sweet corn soup recipe with step by step photos. delicious creamy corn soup made with sweet corn, herbs and spices.
this is one of those soups which i have been making since ages right from my teens. the recipe of sweet corn soup was always requested by my parents and sis when they wanted me to cook indo-chinese food for them.
the other recipes in the indo-chinese category that i would cook often were veg manchurian, chilli paneer, mushroom manchurian & veg fried rice. so during the vacations when the cooking fairy would inspire me, i would end up cooking a lot of stuff apart from indo chinese recipes.
since this is my original recipe and i have been making this yum sweet corn soup for many years, i haven’t much tweaked or adapted the recipe. i keep the flavorings in the soup minimal so that the taste of the sweet corn comes through the soup. thats what you want to taste in a corn soup right?
for this sweet corn soup soup, you can use the american sweet corn or the regular corn. since i have made the soup with both of them, i can assure you both ways they taste good.
i have shared 2 more corn soup recipes on blog:
- sweet corn vegetable soup which has a creamy and thick consistency.
- makai ka shorba recipe which is thin light indian style soup made from sweet corn.
i used to make this sweet corn soup with half-half of milk and water. the milk would also contribute to the sweetness in the soup. in the recipe post, i have used water. i never have vegetable stock ready at home, so the soups are made with water, milk or nut-milks. if you have veg stock, then you can add it to the soup.
sometimes i add spring onions to the soup. in the recipe view below i have mentioned the details of adding spring onions. again grated or finely chopped veggies can also be added. another ingredient which i never use while cooking indo chinese food is ajinomoto.
for making the sweet corn soup, i do not use cream styled sweet corn from the tins, as i just don’t like the taste nor texture. i have had the cream styled corn soup versions in restaurants and i did not like it. its always best to use fresh veggies when you cook instead of using tinned stuff.
use freshly ground pepper as the aroma from freshly ground or crushed pepper adds a lot of depth to this simple sweet corn soup.
if you are looking for more soup recipes then do check:
sweet corn soup recipe below:
- 1 medium to large sized corn cob (makai or bhutta or sweet corn)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground or crushed black pepper (kali mirch powder) or add as per taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped celery, skip if you don't have celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onions (scallions or hara pyaaz) or shallots
- 1 tablespoon oil (sunflower oil or olive oil) or butter
- 1.5 cups water OR ¾ cup warm milk + ¾ cup water OR 1.5 cups veg stock
- ½ tablespoon corn starch (corn flour) dissolved in 2 tablespoon water
- salt as required
boil the corn cobs. scrape the corn kernels from the cob.
reserve some of the corn kernels aside, about 2 tbsp.
- blend the remaining corn kernels with some water to a smooth paste.
- heat oil or butter in a pan. saute the spring onions if using them till they become transparent.
- add the chopped celery and saute for a minute. add the corn paste and stir. add water or milk+water or veg stock. stir and allow the soup to come to a boil.
- now add the black pepper & salt & the remaining corn kernels. stir & simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- add the corn flour paste. stir and simmer for 2-3 minutes more till the soup thickens and the corn flour gets cooked.
- check the seasoning and serve hot sweet corn soup.
garnish corn soup with some chopped celery or spring onions greens.
- the sweet corn soup goes very well with some garlic or toasted bread.
this approximate nutrition info is per serving:
how to make sweet corn soup recipe:
1: first boil or steam the corn cobs. this can be done in a pan, steamer or pressure cooker. drain and let the corn cobs cool.
2: with a knife, scrape the corn kernels from the cobs.
3: blend the corn kernels with some water in a blender till smooth. keep aside a few corn kernels.
4: heat oil or butter in a pan. add the chopped celery and saute for a minute till the flavors of the celery comes through in the oil. if using spring onions/scallions, then add now. saute the spring onions till they turn translucent.
5: add the corn paste and stir.
6: pour water or veg stock and stir again.
7: let the soup come to a boil. add freshly ground pepper & salt & the remaining corn kernels.
8: simmer for a few minutes.
9: lastly add corn flour paste. this is done to thicken the sweet corn soup. simmer for a couple of minutes till the corn soup thickens and corn flour gets cooked.
10: check the seasonings. pour the corn soup in soup bowls and serve sweet corn soup hot garnished with chopped celery or scallion/spring onion greens or ground black pepper.