Palak soup recipe with step by step photos and video. Here is one easy and tasty low-calorie Spinach soup recipe. I love soups and especially when its raining or during winter time. It is too comforting to sip and sip from a bowl of steaming hot soup in cold weather.
This spinach soup is a good way to include healthy greens in your diet and is low calorie too. Despite being one of the healthiest greens, not everyone likes the taste of spinach and that is especially true in the case of some kids and adults alike.
I do make a lot of spinach-based dishes and not all go well with the rest of the family. We are all picky eaters. Fortunately, my hubby who does not like spinach at all, relished this soup. If you want to check more spinach recipes then check this link → Palak recipes.
Generally the combination of spinach goes very well with cream. I have not used cream in this palak soup recipe. so to give a subtle sweetness to this soup, I have added besan aka gram flour. Adding gram flour, not only imparts a very mild sweetness in the soup but also helps in thickening the soup. Addition of the freshly crushed pepper makes the soup warming and spiced.
The palak soup can be served plain or with some crusty bread or even as a starter. You can also add some cooked macaroni in the soup.
I made a video (embedded in the recipe card below) so that you can see its ridiculously easy to make this soup with ingredients that are easily available in your kitchen.
How to make palak soup
1. First rinse the palak (spinach leaves) very well in water.
2. Then chop them and keep aside.
Sauteing palak soup mixture
3. Heat 1 to 1.5 tablespoon oil or butter in a saucepan or kadai. Add one tej patta (Indian bay leaf) and saute for 2-3 seconds.
4. Then add 2 to 3 chopped garlic. Saute till the garlic is lightly browned or browned. Don’t burn the garlic. Fry the garlic on a low flame.
5. Then add ¼ cup chopped onions.
6. Saute till the onions are softened.
7. Add 1.5 to 2 cups chopped spinach.
8. Stir and season with black pepper and salt as required.
9. Now add 1 tablespoon besan or gram flour.
10. Stir and mix well.
Cooking palak soup mixture
11. Pour 2 cups water.
12. Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer for 3-4 minutes.
13. Add ¼ teaspoon cumin powder.
14. Stir well.
15. Switch off the fire and let the soup mixture cool or become warm.
16. Remove the tej patta (Indian bay leaf).
Making spinach soup
17. Then blend with a hand blender or in a mixer till smooth.
18. Check the seasoning and add some more salt or black pepper powder, if required.
19. If the soup looks thick, then add ¼ or ½ cup water and stir.
20. Keep the well-blended spinach soup back on the stove for simmering for 2-3 minutes.
21. serve Spinach soup hot sprinkled with some freshly crushed black pepper. You can also sprinkle some grated paneer, cheese or add some low-fat cream if you want.
More Soup recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 1.5 to 2 cups spinach (palak), chopped
- ¼ cup onions, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon gram flour (besan)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf) - small size
- 2 cups water
- 1 or 1.5 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- black pepper powder as required
- salt as required
- cream for topping (optional)
- some freshly crushed black pepper or grated cheese or paneer/cottage cheese or cream for garnishing - optional
- First rinse the palak leaves (spinach) very well in water.
- Then chop the palak leaves and keep aside.
sauteing and cooking spinach soup mixture
- Heat oil or butter in a sauce pan. Add the bay leaf and fry for 2-3 seconds
- Now add the chopped garlic and fry till the garlic is light browned or browned. Don't burn the garlic.
- Saute the garlic on a low flame. Add chopped onions and saute till the onions are softened.
- Add the chopped palak/spinach. Stir and season with black pepper and salt.
- Now add the besan or gram flour. Stir well and pour 2 cups water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add cumin powder and stir well.
- Switch off the fire and let the soup mixture cool.
making spinach soup
- When the mixture's heat has reduced or has become warm, then blend with a hand blender or in a mixer till smooth.
- Remove the tej patta (indian bay leaf) while blending.
- Check the seasoning and add some more salt or pepper if required.
- If the soup looks thick, then add 1/4 or 1/2 cup water and stir.
- Keep the well blended soup back on the stove for simmering for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve spinach soup hot sprinkled with some freshly crushed black pepper or grated paneer, cheese or topped with some cream.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later