.
14. Then add freshly crushed black pepper or ground pepper to taste. Mix well.
Make Cream of Mushroom Soup
15. Now add 1 cup of water or vegetable stock, or mushroom stock.
16. Stir and mix well.
17. Add 1 cup whole (full fat) milk.
TIP: The milk should be at room temperature when you add it.
18. Mix very well.
19. Season with salt to taste and mix again. If using vegetable or mushroom stock instead of water, you likely will only need a small amount of extra salt, if any at all.
20. Simmer the cream of mushroom soup over medium-low heat. Stir often; it will start to bubble up like in the picture below.
21. The soup will also begin to thicken. Continue to simmer the mushroom soup for more 4 to 5 more minutes.
As it cooks the soup will thicken more and more. Stir regularly so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
22. Then add 6 tablespoons light cream or cooking cream or low fat cream (about 25% to 30% fat) or 3 tablespoons heavy cream or whipping cream. You can also add 7 to 8 tablespoons of half and half.
23. Stir and mix well.
24. Add 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley or coriander leaves (cilantro) or any fresh herbs of your choice.
25. Simmer the cream of mushroom soup for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring often.
26. Lastly, sprinkle 1 to 2 pinches of ground nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg and stir. Nutmeg gives a nice pleasant aroma but can be skipped if you do not have it.
27. Switch off the heat and pour the mushroom soup in individual serving bowls. Serve the cream of mushroom soup steaming hot garnished with more freshly chopped parsley or coriander leaves.
What to serve with Mushroom Soup
Creamy mushroom soup is delicious to enjoy with a hearty sandwich or piece of crusty bread, like crostini or bruschetta.
It’s a wonderful starter to serve before a pasta or risotto or pilaf course. And it pairs great as a side dish with nearly any entree!
Have a bowl of this comforting soup as a main dish of its own, and serve with a fresh side salad or veggies.
As-is this recipe is not gluten free. I use whole wheat flour to make a thick roux for the creamiest mushroom soup. If you’d like make a gluten free version, simply substitute the whole wheat flour with your preferred GF-friendly mix. Potato starch, tapioca starch, and cornstarch are all great alternatives.
You can substitute the dairy butter used to make the roux with your favorite plant-based butter alternative. Use nondairy plant based milk – like cashew or soy milk – instead of dairy milk and cream. You can include cashew cream as well, for a rich and thick vegan mushroom soup.
Homemade mushroom cream soup will stay good for up to 1 to 2 days in the fridge. Transfer cooled leftovers to an airtight container and keep in the fridge. The soup will thicken more after cooling. So to thin the consistency add some water or vegetable stock while reheating. Reheat in a microwave or in a saucepan.
More Comforting Veggie Soups!
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Mushroom Soup Recipe (Cream of Mushroom Soup)
- 200 to 250 grams button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions or 1 small to medium-sized onion
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic or 2 to 3 small to medium-sized garlic
- 1 tejpatta (Indian bay leaf) or bay leaf
- 1 to 2 pinches ground nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- 1 cup whole milk – at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons light cream or 3 tablespoons whipping cream or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or coriander leaves (cilantro) or any fresh soft herbs like basil
- freshly crushed black pepper as required
- salt as required
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley – can also use the same herb you add in the soup for garnishing like coriander leaves or basil
- Rinse or wipe white button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms. Slice of the lower part of the base stalk of each mushroom. Then chop them in halves or quarters, or slice them thin.
- Peel, rinse and chop onion and garlic finely. Get all the other ingredients ready and set them aside.
Sautéing onions and garlic
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the bay leaf and saute till fragrant for about 2 to 3 seconds.
- Add the finely chopped onions and garlic.
- Sauté stirring often on medium-low heat till the onions soften and become translucent.
- Add the sliced or chopped mushrooms and saute till the mushrooms start to release water.
- Saute till all the water dries up and the mushrooms become a light golden.
- Add the flour and saute for 3 to 4 minutes stirring often on a low to medium-low heat. The raw aroma of flour should not be felt.
- Then add freshly crushed black pepper and mix well.
Making mushroom soup
- Add water first followed by milk.
- Stir well and season with salt.
- On a low to medium-low heat let the soup come to a gentle simmer first.
- The mushroom soup would also begin to thicken. Stir at intervals.
- Further simmer for about 4 to 5 minutes till the soup thickens more.
- Then add the cream and chopped parsley.
- Simmer mushroom soup or 1 to 2 minutes more stirring often.
- Lastly, sprinkle ground nutmeg powder and stir.
- Switch off the heat and pour the soup in serving bowls.
- Serve the cream of mushroom soup steaming hot garnished with parsley or coriander.
Serving and Storage Suggestions
- Serve the mushroom soup with a side of any sandwich or crusty bread or toast. Crostini or bruschetta also pair well. You can also serve as a starter with a pasta or pilaf main course. Enjoy the soup with a side salad of fresh veggies.
- Keep any leftover soup for 1 to 2 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The consistency will thicken more after refrigeration. Add a splash of water while reheating to loosen the consistency.
- Use milk at room temperature. The milk can also be cold or chilled.
- To increase the heat and warmth in the soup, you can add a little more of black pepper powder. Use freshly crushed or powdered black pepper for the best flavor and taste.
- Nutmeg can be skipped if you do not have it.
- This mushroom recipe can be easily scaled to half or double or triple for larger servings.
- Instead of button mushrooms you can use baby bella mushrooms or cremini mushrooms.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This mushroom soup post from the archives originally published on January 2014 has been updated and republished on 27 November 2021.
Delicious!!! I used turkey stock and cilantro and a touch of rice vinegar to add a bit of bite in the finish.
I made this soup for evening and my husband said it tasted so good that it’s worth a five star restaurant dish.
Thank you for the recipe Dassana. You are helping to make a change in this world with your recipes.
Thanks a lot Gayatri. So glad to read your feedback on the recipe. Thanks for the rating too.
Most welcome and happy cooking.
Enjoyed the soup by my family.
Perfect creamy mushroom soup!
Lovely and thanks for sharing your feedback.
Turned out awesome…taste was great! Used dry parsley instead of fresh ones but still tuned out good! Used water…
Thank you for the recipe!
Wonderful and thanks for sharing.
Soup is delicious. Can this soup be frozen?
Thanks. Since the soup is milk and cream based, I would not suggest freezing it.
It came out beautiful , the looks, smell n of course the taste… all of them
Thank you for the positive feedback on the recipe.
One of best soup I ever prep at my home. Your all recipes are so delicious
Thank you so much.
Thanks for the feedback and the rating. Glad to read. Most welcome.
Amazing recipe and quick to make too. Thank you
Thanks for the feedback.
Made the soup exactly as per the recipe..and it came out very well. A very delicious and filling soup.Would highly recommend.
Thank you for the lovely feedback and the rating. Glad to know.
This recipe is so simple and yet very delicious. It haas turned out awesome everytime. Thank you 😊
Dassana, I have been reading your recipes ever since you first started posting them. So I have seen your blog grow. Your recipes are a joy. Practical sensible doable and the final result is always outstanding. I have learnt so much from you. Thanks a zillion – Ashish
Thank you Ashish. Yes, slowly and steadily the blog has grown over the years and with the blessings and positivity of readers like you, will continue to grow. Thank again and most welcome.
Your recipes have been very helpful to me. I can totally rely on them because they never fail. Your blog was a great help several years ago, when I was going through a really difficult time in my life. Suddenly I was expected to become a good cook overnight. And I, being a bachelor who lived away from home at a hostel for several years, was not at all prepared for that responsibility. I don’t have enough words to really thank you. All I can say is you are doing a really noble work here. All the best and keep up the good work.
hi ashwini, i can totally understand living in a hostel and the responsibilities that come with it. i am so glad that the recipes from the blog have helped. it also feels nice to know that the recipes do not fail. thank you very much and i wish you all the best.
Thanks for the recipe , can it be made without onions ?
onions add some sweetness in the soup. but you can try making without onions. as a substitute for onions, add a pinch of asafoetida before adding mushrooms. welcome.
As always , Your recipes are absolutely hearty, warm and comforting.
You are like Maa Annapurna in my kitchen and my culinary life. Thank you.
I have made the Mushroom soup for dinner and it smells divine.
However, I wanted to increase the soup quantity as more people are to have it. 4 instead of 2.
I doubled the amount of butter + milk and water… While it gave me more liquid soup.. Did I do the right thing? As the butter quantity increased so wouldn’t it add to many more calories??
Was there another way of not changing the taste of the soup yet, increasing the liquid content without butter? ( Just curious)
I also wanted to send you a pic of the soup..but I don’t see any option here to attach pics..
hi sneha, thanks for this beautiful comment. i am so touched and humbled. thanks again. all the ingredients need to be doubled for the correct consistency and taste. if only butter, milk and water is increased, the soup will have a liquid consistency and a diluted taste. increase the cream and flour – which will thicken the soup. also, increase the herbs and spices. calories will increase but not much as the soup will have 4 servings instead of 2.
there is a way and that is by adding cornflour (corn starch) or potato starch. but since in this recipe roux is made, if you increase the flour, the soup will thicken.
on the comment interface, we do not have any option of attaching pics. already our pages are heavy due to the step by step pictures. if we give the option of attaching pictures, the pages will become more heavy.
let me know if you have any more queries regarding the soup.
Awesome!! I made the recipe exactly minus cream and it tasted too good. Thank you!
thanks arti for this lovely review and rating. cream can be skipped. welcome and happy cooking.
I love your recipes. So detailed and delicious! Thank you.
thank you sheena.
I love your recipes, they have right proportions of spices to make them delicious. Please answer my query.
What snacks go well with this soup?
thanks meghna. i would serve a side of sandwiches or cheese chilli toast or any kind of stuffed or open toast sandwich with this soup. you can even serve crostini, bruschetta as a side snack. even a pasta or spaghetti dish goes well. a side salad of mix vegetables or cherry tomatoes or potatoes can be made. hope this helps.
Tried this recipe today and turned out well. Everyone enjoyed the soup and my kid loved it. Only thing is I felt we can do away with the nutmeg sprinkle in the end for those who doesn’t like the flavour of it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
thanks mamatha for sharing the feedback and rating on mushroom soup recipe. in any recipe, any spice or herb can be done away with if someone does not like it or if someone has an allergy to it. so you can easily skip nutmeg in mushroom soup recipe. you can also add herbs or spices which you or your family prefer. welcome and happy cooking.
must try recipe of yours maam
have made it 3 times now and each time has been lipsmackingly good
just a query: can we add fresh basil leaves in the soup?
ps: can u please post veg french onion soup recipe
radhika, yes you can add fresh basil leaves. add them once the soup is done and simmer for a minute. fresh basil leaves will give a really good aroma. for french onion soup, i have got maximum requests. i will try to add the recipe when the monsoon sets in.
and thanks for the rating as well as the feedback on mushroom soup.
Tried this recipe today and it turned out absolutely delicious! Can’t express how much your blog is inspiring amateur cooks such as I. Many thanks for the fantastic work. Exploring more of your recipes. 🙂
I tried a soup for the first time in my life and it turned out to be delicious..thanks for the recipe.
Welcome Greeshma. Glad to know that you liked the mushroom soup.
I loooooooovvveed it..
It is just amazing..i tried it and it was DELICIOUS.
THANKS for the wonderful recipie.
thanks aysha for sharing your feedback on cream of mushroom recipe. happy cooking.
Nice and tasty mushroom soup. I added little coconut milk instead of cream and it was perfect to my liking.
Thanks Reema. Glad to know this.
Hi.. Is there any alternative fr milk nd cream.. (i am lactose intolerant.) I knw its a stupid question.. Bt thought maybe there is.. As I m so very much fond of Soups nd really wanna try this one.
sonal, you can use almond milk. just heat it. do not boil it. almond milk is a good alternative for milk. even coconut milk can be used, but with coconut milk, the taste of coconut will be there. for cream, in the market you do get lactose free cream, which i think is made from soy, but not sure how will it taste. coconut cream can be used, but as i mentioned above, coconut taste will be there.
if using almond milk the first add water and bring to a simmer. then towards the end add almond milk and just warm or lightly heat the soup. same you can do if using coconut milk. cream can be skipped.
As usual dassana, ur soup recipe is marvellous. Wondering y i didnt cum across dis recipe all this while. Thanks a looott dassana 4 all ur wonderful recipes….pls try 2 add chili parota recipe????most of the ppl crave 4 it here.Guess u dont have d recipe. Sry if u already have it.and dassana u r a resident of goa rite?sry if i am wrong. Just wanted 2 know.☺ thnxxx a ton dr.
thank you aishu for this lovely feedback. i will try to add chili parota recipe. i have taken a note of it. i do not stay in goa any more. we moved from there some 4.5 years back. goa is a beautiful place to live ????
Dassana Ji, this is my second post today ! I also posted on the lauki onion tomato curry. I was surprised to find you also had a mushroom soup in your repertoire ! I followed your instructions faithfully, except :
I did not use Jaiphal – nutmeg, because I thought that might overwhelm the mushroom flavor.
I did not use flour, but a tblsp. of corn flour, common in the US. It is superfine, does not have any taste, and does not have to be sauteed. The soup seemed a little thin ( runny ) so I added a tblsp. of potato flakes to thicken it.
I used coconut oil to saute, for additional flavor.
I had oyster mushrooms, which are more stringy ( fibrous – ) so I minced them fine. Someday, I hope to use Morels, which are the king of mushrooms.
My wife whined, as usual, about there being less salt, but she had two additional helpings. 😉
Best wishes for your fantastic blog, and your Apps.
i know. i read and have even replied to your comment on the lauki chana dal curry. variations can always be done as per one’s needs and taste buds in any recipe. jaiphal add a subtle aroma and does not overwhelm the mushroom flavor. of course corn flour can be used and even potato flakes. both are thickeners and they will help in thickening the soup. glad to know that your wife liked the soup. thanks again for the best wishes.
Superb recipe. I tried this without the cream and it came so well. Rightly said by everyone, this tastes downright better than restaurant served ones! Great job, Dassana. If I could, I would give this ten stars.
Thanks Priya for this awesome feedback. Glad to know that everyone liked the mushroom soup.
Any dish …..my first choice is to look at ur site for receipe… All fantastic and interesting to cook. Thanks so much. Keep going.
thanks a lot ashwin. happy cooking.
This was the first soup recipe i tried and it was awesome.A very big Thank u for sharing this recipe.
Welcome Shilpa. Good to know this.
Awesome. ..:-)tastes better than hotel soup. ..thank u so much.
I just lov this recipe and so does my husband n daughter. I have not tried making mushroom soup any other style after learning this style. It’s simply yummmmmyyyyyyyy
glad to know neha. thanks for this lovely feedback. happy cooking.
I tried this recipe today and it is such a hit..i just loved it..thanks for the recipe
thanks sravya for this feedback.
Simple n awesome recipe..☺got lot of appreciation from the family when I made this at home..thanks a lot??
thanks ramya for sharing this. glad to know.
Can we use malai instead of amul cream
you can use malai. just beat or whip the malai till smooth and then add.
Prepared yummy cream of mashroom soup
thank you bhavna 🙂 for your positive views.
Yummy! Too good
Have you tried to do this non dairy? I’m a medical vegan and can’t have the milk or cream or butter (cholesterol). Any pointers?
i have tried a few soups and sauces made with almond milk and they worked well. in this recipe substitute oil instead of butter and skip the cream. just almond milk will be fine to give a smooth creamy consistency. but just warm the almond milk. do not bring to a boil. you can add half of the water if using almond milk.
What about coconut oil and coconut milk? I just ordered some good raw organic almonds to make my own milk, but wouldn’t sticking to the same fat/milk source make it taste better?
dee, generally when i make soups with almond milk, i use sunflower oil or olive oil. with coconut milk or cream, coconut oil tastes better. so what you say is right. even with coconut milk and oil, this soup will taste good. since i have had coconut milk based soups, i can tell you they are great to taste.
I added garlic salt n green garlic leaves instead of parsley. Was delicious. Thanks for all your wonderful recipes. Keep up the good work
thankyou sabina for your kind words pleased to know this 🙂
easy & nice! thanks! just prepared.
thankyou ankur 🙂
Thank u so much for the wonderful blog with easy recipes n directions… Prepared this cream of mushroom soup which my family is very fond of and always had in restuarant only.. now it tasted better n healthier than that..Thanks once again..
thank you vidya. nice to know. homemade recipes are always better and healthier.
ihave yet to try will let you tomorrow
Amazing recipe of cream mushroom soup. 5 star hotel taste and texture it obtains. Thank you so much for sharing it. Will try more recipes on your website. 🙂
surey try tejal and let us know how it was?? thankyou and you are welcome.
I tried it last night it came really well and so yummy.I love your blog and the collection of recipes it was really so delicious and yummy.Definitely i will try your all recipes.Thanks for sharing:-)
thanks riya for sharing positive feedback.
I would like to thank you for doing this favour for people like us…i have tried sookhi arvi n mushroom roast from your blog and ny husband loved it.today i am planning to make this soup.
Good going..keep it up
welcome preeti. glad to know this. hope you and your husband like the soup recipe too.
First time try from your website and it was a hit!! Loved the soup. I must say you are doing great work here by giving stepwise pictures. I would definitely try other recipes. What a wonderful blog you have!! Good going!
thanks shravya. glad to know this. thanks for sharing your encouraging feedback.
I have become such a big fan of your recipes that actually this website has become my ultimate saviour.. You know your recipes are like my mother’s cooking lessons ( which she tried so hard to bestow on me but to no avail
thanks garima for sharing this sweet and positive feedback. glad to read your comment.
can some of the mushrooms after sautéing be made into a paste by grinding it in a mixer and added to the soup.
sujata, yes you can do it.
Love your recipes 🙂
Do you think I can use sour cream instead of regular cream?
thanks samyuktha. sour cream will not taste good.
Definitely one of the best mushroom soup recipes. Everybody loved it. Thanku
welcome manisha. nice to read your positive feedback.
Made this myself…. really easy to make n it was yummy to my tummy too…..!
I made a mistake though. . My wife liked it and now I have increased my work over the week ends…. )
thanks paritosh for sharing this positive feedback.
I absolutely love all your recipes .. i have tried quiet a few and they all are easy to follow and yummm
This is intriguing. Love your recipes.
Awesome recipe!! Loved it.. One of the best mushroom soups ever tasted.. Thank you very much for sharing..
thanks for the review archana.
One of my very favorites ! Glad to have learned to cook it ! Will be back with the taste test results, once I prepare it ! Thanks 🙂
do you think it can be done with either tofu or almond milk? I will try anyway jeje and let you know if it comes out right
can be made with almond milk.
sounds good. i want to make this without cream and mixed grain atta. most people do with wheat flour. corn flour is also done so maybe no harm trying the mixed grain atta which has more course grains.
what do you say.
pl. give suggestions so that i dont bungle. this is for sunday dinner so would appreciate if you give a fast response
am late in replying. yes you can try with mixed grain flour. no issues. cream is essential. if not using cream, then add full fat milk. the taste and texture will change though.
Just made this soup….Looved it!!!
Amazing recipe.. soup tasted soooo good… entire family loved it.. thank you so much
welcome nayana. glad to know.
writing this review while having this amazing soup……could not hold the urge to just tell you again that its simply as amazing as your other recipes……
u have made me fall in love with cooking , specially making soups…
after tomato soup and palak soup this is the third one that i am trying from your blog….
and result is as usual…
Thanks a ton!!!!! 🙂
welcome jaya. big thanks for this positive feedback on soup recipes.
Thanks for suggesting bay leaf it taste great
I loved the concept of Bay Leaf in the soup adds on gud flavour
This was awesome. I have never tried soups with whole wheat. Its super healthy…..lovely recipe and thank u.:-)
thanks a lot catherine.
Great job, it´s very tasty! Bay leaf, pepper and nutmeg powder create very strong flavour. I use half-fat milk, 12% cream and rise flour for thickening.
Just made this and it was great – even with 2% milk instead of whole. Loved the bay leaf addition that you could slightly detect.
thanks amanda for the positive feedback
This recipe is similar to the one I make. I only feel that full cream etc. not only increase the fat content but also reduce the mushroom taste.
aruna, i totally agree with you. i have used amul cream which is a low fat cream having 25% fat. full cream will unbalance the taste for some people.
Awesome recipe!! My husband loved it so much that he repeatedly asks me to do it in the evenings. Best ever mushroom soup ever tasted. Thank you very much for sharing it.