Schezwan noodles recipe with step by step photos – Spicy and tasty stir fried vegetable noodles with schezwan sauce. A Vegan Recipe.
Recently when I made schezwan sauce at home, then it was obvious to make a few recipes with it. so I made the schezwan fried rice and this schezwan noodles recipe. I also served the spicy sauce as a condiment with pakoras and Veg momos.
Schezwan noodles is a popular Indo Chinese recipe and is also a popular Indian street food.
In fact in Mumbai, there are few more schezwan recipes which are quite popular like schezwan masala dosa, vegetables in schezwan sauce, schezwan chilli potatoes, schezwan dosa and so on. I have also heard of schezwan vada, thanks to one of my readers.
Schezwan noodles recipe is quite similar to Hakka noodles except the fact, that instead of soy sauce we use schezwan sauce in schezwan noodles.
Like I have mentioned in my schezwan fried rice post, To get the smoky flavor, increase the stovetop flame to the maximum and stir fry the veggies on a high heat. If the veggies start to getting burnt, then you can reduce the flame.
However, if you use a good wok or pan with a heavy base, then there won’t be issues of the vegetables getting burnt. Also continuous stirring while frying, ensures that the vegetables are browned evenly.
These Vegan Schezwan noodles can be served just like that without any accompaniments. A hot bowl of spicy noodles for the monsoons…. Finally raining here and we are relieved 🙂
How to make schezwan noodles
1. boil enough water in a pot or pan with some salt and a few drops of oil.
2. Add the noodles in the hot boiling water.
3. No need to break the noodles. At least I don’t break the noodles. I have used hakka noodles here, but you can use any good quality noodles.
4. cook the hakka noodles according to the package instructions.
5. When the noodles are just about cooked, meaning al dente, its time to strain them.
6. Strain the noodles in a colander.
7. rinse the noodles in running water very well. This method stops the cooking process and removes the starch.
8. Add oil to noodles.
9. toss the noodles gently, so that the oil gets coated evenly on the noodles. This method gets rid of stickiness from the noodles. Keep aside covered and let the noodles cool completely before you add them to the stir fried veggies.
Making schezwan noodles
10. Heat oil in a pan or wok. On medium heat, add the garlic and saute for a few seconds.
11. Increase the flame and then add the finely chopped spring onions/scallions whites. Stir fry on high heat for about 1 minute.
12. Add the french beans.
13. Keep on stir-frying on high flame for about 3 to 4 minutes.
14. Add the remaining veggies – finely chopped carrots, capsicum (green bell pepper), mushrooms. You can even add cabbage. I added the veggies which were there in the kitchen.
15. Keep on stir frying the veggies on the high flame.
16. Stir fry for about 7 to 8 minutes till the edges of the veggies start to slightly brown. i usually prefer the veggies to be cooked more. You can cut down on the stir-frying time if you prefer half cooked or more crunchy veggies.
17. Now reduce the flame to medium heat and add schezwan sauce, salt and black pepper. The amount of schezwan sauce can be added as per your taste.
18. add the hakka noodles in batches and stir fry.
19. increase the flame and keep on tossing and stir-frying the noodles till the schezwan sauce coats all the noodles well.
20. Add rice vinegar or white vinegar and mix well.
21. Add the chopped spring onion greens to schezwan noodles. Stir.
22. Serve schezwan noodles hot in serving bowls or plates. You can accompany some more schezwan sauce in separate small bowls, if people want to have a more helping of spice in their food.
Few more favorite noodles recipes !
- Noodles recipe – easy and tasty street food recipe of vegetable noodles.
- Chinese bhel – one of the popular fusion recipe with a sweet, tangy and spicy taste.
- Chopsuey recipe – this recipe of American chopsuey gives you one of the best tasting veg chopsuey.
- Chilli garlic noodles – this recipe has noodles spiced up with dry red chilies, garlic and red chili sauce.
- Chowmein recipe – tasty street food recipe of stir fried noodles with mixed vegetables.
Have you made this recipe and liked it? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below or share the recipe on facebook, whatsapp, twitter & pinterest. For recipe updates Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and Twitter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
Schezwan Noodles (Spicy)
for cooking noodles
- 150 grams hakka noodles or plain noodles or 1 pack of noodles
- 5 cups of water to cook noodles
- 1 to 2 teaspoon oil to coat the noodles
- 2 to 3 drops of oil to be added while heating water.
other ingredients for schezwan noodles
- 1.5 to 2 cups finely chopped vegetables (a mix of carrots. beans, cabbage, mushrooms, capsicum/green bell pepper)
- 2 to 3 small spring onions or 1-2 medium spring onions or 1/4 cup spring onions - finely chopped, reserve the greens for garnish
- 3 to 4 garlic finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon schezwan sauce, you can add more for a more spicy taste
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon black pepper powder or as required
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or regular white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon of spring onion greens
- 2 tablespoon oil for stir frying
- salt as required
- Boil 5 cups of water in a pot or pan with some salt and a few drops of oil.
- Add the noodles in the hot boiling water.
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions.
- When the noodles are just about cooked, meaning al dente, then strain the noodles in a colander.
- Rinse the noodles in running water very well. This method stops the cooking process and removes the starch.
- Add oil to noodles. Toss the noodles gently, so that the oil gets coated evenly on the noodles. This method gets rid of stickiness from the noodles.
- Let the noodles cool completely before you add them to the stir fried veggies.
stir frying veggies for schezwan noodles
- Heat oil in a pan or wok. On medium heat, add the garlic and saute for a few seconds.
- Increase the flame and then add the finely chopped spring onions/scallion whites. Stir fry on a high heat for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the french beans. Keep on stir frying on high flame for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining veggies - finely chopped carrots, capsicum (green bell pepper), mushrooms. Keep on stir frying the veggies on the high flame.
- Stir fry for about 7 to 8 minutes till the edges of the veggies start to slightly brown. You can cut down on the stir frying time, if you prefer half cooked or more crunchy veggies.
making schezwan noodles
- Now reduce the flame to medium heat and add schezwan sauce, salt and black pepper.
- Add the hakka noodles in batches and stir fry.
- Increase the flame and keep on tossing and stir frying the noodles till the schezwan sauce coats all the noodles well.
- Add rice vinegar or white vinegar and mix well. Check the seasoning and add more schezwan sauce, pepper and salt if required.
- Add the chopped spring onions to schezwan noodles. Stir.
- Serve schezwan noodles hot in serving bowls or plates.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.