Oats upma is an easy and delicious breakfast recipe perfect for quick mornings. Made with quick-cooking oats and mixed veggies, this healthy vegetable oats upma recipe is ready in just 30 minutes, start to finish.
Table of Contents
About This Oats Upma
This delicious oats upma is easy to prepare and takes only 30 minutes to cook, from start to finish. I make this recipe the same way I make Rava Upma, but with finely chopped veggies.
You can technically have oats upma without the vegetables, but the taste and texture the veggies add is just so good (not to mention the nutritional boost) – I definitely recommend including them.
Oats in general have become very popular lately, which is exciting because we love Oats Recipes! Here are some of my favorite oats recipes on the blog:
- Oats Idli – Soft instant idli made with oats flour.
- Oats Khichdi – Savory, spiced mung lentils and oats porridge.
- Oats Dosa – Crispy crepes made with oats flour, spices and herbs.
How to Make Oats Upma
Roast the Oats
1. First, heat ½ teaspoon oil in a shallow frying pan. Then add 1 cup of quick cooking oats (100 grams).
2. After that, stir and roast/toast on low heat until the oats become crisp. Continue stirring so the oats do not get browned from the bottom. Stir for about 3 to 4 minutes.
NOTE: There is no need to brown the oats. You really just want a bit of crispness.
3. Next, remove the oats and set aside in a spare mixing bowl or plate.
Fry Spices and Nuts
4. Now, in the original pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds. Stir and fry until the mustard seeds crackle on a medium-low heat.
5. Next add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon of chana dal, 1 teaspoon of urad dal (optional) and 8 to 10 cashews.
6. Continue to stir and fry the mixture until the chana dal gets golden browned.
7. Now add ¼ cup of tightly packed, finely chopped onions.
8. Then stir and sauté until the onions become translucent.
9. Next add ½ teaspoon ginger, finely chopped, 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped, and 7 to 8 curry leaves. Stir and sauté for half a minute.
NOTE: You can also add deseeded broken red chilies or a mixture of both green and dry red chilies.
Cook the Veggies
10. Then add ¼ cup finely chopped carrots, ¼ cup finely chopped french beans and ¼ cup green peas, fresh or frozen.
NOTE: Other veggies you can add are baby corn, capsicum (bell pepper), broccoli and cabbage. You can also add steamed corn or canned corn kernels.
11. Stir and saute for 2 minutes.
12. Then add 1.25 cups water.
Simmer Veggie Mixture
13. Now cover the pan with its lid.
14. On medium heat, simmer and cook this mixture until the veggies are almost cooked. About 8 to 9 minutes.
15. Then add the roasted oats.
16. Stir lightly.
17. Add salt as required.
18. Stir very well.
Simmer Oats Upma
19. Then cover the pan again with its lid and on a low heat, steam for 7 to 8 minutes.
20. Here the oats upma is done and steamed well. If the mixture looks very dry, then you can sprinkle some water and stir again.
21. Then add 1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves (cilantro). Mix and serve.
Storage and Leftovers
Oats upma is best had hot or warm. If you have any leftovers store in an airtight container or jar in the refrigerator for a day only. Reheat in a microwave oven or steam in a pan or in the Instant pot for a few minutes.
Serve oats upma drizzled with some lemon or lime juice or with a side of coconut chutney. You can also have them as an evening snack or breakfast with a cup of hot tea.
Expert Tips for Oats Upma
- Leave out the veggies – The addition of veggies is optional, but I definitely suggest to add them. They provide great flavor, make the dish more filling, add delicious texture, and also result in more health benefits.
- Or add even more vegetables – This oats upma recipe can be customized to include your favorites! You can add veggies like carrots, french beans, green peas (fresh or frozen), capsicum (bell pepper), broccoli, baby corn and cabbage. You can also add steamed corn or canned corn kernels.
- Oil: Make your oats upma in any neutral tasting oil or coconut oil. You can make it with ghee (clarified butter) as well.
- Serve hot or warm – Oats upma is best served hot or warm. Drizzle it with a bit of lemon juice and enjoy with your morning cup of tea.
To make this recipe you can use any variety of oats, like rolled oats or steel cut oats or instant oats. The upma made with rolled oats (old fashioned oats) or steel cuts oats will have more texture and chewiness than the one made with quick-cooking oats as used in my recipe. That said, rolled oats and steel cuts oats are a better choice as they are healthier. Note that both rolled oats and steel cut oats will take a longer time to cook and will need more water.
Instead of cashews, you can also use roasted peanuts.
You can easily double or triple this recipe to serve a larger group.
Yes, you can. But to maintain the flavor and a bit of heat, I recommend adding some crushed black pepper or crushed red chillies in its place.
More Upma Recipes To Try!
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Oats Upma (Savory Oats)
For roasting oats
- 1 cup quick cooking oats – 100 grams
- ½ teaspoon oil – any neutral oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions – tightly packed
- ¼ cup finely chopped carrots
- ¼ cup finely chopped french beans
- ¼ cup green peas – fresh or frozen
- 7 to 8 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon chana dal (split and husked bengal gram)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (optional)
- 8 to 10 cashews or roasted peanuts
- ½ teaspoon ginger – finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies – chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1.25 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil – any neutral oil or coconut oil
- salt as required
- Heat oil in a pan. Add 1 cup quick cooking oats.
- Stir and roast on a low heat until the oats become crisp.
- Keep stirring continuously so that the oats do not get browned from the bottom. No need to brown the oats. You really just want a bit of crispness.
- Remove oats in a plate or tray and set aside.
Sautéing onions and veggies
- In the same pan, heat the oil. Add mustard seeds. Stir and fry until the mustard seeds crackle.
- Then add cumin seeds, chana dal, urad dal (optional) and cashews.
- Stir and fry until the chana dal gets browned.
- Add tightly packed finely chopped onions. Stir and sauté until the onions turn translucent.
- Next add finely chopped ginger, chopped green chillies and curry leaves. Stir and sauté for half a minute.
Making oats upma
- Then add finely chopped carrots, finely chopped french beans and green peas, fresh or frozen. Stir and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add water. Cover the pan with its lid.
- On a medium heat simmer and cook this mixture until the veggies are almost done. About 8 to 9 minutes.
- Then add the roasted oats. Stir lightly. Add salt as required. Stir very well.
- Then cover the pan again with its lid and on a low heat, steam for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Once done, then add chopped coriander leaves.
- Stir and serve oats upma drizzled with some lemon or lime juice.
- Oats upma is best served hot or warm. Drizzle it with a bit of lemon juice and enjoy with your morning cup of tea. You can also serve it with a side of coconut chutney.
- You can also have oats upma as a brunch or an evening snack.
- Oats upma is best had hot or warm. If you have any leftovers, store in an airtight container or jar, in the refrigerator for a day only. Reheat in a microwave oven or steam in a pan or in the Instant pot for a few minutes.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This oats upma recipe post from the archives (April 2015) has been republished and updated on 15 March 2021.
Comments are closed.
Make it so often I soon won’t need to look at the recipe. Delicious healthy and filling and easy to make. Thank you for sharing.
Most welcome and thank you.
Dassana ji, My sister n and I are huge fans of your recipes and truly appreciate your work. Our homes are filled with the aromas of your hard work and our dining tables have tastier food, thanks to you. God bless you n your family❤️
I am yet to experiment with oats and has been on my list for long. Will definitely try this upma and am sure, it’s gonna turn out great, just like all yyour other recipes. Please suggest a brand of oats
Thank you so much Vindya. Glad to read your lovely comment. For this recipe, I don’t remember which brand of oats I had used. Usually I use any organic brand of rolled oats and quick cooking oats. Hope that helps.
Recipe sounds very good. Will try it soon. Also could you please post recipe for mushroom risotto.
Thanks Khaitan. I have noted down the recipe request and will try to post soon.
Tried out and it turned nice. Thank you for recipe.
welcome bhavya and thanks for the feedback.
Hi, if I use rolled oats for this recipe, how much would the cooking time change? Thanks!
lalita, rolled oats will take a longer time and may also need more water. i cannot tell the exact time. so the only thing is to check when the oats are cooking.
Great recipe. Made it several times for breakfast. It’s healthy with the Indian flavor. Thanks for sharing!
Welcome Deepta. Thanks for sharing positive feedback.
Made it a couple of days back but could not write here. I made oats upma for the first time by seeing ur recipe. My husband was amazed that even oats tasted soo gud. It was very tasty 🙂 . Thank u dassana. Also can u post lucknowi biryani or awadhi biryani . !
thank you chandana. oats do taste good in many recipes. you can even try preparing oats dosa, idli and chilla. thanks for sharing this positive review. i will be adding awadhi biryani. its in the drafts so will add in some days.
I was searching for vegetable oats recipe this morning and end up reading your recipe. I made it this morning and everyone in house ? love it
preety, glad to know this.
Thanks to giv us a good recipe.
I have been using your webpage since the time I started cooking 3 months back and I love the way the recipes are so clearly written. It’s even better when there are pictures 🙂
Just a quick question about oats upma – can I use rolled oats to make this?
thank you niveditha. you can use rolled oats to make the upma. could be that you might need to add some more water for cooking rolled oats. you can add 1.5 cups water overall.
Oats upmarket excellent
Can oats upma be given to 3 year old children
yes you can give oats upma to 3 year olds. oats is a healthy cereal, so you can include oats in the food that you prepare for your kids and family.
The mentioned recipe is awesome. Made it for the first time, really loved it. Thank you so much. I will keep visiting your website from now on for my weekend cooking adventures.
thankyou vicky and you are welcome 🙂
Very nice & detailed helpful recipe for the people who are unknown about cooking oats.
glad to know the recipe helped you rakhi tanks a ton 🙂
This recipe was awesome. Great vegan options.
I want more receipes for Oats
will try to add.
hey dassna i love all ur recipes. this one was so easy and quick. keep posting new recipes..
Made it today. It was so deliciously creamy. The family loved it! Thanks!
Your recipes are mind blowing. I visit your website almost everyday for any veg recipes I need to make. The pictures with steps are so helpful as it’s easier for all of us to follow and not interpret every step. From all the ladies who are learning to cook and/or are looking for new recipes. This is your final destination.
Thank you Dassana for making us good cooks 🙂
welcome naureen. thanks for sharing your positive and encouraging feedback. glad to read your comment.
Hello there, I tried the recipe and has come out really well.. Do try your other recipes too soon..
thanks gowri for sharing positive feedback.
Ur recipe for dhokla was awesome.
Plz do post doughnut recipe. As I live in a remote area my children’s want to have it and wish to make at home. So plz do post.
welcome sunita. thanks for your positive feedback. i will try to post the recipe soon.
Tasty and Healthy recipe
Very nice, step to step demo, good recipe for morning breakfast
Nice recipe of oats upma….shall try n give the feedback soon….looking forward for more such healthy recipes..
Amazing recipe – made it for lunch and my husband loved it 🙂 Thank you Dassana amit.
welcome divya. glad to know this.
Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I have been looking for a step-by-step recipe for oats upma since quite some time. I’m definitely making this for breakfast tomorrow 🙂
Welcome Noodle. Glad to know this.
Just made it for myself dinner as I usually do not eat carbs at night I was apprehensive at first as oats is a bit slimy when cooked and I love it the porridge way. But the upma was delicious.Enjoyed every bit of it. Thank you. =)
thanks shubha. good to know. if cooked correctly, then the oats do not become mushy or slimy.
Nyc receipe…….thanks for sharing
Yummy and healthy recipe….
Can I use normal oats??
thanks suvidha. by normal oats you mean the rolled oats or the oats which are available in indian markets. the one i added are quaker cooking oats easily available in india.
Yea the oats which are available in Indian market…becoz I dont have cooking oats at my home, I have regular oats….so how can I use that?
suvidha, they are same oats. what we get in indian market are quick cooking oats.
Okay….thanks a lot….
I wanted to leave a comment on the popular malai kofta recipe., but was unable to. The recipe is super good and super simple.
the proportions in your recipes are perfect and can be followed blindly. Every one in my family appreciated. Thanks for all your hard work. God bless you.
thanks a lot nivedita. for some days now we have closed the comment on old recipes as we very short of time. will open the comments in near future. thanks again.
What can I use instead of chana/urd dal?
Thanks dassana for such an awesome recipe
Today I tried oats upma recipe and instead of using chana dal I used gram flour and the taste was superb. My family members liked it very much. Thanks for delicious and healthy recipe. Good job
Keep it on.
thanks for the positive review swati. gram flour will give a nice and different taste. thanks for sharing.