Chilli baby corn is a snack or starter recipe of crispy & spicy pan-fried baby corn. A vegan dish.
This Indo Chinese recipe is a hit with many folks. I usually make chilli baby corn as a side dish when I have a Indo Chinese menu at home.
This chilli baby corn recipe is a crisp version and a semi-dry dish. Its has some moistness, hence I call it semi-dry. There is no gravy and the sauce coats the fried baby corn. I have also shared the recipe of Chilli baby corn gravy.
Usually in any Indo Chinese dish, that has the tag “chilly”, capsicum is always added. I wonder why. Neither its hot nor has any “chilli” factor in it.
When for the first time and even later, as a kid when I had a chilli Chinese dish….there was no capsicum in these dishes at all. Just green chilies… And thats what I would think then, thats these dishes have the tag of chilli, since green chilies are added. But I think I was and am wrong. Even the Goan chilli fry, does not have a great number of chilies. So why the name chilli fry, I wonder.
However, the Indo Chinese chilli dish, does have green chilies and green capsicum (green bell pepper) too. I have not added capsicum. If you want you can add some capsicum. Quantity is mentioned in the recipe details below.
I have Pan fried the batter coated baby corn, as I wanted a lighter and healthier dish. For extra crispness, you can shallow or deep fry the baby corn. you can Serve chilli baby corn as a starter or with bread or even veg fried rice.
Few more snacks recipes for you!
Chilli Baby Corn
- 12 to 15 baby corn
- ½ inch ginger - finely chopped
- 2 to 3 green chilies - slit
- 3 to 4 garlic - finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped onion or spring onions
- 1 small capsicum - thinly sliced (green bell pepper)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or as required
- ½ teaspoon apple cider or white vinegar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chopped celery
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon corn starch (corn flour) to be sprinkled from above
- salt as required
- black pepper powder as required
- sugar as required
- 2 to 3 teaspoon oil for frying the baby corn
- 1 tablespoon oil for the sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoon cornstarch (cornflour)
- water as required to make a thick paste
- salt and pepper as required
making batter for chilli baby corn
- Make a smooth paste with the cornflour, all purpose flour (maida), salt, pepper and water.
- Rinse and dry the baby corn with kitchen towels.
- Chop the baby corn if they are larger in size or keep them whole if they are smaller.
- Heat oil on a tava or a frying pan.
- Dip each baby corn piece in the batter and coat it well with the batter.
- Pan fry the baby corn till the edges and sides are golden brown.
- Since we have used less oil, you don't need to drain the babycorn on kitchen napkins.
making chilli baby corn
- In another pan or kadai or wok, heat about 1 tbsp oil.
- Add chopped onions or spring onions, ginger, garlic and slit green chilies.
- Stir fry on a medium flame till the onions have become translucent.
- (if adding capsicum, add now. Stir fry till the capsicum have partly cooked but still retain their crunch.)
- Add the soy sauce and stir well.
- Now sprinkle black pepper powder, salt and sugar.
- Add 2 tbsp water and stir.
- Add the pan fried baby corn with chopped celery to this mixture. Stir well.
- To give a glaze and smoothness in the dish, sprinkle about 1 tsp of corn flour.
- Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes or more till the corn flour has cooked.
- Lastly add the apple cider or white vinegar and stir again.
- Check the seasonings and add salt, pepper or soy sauce if required.
- Serve the baby corn garnished with some spring onions or chopped celery.
- You can serve chilli baby corn as a starter or with bread or even veg fried rice.