Cream of broccoli soup recipe – continuing the series of soups, here is another creamy soup made with broccoli.
The cream of broccoli soup recipe is similar to the Mushroom soup i had posted a few weeks back. The entire soup is made in one pot and thats how I prefer to cook my soups. Everything cooked and simmered in one pot.
In this recipe I have not used cream. Pureed broccoli along with milk, makes the soup smooth and creamy. But if you want, you can garnish the soup with some cream.
Broccoli is not a much loved veggie in my house, so I prefer to disguise it in soups like these or in a mixed vegetable curry or pasta. This cream of broccoli soup can be served plain or with a toasted buttered bread or baguette.
If you are looking for more Vegetarian soup recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
cream of broccoli soup
- 200 to 250 grams broccoli - 1 medium broccoli head
- 1 small onion chopped - about ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves - chopped
- ¼ teaspoon dry oregano or any of your favorite herb or mixed dry herbs
- 1 pinch nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg
- 1.5 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1.5 cups whole milk
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon all purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoon butter
- salt as required
- freshly crushed black pepper as required
blanching broccoli florets
- First break the broccoli into florets or you can chop them.
- Heat enough water with 1/4 tsp salt in a pot. Let the water vigorously boil.
- Switch off the flame and add the broccoli florets.
- Wait for about 15-20 seconds and then drain the florets. Reserve a few broccoli florets for garnish.
- The above blanching method is to get rid of the insects in the broccoli.
making cream of broccoli soup
- Heat butter in a sauce pan. Add the onions and garlic and saute till they soften.
- Add the flour. Stir and saute for 2 minutes on a low flame.
- Then add the drained broccoli. Stir and then add water or vegetable stock.
- Stir well and cover the pan with its lid.
- Simmer till the broccoli is cooked well and tender... About 6 to 7 mins.
- Do check in between.
- In the meantime heat milk on stove top or in the microwave.
- No need to boil, just heat the milk.
- When the soup mixture is still slightly hot or warm, using an immersion hand blender, blend the soup till smooth in the same sauce pan. You can also blend in a regular electric blender.
- Add hot milk to the pureed soup and stir well.
- Keep the soup pan on the stove top and begin to simmer on a low flame.
- Season with oregano.
- Just gently heat through the soup. No need to bring it to a boil. Give occasional stirs.
- Lastly season with salt, freshly crushed black pepper and nutmeg powder.
- Pour soup into individual serving bowls and garnish with broccoli florets.
- You can also top the cream of broccoli soup with some grated cheddar or sliced cheese like parmesan. Toasted bread croutons can also be used as a garnish.
- Serve cream of broccoli soup hot, plain or with toasted buttered bread or baguette.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.