Cream of celery soup recipe – from a long time I have been wanting to make cream of celery soup and finally I made the soup. I can think and prepare soup only in winters. I guess this is the last soup recipe I will be posting as the summer season in India is just around the corner.
Having soups in the Indian summers is an absolute no no, unless it is a cold soup. So I thought I better post this soup recipe before it gets too late. Otherwise I will have to wait for a year again to post it in the next winters. At home I always cook seasonal recipes and that reflects on the blog too.
This celery soup is a one pot soup recipe. I have not used milk and all purpose flour to thicken the soup. Instead added potatoes to thicken the soup. I have added low fat dairy cream in the recipe. But feel free to skip it or reduce the proportion if you want a lighter version of the soup.
In India, Celery is available in most metro cities in super markets which sell gourmet stuff and herbs. I do have celery shrubs at home, but for the soup I had purchased the celery from the market. I had got these long stalks which I chopped fine and then added to the soup.
If you like creamy soups which are comforting as well as filling then you might like to try these soup recipes:
This cream of celery soup can be had plain or with a baguette or toasted bread slices. You can also accompany a main pasta dish like mushroom pasta or spaghetti olio e aglio or mushroom spaghetti bolognese with the cream of celery soup as a starter.
If you are looking for more Soup recipes then do check:
Have you made this recipe and liked it? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below or share the recipe on facebook, whatsapp, twitter & pinterest. For recipe updates Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and Twitter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon dairy cream - about 20% to 25% fat
- 1 garlic clove (lahsun) - chopped
- 2 pinch of grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- salt as required
- black pepper as required
- a few parsley leaves for garnish (optional)
- some bread croutons for garnish (optional)
- In a pan melt butter. Add the celery and garlic.
- Saute both the celery and garlic for 2 to 3 mins on a low flame.
- Add potatoes and stir. Add water or veg stock, salt and pepper. Cover and cook till potatoes are cooked.the potatoes need to be completely cooked.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, let the mixture cool down a bit.
- When the soup mixture is slightly hot or warm, using an immersion blender, blend the soup till smooth. You can also blend the soup in a regular jar blender.
- Put the pan back on fire and gently heat through the soup.
- You can adjust the consistency of the soup here. Add a bit of water or veg stock, if you want a slightly thin soup or if the soup appears thick.
- When the soup has heated through, add cream and sprinkle the grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder. Switch off the stove and stir well.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt or black pepper if required.
- Serve cream of celery soup garnished with parsley and bread croutons.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.