chilli baby corn recipe with video – this indo chinese recipe is a hit with many folks. i usually make chilli baby corn as a side dish when i have a indo chinese menu at home.
this chilli baby corn recipe is a crisp version and a semi dry dish. its has some moistness, hence i call it semi dry. there is no gravy and the sauce coats the fried baby corn. i have also shared the chilli baby corn gravy recipe.
usually in any indo chinese dish, that has the tag “chilly”, capsicum is always added. i wonder why. neither its hot nor has any “chilli” factor in it.
when for the first time and even later, as a kid when i had a chilli chinese dish….there was no capsicum in these dishes at all. just green chilies… and thats what i would think then, thats these dishes have the tag of chilli, since green chilies are added. but i think i was and am wrong. even the goan chilli fry, does not have a great number of chilies. so why the name chilli fry, i wonder.
however, the indo chinese chilli dish, does have green chilies and green capsicum (green bell pepper) too. i have not added capsicum. if you want you can add some capsicum. quantity is mentioned in the recipe details below.
i have pan fried the batter coated baby corn, as i wanted a lighter and healthier dish. for extra crispness, you can shallow or deep fry the baby corn. you can serve chilli baby corn as a starter or with bread or even veg fried rice.
few more snacks recipes for you!
chilli baby corn
INGREDIENTS FOR chilli baby corn
main ingredients for chilli baby corn
- 12 to 15 baby corn
- ½ inch ginger - finely chopped (adrak)
- 2 to 3 green chilies - slit (hari mirch)
- 3 to 4 garlic - finely chopped (lahsun)
- ½ cup finely chopped onion or spring onions
- 1 small capsicum - thinly sliced (green bell pepper or shimla mirch)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or as required
- ½ teaspoon apple cider or white vinegar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chopped celery
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon corn starch (corn flour) to be sprinkled from above
- salt as required
- black pepper powder as required
- sugar as required
- 2 to 3 teaspoon oil for frying the baby corn
- 1 tablespoon oil for the sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoon all purpose flour (maida)
- 2 to 3 tablespoon cornstarch (cornflour)
- water as required to make a thick paste
- salt and pepper as required
HOW TO MAKE chilli baby corn
making batter for chilli baby corn
- make a smooth paste with the cornflour, all purpose flour (maida), salt, pepper and water.
- rinse and dry the baby corn with kitchen towels.
- chop the baby corn if they are larger in size or keep them whole if they are smaller.
- heat oil on a tava or a frying pan.
- dip each baby corn piece in the batter and coat it well with the batter.
- pan fry the baby corn till the edges and sides are golden brown.
- since we have used less oil, you don't need to drain the babycorn on kitchen napkins.
making chilli baby corn
- in another pan or kadai or wok, heat about 1 tbsp oil.
- add chopped onions or spring onions, ginger, garlic and slit green chilies.
- stir fry on a medium flame till the onions have become translucent.
- (if adding capsicum, add now. stir fry till the capsicum have partly cooked but still retain their crunch.)
- add the soy sauce and stir well.
- now sprinkle black pepper powder, salt and sugar.
- add 2 tbsp water and stir.
- add the pan fried baby corn with chopped celery to this mixture. stir well.
- to give a glaze and smoothness in the dish, sprinkle about 1 tsp of corn flour.
- mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes or more till the corn flour has cooked.
- lastly add the apple cider or white vinegar and stir again.
- check the seasonings and add salt, pepper or soy sauce if required.
- serve the baby corn garnished with some spring onions or chopped celery.
- you can serve chilli baby corn as a starter or with bread or even veg fried rice.