This delightfully easy Cream of Celery Soup recipe is comforting and delicious. It also just so happens to be gluten-free if you do not garnish it with bread croutons or use gluten-free croutons! Made in under 30 minutes (with just 5 minutes of active preparation!), this simple vegetarian soup recipe is sure to become a favorite.
Table of Contents
About Cream Of Celery Soup
When the weather is chilly, there’s nothing I love more than snuggling up to a hearty, warm bowl of comfort. This one-pot celery soup recipe happens to be one of my favorites! It is creamy, cozy, and lick-the-bowl tasty.
Made with just 10 inexpensive ingredients, this is an excellent “rent week” recipe. It also happens to be super simple to prepare — it’ll be on the table in just 30 minutes, including the minimal 5 minutes of prep time!
Rather than using a roux made with wheat flour to thicken the celery soup, I instead rely on starchy potatoes to get the job done. This means this tasty meal is also suitable for people with gluten intolerance.
To make this cream of celery soup nice and creamy without breaking the calorie bank, I used low-fat dairy cream. Feel free to either skip or reduce the amount that you use if you want a lighter version. You can also feel free to swap in your favorite plant-based cream alternative if you prefer.
Celery Soup – Ingredients & Substitutions
My recipe for cream of celery soup doesn’t require a long list of ingredients. In fact, I’d bet you already have many of the items on hand! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Celery – While celery is widely available in the US, that isn’t always the case here. In India, you can usually find celery at gourmet supermarkets in metro centers. I do have celery shrubs at home, but for the soup, I had purchased the celery from the market to ensure I had enough for this yummy recipe.
- Potatoes – As the primary thickener of the soup, they play an important role here. I suggest opting for a starchy (rather than a waxy) potato here. Russets are an excellent option.
- Butter – Feel free to swap in your favorite plant-based version if you are dairy-free.
- Cream – I used a brand that was about 20% to 25% milk-fat. Again, feel free to use a plant-based substitute if you prefer.
- Garlic – Chopped fresh garlic will always taste better, but in a pinch you can easily swap in ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder for each clove that is called for in a recipe.
- Nutmeg – While this is technically optional, I find that it brings a lot of warmth and depth of flavor to this simple cream of celery soup. For the best flavor, grate fresh nutmeg.
- Vegetable Stock – You can always use plain water if you don’t have any veggie stock on hand. Broth will always have more flavor than water, but it will still work without it!
- Salt & Black Pepper – Season the soup as required.
- Parsley Leaves – I use these for garnish, but they are entirely optional. If you happen to get celery stalks that still have leaves attached, you can also use those instead!
- Croutons – Since this is a very rich and creamy soup, I prefer to add a little texture in the form of a crouton garnish. You can easily make them with any variety of bread you have on hand! You can also omit them if gluten is a problem.
How To Make Cream Of Celery Soup
This cream of celery soup recipe is a snap to make. Here’s how it’s done:
Cook Celery and Potatoes
In a pan melt butter. Add the celery and garlic. Sauté both the celery and garlic for 2 to 3 mins on a low heat.
Add potatoes and stir. Add water or veg stock, salt and pepper. Cover and cook till potatoes are cooked. The potatoes should be fork tender.
Once the potatoes are fork tender, turn off heat and let the mixture cool down a bit.
Blend and Make Celery Soup
When the soup mixture is less hot, blend the soup to a fine consistency using an immersion blender. You can also blend the soup in a regular jar blender, but you’ll likely need to work in batches.
Put the pan back on fire and gently heat the soup. You can adjust the consistency of the soup here. Add a bit of water or veg stock if the soup appears too thick for your preference.
When the soup has heated through, add the cream and nutmeg powder. Switch off the stove and stir well. Check the seasonings and add more salt or black pepper if required.
Serve cream of celery soup garnished with parsley and bread croutons. Enjoy!
Celery Soup FAQs
Sure! Simply swap in your favorite plant-based butter and cream substitutes.
If your soup is too thin, simmer it on low heat prior to adding the cream. Over time, it will evaporate away any excess moisture. If you want to thin it out, simply add more water or stock until it is the consistency you desire.
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Celery Soup | Easy Cream Of Celery Soup
- 1 cup celery – chopped
- 1 cup potatoes – peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 2 tablespoons cream – about 20% to 25% fat or 2 tbsp light cream or 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 garlic clove – chopped
- 2 pinches grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock or water
- salt as required
- black pepper as required
- 1 tablespoon parsley leaves – chopped, for garnish, optional
- ¼ cup bread croutons – for garnish, optional
- In a pan melt butter. Add the chopped celery and garlic.
- Sauté both the celery and garlic for 2 to 3 mins on a low heat stirring often.
- Add potatoes and stir. Add water or veg stock, salt and pepper. Cover and cook till potatoes are fork tender. The potatoes need to be completely cooked.
- Once the potatoes are tender and softened, turn off the heat. Let the soup mixture cool down a bit or become warm.
- When the soup mixture is slightly hot or warm, using an immersion blender, blend the soup to a fine and smooth consistency. You can also blend the soup in a regular blender.
- Put the pan back on the stovetop and gently heat through the soup.
- You can adjust the consistency of the soup here. Add a bit of water or veg stock, if you want a slightly thin soup or if the soup appears thick.
- When the soup has heated through, add cream and sprinkle the grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder. Switch off the stove and stir to mix.
- Check the seasonings and add more salt or black pepper if needed.
- Serve Cream of Celery Soup garnished with parsley and bread croutons.
- Feel free to omit the cream or swap in a plant-based version if you prefer.
- Leftover soup will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Cream of Celery Soup from the archives first published in March 2014 has been updated and republished on December 2022.