sweet corn soup recipe with step by step photos. easy and delicious creamy corn soup made with sweet corn, herbs and spices.
this is one of those soups which i have been making since ages right from my teens. the recipe of sweet corn soup was always requested by my parents and sis when they wanted me to cook indo-chinese food for them. so during the vacations when the cooking fairy would inspire me, i would end up cooking a lot of stuff apart from indo chinese recipes.
since this is my original recipe and i have been making this yum sweet corn soup for many years, i haven’t much tweaked or adapted the recipe. i keep the flavorings in the soup minimal so that the taste of the sweet corn comes through the soup. thats what you want to taste in a corn soup right?
tips and suggestions for making corn soup
- for this soup, you can use the american sweet corn or the regular corn. since i have made the soup with both of them, i can assure you both ways they taste good.
- i used to make this sweet corn soup with half-half of milk and water. the milk would also contribute to the sweetness in the soup. in the recipe post, i have used water. i never have vegetable stock ready at home, so the soups are made with water, milk or nut-milks. if you have veg stock, then you can add it to the soup.
- sometimes i add spring onions to the soup. in the recipe card below i have mentioned the details of adding spring onions. again grated or finely chopped veggies can also be added.
- for making this soup, i do not use cream styled sweet corn from the tins, as i just don’t like the taste nor texture. i have had the cream styled corn soup versions in restaurants and i did not like it. its always best to use fresh veggies when you cook instead of using tinned stuff. another ingredient which i never use while cooking indo chinese food is ajinomoto.
- use freshly ground pepper as the aroma from freshly ground or crushed pepper adds a lot of depth to this simple sweet corn soup.
few more soup recipes you may like are:
INGREDIENTS FOR corn soup
- 1 medium to large sized corn cob (makai or bhutta or sweet corn)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground or crushed black pepper (kali mirch powder) or add as per taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped celery, skip if you don't have celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onions (scallions or hara pyaaz) or shallots
- 1 tablespoon oil (sunflower oil or olive oil) or butter
- 1.5 cups water OR ¾ cup warm milk + ¾ cup water OR 1.5 cups veg stock
- ½ tablespoon corn starch (corn flour) dissolved in 2 tablespoon water
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE corn soup
making corn paste for corn soup
- boil the corn cobs. scrape the corn kernels from the cob.
- reserve some of the corn kernels aside, about 2 tbsp.
- blend the remaining corn kernels with some water to a smooth paste.
making corn soup
- heat oil or butter in a pan. saute the spring onions if using them till they become transparent.
- add the chopped celery and saute for a minute. add the corn paste and stir. add water or milk+water or veg stock. stir and allow the soup to come to a boil.
- now add the black pepper & salt & the remaining corn kernels. stir & simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- add the corn flour paste. stir and simmer for 2-3 minutes more till the soup thickens and the corn flour gets cooked.
- check the seasoning and serve hot sweet corn soup.
- garnish corn soup with some chopped celery or spring onions greens.
- the sweet corn soup goes very well with some garlic or toasted bread.
making corn paste for sweet corn soup
1: first boil or steam the corn cobs. this can be done in a pan, steamer or pressure cooker. drain and let the corn cobs cool.
2: with a knife, scrape the corn kernels from the cobs.
3: blend the corn kernels with some water in a blender till smooth. keep aside a few corn kernels.
how to make sweet corn soup
4: heat oil or butter in a pan. add the chopped celery and saute for a minute till the flavors of the celery comes through in the oil. if using spring onions/scallions, then add now. saute the spring onions till they turn translucent.
5: add the corn paste and stir.
6: pour water or veg stock and stir again.
7: let the soup come to a boil. add freshly ground pepper & salt & the remaining corn kernels.
8: simmer for a few minutes.
9: lastly add corn flour paste. this is done to thicken the sweet corn soup. simmer for a couple of minutes till the corn soup thickens and corn flour gets cooked.
10: check the seasonings. pour the corn soup in soup bowls and serve sweet corn soup hot garnished with chopped celery or scallion/spring onion greens or ground black pepper.