mushroom fried rice recipe with step by step photos – delicious indo chinese recipe of fried rice with mushrooms. easy to cook and too good to taste.
this mushroom fried rice is one of those quick stir fried rice dishes that i love to make, especially when i have fresh celery at home. i cannot stress enough the flavors that celery bring into a chinese dish and i always recommend to use them when making any indo chinese food at home.
if you do not have celery, then you can easily replace coriander/cilantro with celery. the flavors which coriander will impart will surely be different, still the rice would taste great.
mushroom fried rice recipe is simple and can be quick too if you have some leftover rice. the whole dish is stir fried at a high flame and thats what imparts a restaurant like flavor in this dish. a lot of handwork is required when making this recipe. best is to use a wok or a pan with handles as when the heat becomes too high, you just lift the pan from the fire and then again keep it back while stir frying the ingredients by shaking the pan. few more fried rice recipes on blog are:
another suggestion is to use a naturally fermented soy sauce, that imparts the typical fermented flavor & taste to the rice. i have used kikkoman soy sauce here.
mushroom fried rice recipe below:
mushroom fried rice recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 heaped cup basmati rice or long grained rice
- 5 cups water for cooking rice
- 200 to 250 grams white button mushrooms
- 3 small to medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion or 2 to 3 small to medium spring onions, chopped finely
- ½ tablespoon chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon naturally fermented soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon oil
- salt and black pepper as required
how to make recipe
- first rinse the rice till the water runs clear of the starch.
then cook the rice in 5 cups of water with a few drops of oil and some salt.
the rice should be cooked al dente or just cooked.
- don't cook the rice till it becomes mushy or too soft. drain the rice in a colander and keep aside.
- after the initial steam passes from the rice, cover the colander with a lid.
- let the rice cool completely before you add it to the mushrooms.
making mushroom fried rice:
- heat oil in a wok or kadai. add the garlic and onions first and stir fry for 2 mins on a high flame.
- then add the chopped mushrooms and stir fry for 5-6 mins or more on a high flame till the mushrooms begins to get lightly browned from the edges.
- first the whole mixture will become watery as mushrooms will release water and slowly slowly the water will evaporate and you will see oil floating in the mixture.
- when the mushrooms start to become lightly browned, then add the celery and stir fry for a minute.
- add soy sauce, black pepper and salt.
stir and then add the rice. stir gently but briskly. stir fry the mushroom fried rice for 2-3 minutes.
- serve the mushroom fried rice hot garnished with celery or spring onion greens with a side indo chinese vegetable dish like veg balls in hot garlic sauce, sweet and sour vegetables, veg manchurian.
- to give some heat in the dish, you can add a bit of red chili powder or cayenne pepper.
- substitute fresh coriander/cilantro leaves if you do not have celery.
how to make mushroom fried rice recipe:
a) cooking rice:
1. first rinse 1 cup heaped basmati rice or long grained rice till the water runs clear of the starch.
2. drain the rice.
3. then cook the rice in 5 cups of water.
4. add few drops of oil.
5. lastly add some salt as required.
6. the rice should be cooked al dente or just cooked.
7. don’t cook the rice till it becomes mushy or too soft.
8. drain the rice in a colander and keep aside.
9. after the initial steam passes from the rice, cover the colander with a lid.
10. remove the lid and you will see the rice has become fluffy. let the rice cool completely before you add it to the mushrooms.
making mushroom fried rice:
11. rinse 200 to 250 grams mushrooms couple of times in water, drain.
12. chop the mushrooms and keep aside.
13. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making mushroom fried rice.
14. heat 3 tablespoons oil in a wok or kadai.
15. firstly add 3 small to medium sized garlic cloves (lahsun) which are finely chopped. also add 1 medium sized finely chopped onion. instead of onions you can also add 2 to 3 small to medium spring onions which are chopped finely.
16. stir fry them for 2 minutes on a high flame.
17. then add the chopped mushrooms.
18. stir fry for 5 to 6 minutes or more on a high flame till the mushrooms begins to get lightly browned from the edges.
19. first the whole mixture will become watery as mushrooms will release water.
20. slowly slowly the water will evaporate and you will see oil floating in the mixture.
21. stir fry till the mushrooms begins to get lightly browned from the edges.
22. then add ½ tablespoon chopped celery.
23. stir fry for a minute.
24. lastly add 1 tablespoon soy sauce, black pepper powder and salt as required.
25. stir very well.
26. then add the rice. stir gently but briskly.
27. stir fry the mushroom fried rice for 2 to 3 minutes.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe