Cream of celery soup recipe – from a long time I have been wanting to make cream of celery soup and finally I made the soup. I can think and prepare soup only in winters. I guess this is the last soup recipe I will be posting as the summer season in India is just around the corner.
Having soups in the Indian summers is an absolute no no, unless it is a cold soup. So I thought I better post this soup recipe before it gets too late. Otherwise I will have to wait for a year again to post it in the next winters. At home I always cook seasonal recipes and that reflects on the blog too.
This celery soup is a one pot soup recipe. I have not used milk and all purpose flour to thicken the soup. Instead added potatoes to thicken the soup. I have added low fat dairy cream in the recipe. But feel free to skip it or reduce the proportion if you want a lighter version of the soup.
In India, Celery is available in most metro cities in super markets which sell gourmet stuff and herbs. I do have celery shrubs at home, but for the soup I had purchased the celery from the market. I had got these long stalks which I chopped fine and then added to the soup.
If you like creamy soups which are comforting as well as filling then you might like to try these soup recipes:
This cream of celery soup can be had plain or with a baguette or toasted bread slices. You can also accompany a main pasta dish like mushroom pasta or spaghetti olio e aglio or mushroom spaghetti bolognese with the cream of celery soup as a starter.
If you are looking for more Soup recipes then do check:
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon dairy cream - about 20% to 25% fat
- 1 garlic clove (lahsun) - chopped
- 2 pinch of grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- salt as required
- black pepper as required
- a few parsley leaves for garnish (optional)
- some bread croutons for garnish (optional)
- In a pan melt butter. Add the celery and garlic.
- Saute both the celery and garlic for 2 to 3 mins on a low flame.
- Add potatoes and stir. Add water or veg stock, salt and pepper. Cover and cook till potatoes are cooked.the potatoes need to be completely cooked.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, let the mixture cool down a bit.
- When the soup mixture is slightly hot or warm, using an immersion blender, blend the soup till smooth. You can also blend the soup in a regular jar blender.
- Put the pan back on fire and gently heat through the soup.
- You can adjust the consistency of the soup here. Add a bit of water or veg stock, if you want a slightly thin soup or if the soup appears thick.
- When the soup has heated through, add cream and sprinkle the grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder. Switch off the stove and stir well.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt or black pepper if required.
- Serve cream of celery soup garnished with parsley and bread croutons.