Cream of broccoli soup recipe – continuing the series of soups, here is another creamy soup made with broccoli.
The cream of broccoli soup recipe is similar to the Mushroom soup i had posted a few weeks back. The entire soup is made in one pot and thats how I prefer to cook my soups. Everything cooked and simmered in one pot.
In this recipe I have not used cream. Pureed broccoli along with milk, makes the soup smooth and creamy. But if you want, you can garnish the soup with some cream.
Broccoli is not a much loved veggie in my house, so I prefer to disguise it in soups like these or in a mixed vegetable curry or pasta. This cream of broccoli soup can be served plain or with a toasted buttered bread or baguette.
If you are looking for more Vegetarian soup recipes then do check:
cream of broccoli soup
- 200 to 250 grams broccoli - 1 medium broccoli head
- 1 small onion chopped - about ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves - chopped
- ¼ teaspoon dry oregano or any of your favorite herb or mixed dry herbs
- 1 pinch nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg
- 1.5 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1.5 cups full fat whole milk
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon all purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoon butter
- salt as required
- freshly crushed black pepper as required
blanching broccoli florets
- First break the broccoli into florets or you can chop them.
- Heat enough water with 1/4 tsp salt in a pot. Let the water vigorously boil.
- Switch off the flame and add the broccoli florets.
- Wait for about 15-20 seconds and then drain the florets. Reserve a few broccoli florets for garnish.
- The above blanching method is to get rid of the insects in the broccoli.
making cream of broccoli soup
- Heat butter in a sauce pan. Add the onions and garlic and saute till they soften.
- Add the flour. Stir and saute for 2 minutes on a low flame.
- Then add the drained broccoli. Stir and then add water or vegetable stock.
- Stir well and cover the pan with its lid.
- Simmer till the broccoli is cooked well and tender... About 6 to 7 mins.
- Do check in between.
- In the meantime heat milk on stove top or in the microwave.
- No need to boil, just heat the milk.
- When the soup mixture is still slightly hot or warm, using an immersion hand blender, blend the soup till smooth in the same sauce pan. You can also blend in a regular electric blender.
- Add hot milk to the pureed soup and stir well.
- Keep the soup pan on the stove top and begin to simmer on a low flame.
- Season with oregano.
- Just gently heat through the soup. No need to bring it to a boil. Give occasional stirs.
- Lastly season with salt, freshly crushed black pepper and nutmeg powder.
- Pour soup into individual serving bowls and garnish with broccoli florets.
- You can also top the cream of broccoli soup with some grated cheddar or sliced cheese like parmesan. Toasted bread croutons can also be used as a garnish.
- Serve cream of broccoli soup hot, plain or with toasted buttered bread or baguette.