sweet and sour vegetables recipe – it is a popular indo chinese recipe. the sauce in which vegetables are simmered is sweet and sour and hence this title.
really easy to prepare and you can use your choice of mixed veggies. sweet and sour vegetables accompany very well with veg fried rice, veg noodles, veg hakka noodles, schezwan noodles or even just plain steamed rice or noodles.
i had made this dish to go with with mushroom fried rice rice. since celery, bell pepper and other herbs used in indo chinese cooking are easily available near my place….. so nowadays i am venturing again into indo chinese recipes.
the sweetness in the dish comes from tomato sauce and the sourness comes from both soy sauce and vinegar. i have used apple cider in place of white vinegar. you can easily add white vinegar if you don’t have apple cider.
the vegetables have to stir fried on a high flame and needs continuous stirring so that they do not get burned. i have blanched the veggies first, so that they cook faster when stir frying. the veggies need not be cooked till soft. you can have some crunch in them.
the dish is not spicy at all and can even go well with children. this can also be a party dish if you are planning to have an indo chinese menu. serve sweet and sour vegetables hot with schezwan fried rice or steamed rice or chow mein noodles or chilli garlic noodles or plain noodles.
the recipe has been adapted from sanjeev kapoor’s book “chinese cooking“. the best part of this recipe is that all the ingredients are easily available at home… may be perhaps for celery. skip the celery if you don’t have them.
if you are looking for more indo chinese recipes then do check:
sweet and sour vegetables recipe below:
sweet and sour vegetables recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 small to medium carrot, chopped
- 7 to 9 french beans, sliced diagonally
- a small head of cauliflower or broccoli, chopped - approx 1.5 cup cauliflower florets
- 3 to 4 button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, quartered and the layers separated
- 1 medium bell pepper (capsicum or shimla mirch)- red or green or yellow, chopped or cut into 1 inch squares
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon naturally fermented soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or white vinegar
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (lahsun)
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped (adrak)
- ½ to 1 tablespoon sugar or as required
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon corn starch (corn flour) dissolved in ½ cup water
- salt as required
- black pepper as required
how to make recipe?
- rinse, peel and chop all the veggies first.
- quarter the onion and separate the layers.
- heat 2 to 3 cups water with 1 tsp salt till the water starts boiling.
- add the carrots, french beans, cauliflower to the hot water.
- switch off the fire and cover and keep aside for 5-10 minutes.
- drain and keep aside.
- if you want to preserve the colors of the veggies, then just drain and keep the veggies in cold water.
making sweet and sour vegetables recipe:
- heat oil in a wok or kadai.
- add the chopped ginger and garlic and stir fry on high flame for half a minute.
- then add the onions and stir fry for 2-3 minutes on a high flame.
- add the bell pepper and mushrooms and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- then add the blanched veggies - cauliflower, french beans and carrots and stir fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- add the celery and stir fry for a minute. in a small bowl, mix the soy sauce and tomato sauce.
- add these two sauces to the veggies. stir and season with pepper, sugar and salt.
- stir and add 2 cups of water or veg stock.
- let the sauce get heated through and come to a simmer.
- dissolve the 2 tbsp corn starch with 1/2 cup water to a smooth paste
- add the corn starch paste to the veggies and stir briskly so that no lumps are formed.
- simmer till the corn starch gets cooked in the sauce and the sauce thickens.
- lastly add the apple cider or vinegar.
- stir through and serve sweet and sour vegetables hot with veg fried rice or steamed rice or plain noodles.
- you can alter the sugar in the recipe as per your taste buds. also depends on the sweetness in the tomato sauce.
- even the vinegar & soy sauce can be adjusted as per your requirements.