Sweet corn soup Recipe with step by step photos. Easy and delicious creamy corn soup made with sweet corn, herbs and spices.
This is one of those soups which I have been making since ages right from my teens. The recipe of sweet corn soup Was always requested by my parents and sis when they wanted me to cook indo-Chinese food for them. So during the vacations when the cooking fairy would inspire me, I would end up cooking a lot of stuff apart from Indo Chinese recipes.
Since this is my original recipe and I have been making this yum sweet corn soup for many years, I haven’t much tweaked or adapted the recipe. I keep the flavorings in the soup minimal so that the taste of the sweet corn comes through the soup. Thats what you want to taste in a corn soup right?
Tips and suggestions for making corn soup
- For this soup, you can use the American sweet corn or the regular corn. Since I have made the soup with both of them, I can assure you both ways they taste good.
- I used to make this sweet corn soup with half-half of milk and water. The milk would also contribute to the sweetness in the soup. In the recipe post, I have used water. I never have vegetable stock ready at home, so the soups are made with water, milk or nut-milks. If you have veg stock, then you can add it to the soup.
- Sometimes I add spring onions to the soup. In the recipe card below I have mentioned the details of adding spring onions. Again grated or finely chopped veggies can also be added.
- For making this soup, I do not use cream styled sweet corn from the tins, as I just don’t like the taste nor texture. I have had the cream styled corn soup versions in restaurants and I did not like it. Its always best to use fresh veggies when you cook instead of using tinned stuff. another ingredient which I never use while cooking Indo Chinese food is ajinomoto.
- Use freshly ground pepper as the aroma from freshly ground or crushed pepper adds a lot of depth to this simple sweet corn soup.
How to make sweet corn soup
Preparing corn paste
1: first boil or steam the corn cobs. This can be done in a pan, steamer or pressure cooker. Drain and let the corn cobs cool.
2: with a knife, scrape the corn kernels from the cobs.
3: blend the corn kernels with some water in a blender till smooth. Keep aside a few corn kernels.
Making sweet corn soup
4: heat oil or butter in a pan. add the chopped celery and saute for a minute till the flavors of the celery comes through in the oil. If using spring onions/scallions, then add now. Saute the spring onions till they turn translucent.
5: add the corn paste and stir.
6: pour water or veg stock and stir again.
7: let the soup come to a boil. Add freshly ground pepper & salt & the remaining corn kernels.
8: simmer for a few minutes.
9: lastly add corn flour paste. This is done to thicken the sweet corn soup. Simmer for a couple of minutes till the corn soup thickens and corn flour gets cooked.
10: check the seasonings. Pour the corn soup in soup bowls and Serve sweet corn soup hot garnished with chopped celery or scallion/spring onion greens or ground black pepper.
More Soup recipes
- 1 medium to large sized corn cob (sweet corn)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground or crushed black pepper or add as per taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped celery, skip if you don't have celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onions (scallions) or shallots
- 1 tablespoon oil (sunflower oil or olive oil) or butter
- 1.5 cups water or ¾ cup warm milk + ¾ cup water or 1.5 cups veg stock
- ½ tablespoon corn starch (corn flour) dissolved in 2 tablespoon water
- salt as required
making corn paste
- Boil the corn cobs. Scrape the corn kernels from the cob.
- Reserve some of the corn kernels aside, about 2 tbsp.
- Blend the remaining corn kernels with some water to a smooth paste.
making corn soup
- Heat oil or butter in a pan. Saute the spring onions if using them till they become transparent.
- Add the chopped celery and saute for a minute. Add the corn paste and stir. Add water or milk+water or veg stock. Stir and allow the soup to come to a boil.
- Now add the black pepper & salt & the remaining corn kernels. Stir & simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the corn flour paste. Stir and simmer for 2-3 minutes more till the soup thickens and the corn flour gets cooked.
- Check the seasoning and serve hot sweet corn soup.
- You can garnish the soup with some chopped celery or spring onions greens.
- It goes very well with some garlic or toasted bread.