hakka noodles recipe with step by step photos. hakka noodles is a popular indo chinese dish that one can get in most restaurants in india and in the roadside chinese street food joints. this veg hakka noodles recipe taste delicious and will have you craving for more.
hakka noodles is not only popular with kids, but also with grown ups. few more popular noodles recipes on blog are:
a few pointers to make tasty hakka noodles:
- the veggies added to hakka noodles have to really chopped fine or cut into julienne or grated as all the stir frying is done at a high heat.
- make sure to use a wok or kadai or a pan with handles, so that you keep on moving the pan when tossing and stir frying the noodles.
- to get an authentic chinese like taste, i recommend three ingredients – toasted sesame oil, celery and rice vinegar or rice wine. adding these ingredients makes a lot of difference to the final dish.
- celery is not available everywhere in india. so if you do not have celery, then just skip it.
- also instead of rice vinegar add white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- instead of toasted sesame oil, use sunflower oil or any other oil.
- also try to use naturally fermented soy sauce as it gives a lovely fermented taste and flavor to the noodles.
many readers ask me what is celery and where to get it. celery is a herb that is easily available in most super stores and super markets in the indian metros. you can also grow celery in a pot. either buy the plant from a nursery or plant the seeds. best way is to chop the celery from its base and plant the base in the soil. here is a shrub of celery from my balcony herb garden. more info here on wikipedia.
rice vinegar is also easily available in most major indian cities. i started using both rice vinegar and rice wine recently while making chinese food and felt that they give a distinct flavor and aroma to the recipe.
the vegetables can be of your choice. in this hakka noodles recipe i have used mushrooms, carrots and french beans. i forgot to add bell pepper (capsicum) and remembered when the noodles were half done. you can also add finely shredded cabbage.
veg hakka noodles can be served plain or with a indo chinese saucy dish like vegetable manchurian.
hakka noodles recipe below:
hakka noodles recipe | vegetable hakka noodles recipe
veg hakka noodles recipe - an indo chinese preparation with hakka noodles and mix vegetables.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 200 grams hakka noodles - 1 pack of hakka noodles
- 3 to 4 small to medium spring onions, finely chopped, reserve a few greens for garnish
- 1 small to medium carrot, finely chopped or julienned
- 8 to 10 french beans, finely chopped
- 4 to 5 button mushrooms finely chopped * check notes
- 1 small to medium bell pepper - red green or yellow, finely chopped or julienned
- 1.5 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 to 3 dry red chilies (broken and deseeded) or fresh green chilies (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped celery
- ¼ teaspoon rice vinegar or white vinegar or rice wine
- ½ tablespoon naturally fermented soy sauce or regular soy sauce or add as required
- ½ tablespoon oil for coating the noodles
- 2 tablespoons oil for stir frying
- salt and pepper as required
- enough water to cook the noodles
how to make recipe
preparation for hakka noodles recipe:
- heat enough water in a pan with salt and a few drops of oil, till it comes to a boil.
- add the hakka noodles and cook according to the package instructions.
- when the noodles are cooking, rinse and chop all the veggies or you can chop the veggies before you start cooking the noodles.
- drain and rinse the noodles in running water, so that the noodles stop cooking.
- then add oil and gently mix, so that the oil gets evenly coated on the noodles.
- keep the noodles aside.
making hakka noodles recipe:
- heat oil in a wok or kadai or a pan.
- on medium heat, first add the dry red chilies and garlic.
- saute for a minute, then add the finely chopped spring onions and french beans
- increase the flame and stir fry for 3 minutes.
add the mushrooms, carrots, bell pepper (capsicum) and celery.
stir fry all the veggies on a high flame till the veggies start getting slightly browned from the edges. this will take about 5 to 6 mins after adding the carrots.
- add soy sauce and stir.
- add the hakka noodles and toss it well and stir fry for a minute on high heat.
season with salt and pepper. also add rice vinegar or white vinegar. continue to toss and cook the hakka noodles on a high flame for a minute.
- toss the whole mixture well and the add the chopped spring onion greens or garnish the hakka noodles with spring onions while serving.
- serve hakka noodles plain or accompanied with veg manchurian curry or vegetables in hot and sour sauce.
- * the mushrooms have to be chopped fine, so that they cook quickly on a high heat while stir frying. since mushrooms are used in this recipe, there is quite some moisture while stir frying the veggies which won't be there if mushrooms are not added. you may have to reduce the time of stir frying if not using mushrooms.
how to make hakka noodles recipe:
1. first finely chop all the veggies and keep aside.
2. boil enough water in a pot or pan with some salt and a few drops of oil.
3. add the hakka noodles.
4. cook the hakka noodles according to the package instructions. the noodles have to be cooked till al dente or just about cooked. you can also cook them more if you want.
5. drain cooked noodles in a colander. then rinse the noodles in running water very well. this method stops the cooking process and removes the starch.
6. add oil.
7. toss the noodles well, so that the oil gets coated evenly on the noodles. this method gets rid of stickiness from the noodles.
making hakka noodles recipe:
8. heat oil in a pan or wok. on medium heat, first saute the red chilies and garlic for about a minute.
9. increase the flame and then add the finely chopped spring onions, french beans. stir fry on a high heat for about 3 minutes.
10. add the mushrooms, carrots and celery and continue stir frying. if using cabbage and capsicum, you can add at this step.
11. stir fry for about 5 to 6 minutes till the edges of the veggies start to slightly brown. i like the veggies to be cooked more, than what is the norm usually for this recipe. you can cut down on the stir frying time, if you prefer half cooked or more crunchy veggies.
12. add soy sauce and stir.
13. add the hakka noodles and keep on tossing and stir frying the noodles.
14. season with salt and black pepper and rice vinegar or white vinegar or rice wine.
15. toss well again and stir fry for a minute. switch off the flame and add spring onion greens and mix well. or you can garnish the hakka noodles with spring onions while serving.
16. serve vegetable hakka noodles plain or accompanied with a indo chinese dish like gobi manchurian or veg manchurian or paneer manchurian or baby corn manchurian or chilly mushroom or mushroom manchurian.