Chilli baby corn is a snack or starter recipe of crispy & spicy pan-fried baby corn. A vegan dish.
This Indo Chinese recipe is a hit with many folks. I usually make chilli baby corn as a side dish when I have a Indo Chinese menu at home.
This chilli baby corn recipe is a crisp version and a semi-dry dish. Its has some moistness, hence I call it semi-dry. There is no gravy and the sauce coats the fried baby corn. I have also shared the recipe of Chilli baby corn gravy.
Usually in any Indo Chinese dish, that has the tag “chilly”, capsicum is always added. I wonder why. Neither its hot nor has any “chilli” factor in it.
When for the first time and even later, as a kid when I had a chilli Chinese dish….there was no capsicum in these dishes at all. Just green chilies… And thats what I would think then, thats these dishes have the tag of chilli, since green chilies are added. But I think I was and am wrong. Even the Goan chilli fry, does not have a great number of chilies. So why the name chilli fry, I wonder.
However, the Indo Chinese chilli dish, does have green chilies and green capsicum (green bell pepper) too. I have not added capsicum. If you want you can add some capsicum. Quantity is mentioned in the recipe details below.
I have Pan fried the batter coated baby corn, as I wanted a lighter and healthier dish. For extra crispness, you can shallow or deep fry the baby corn. you can Serve chilli baby corn as a starter or with bread or even veg fried rice.
Few more snacks recipes for you!
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
Chilli Baby Corn
- 12 to 15 baby corn
- ½ inch ginger - finely chopped
- 2 to 3 green chilies - slit
- 3 to 4 garlic - finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped onion or spring onions
- 1 small capsicum - thinly sliced (green bell pepper)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or as required
- ½ teaspoon apple cider or white vinegar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chopped celery
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon corn starch (corn flour) to be sprinkled from above
- salt as required
- black pepper powder as required
- sugar as required
- 2 to 3 teaspoon oil for frying the baby corn
- 1 tablespoon oil for the sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoon cornstarch (cornflour)
- water as required to make a thick paste
- salt and pepper as required
making batter for chilli baby corn
- Make a smooth paste with the cornflour, all purpose flour (maida), salt, pepper and water.
- Rinse and dry the baby corn with kitchen towels.
- Chop the baby corn if they are larger in size or keep them whole if they are smaller.
- Heat oil on a tava or a frying pan.
- Dip each baby corn piece in the batter and coat it well with the batter.
- Pan fry the baby corn till the edges and sides are golden brown.
- Since we have used less oil, you don't need to drain the babycorn on kitchen napkins.
making chilli baby corn
- In another pan or kadai or wok, heat about 1 tbsp oil.
- Add chopped onions or spring onions, ginger, garlic and slit green chilies.
- Stir fry on a medium flame till the onions have become translucent.
- (if adding capsicum, add now. Stir fry till the capsicum have partly cooked but still retain their crunch.)
- Add the soy sauce and stir well.
- Now sprinkle black pepper powder, salt and sugar.
- Add 2 tbsp water and stir.
- Add the pan fried baby corn with chopped celery to this mixture. Stir well.
- To give a glaze and smoothness in the dish, sprinkle about 1 tsp of corn flour.
- Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes or more till the corn flour has cooked.
- Lastly add the apple cider or white vinegar and stir again.
- Check the seasonings and add salt, pepper or soy sauce if required.
- Serve the baby corn garnished with some spring onions or chopped celery.
- You can serve chilli baby corn as a starter or with bread or even veg fried rice.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.