methi matar malai recipe with video and step by step pics – methi matar malai is a delicious north indian recipe which is very popular. methi matar malai can also be found in the menu of most north indian or punjabi restaurants.
this is a sure shot winner recipe. its creamy, smooth, delicious and of course healthy too with the methi (fenugreek) and matar (green peas). this was so good, it will even beat the matar methi malai served in restaurants.
methi mutter malai recipe can be made in flat 30 to 35 minutes if you have the fenugreek leaves ready and chopped. you have to boil the peas first and when you are making the paste and frying it et all, you can keep the peas for cooking in a microwave or on the stove.
the recipe is good for kids too, especially if you want to feed them fenugreek. there is no bitterness or bitter taste. it is on the sweeter side due to the presence of cream, onions and cashews. plus not at all spicy.
some more popular methi recipes on blog are:
this methi matar malai recipe was posted 5 years back. from the time I posted this recipe and till today, I have made this recipe many times and every time the recipe is a winner. if you have guests at home, then you can even double the recipe.
serve methi matar malai with naan or parathas or phulka or tandoori rotis. it also goes well with plain boiled basmati rice or jeera rice.
preparation to make methi matar malai
1. in a grinder jar, add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
2. then add ⅓ cup chopped onions.
3. add ¼ cup cashews.
4. next add 1 teaspoon chopped garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon ginger and 1 teaspoon green chilies.
5. grind to a smooth paste. if you are not able to grind, then you can add some water while grinding.
making methi mutter malai
6. heat 2 tbsp ghee or oil in a pan or kadai and then add the paste to it.
7. continue to saute the paste stirring often.
8. saute till you see the oil releasing from the sides of the paste and the paste gathers around itself and leaves the sides of the pan. you don’t have to brown the paste. stir often to ensure that the paste does not stick to the pan. if it does stick then add some water. to check the sautéing process, do check the video above.
9. add the chopped fenugreek leaves (methi).
10: mix it well and saute for 2 to 3 minutes on low flame.
11. next add ½ cup water or green peas stock in two parts. green peas stock is the water in which the green peas were cooked. you can add water as required.
12. mix very well.
13. simmer the gravy for 3 to 4 mins.
14: next add 1 cup boiled matar or green peas. though fresh green peas taste best, but you can use frozen green peas too. for boiling green peas, just add them in enough water and cook till the peas are done. do not throw away the water. use the green peas stock instead of water.
15. then add 1 cup fresh cream or malai. if using homemade malai, then whip chilled malai in a small blender or with a whisk till smooth.
16. mix very well.
17. simmer methi matar malai gravy for 5 to 6 minutes. stir at intervals.
18. lastly add ½ teaspoon sugar and salt. mix again and simmer for a minute. you can add less or more sugar as per your taste requirements or skip it altogether.
19. serve methi matar malai.
20: garnish with coriander leaves and serve methi matar malai with naan or parathas or rotis. methi matar malai also goes well with plain boiled basmati rice or jeera rice.
more curry recipes
methi matar malai recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR methi matar malai recipe
main ingredients for methi matar malai
- 1 cup chopped fresh fenugreek leaves (methi leaves)
- ½ cup boiled green peas (matar)
- ½ cup fresh cream (malai)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- ½ cup water or add as required
- ½ teaspoon sugar or add as required
- salt as required
ingredients for the paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 medium size onion - chopped or ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup cashews (kaju)
- 1 teaspoon roughly chopped garlic cloves (lahsun) or 4 to 5 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon roughly chopped ginger (adrak) or 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon roughly chopped green chilies (hari mirch) or 1 to 2 green chilies, chopped
- few chopped coriander leaves
- some boiled green peas, optional
HOW TO MAKE methi matar malai recipe
preparing the paste
- in a grinder jar, add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, ⅓ cup chopped onions, ¼ cup cashews, 1 teaspoon chopped garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon ginger and 1 teaspoon green chilies.
- grind to a smooth paste.
- if you are not able to grind, then you can add some water while grinding.
making methi matar malai
- heat ghee or oil in a pan or kadai.
- add the ground paste and fry the paste 6 to 7 minutes on low flame till it starts giving a fragrant aroma.
- keep on stirring in between to avoid the paste from sticking to the pan. you should see oil releasing from the sides. do not brown the paste.
- add a little water if it sticks to the pan.
- add chopped fenugreek leaves and saute for 2 minutes.
- then add ½ cup water in parts. mix well and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. stir at intervals.
- then add the boiled peas and cream.
- simmer methi matar malai gravy for 5 to 6 minutes on a low flame.
- add the sugar and salt and mix well.
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve methi mutter malai hot with naan, parathas or phulkas.
- if using fresh homemade cream or malai: freeze the cream and then whip it till it becomes smooth and soft. don't add warm malai or without whipping it as this won't give you a good creamy texture. i used ready made amul fresh cream but you can get the same results with fresh malai. you don't need to whip or beat the cream if you are using ready made cream.
- if the methi leaves are too bitter - chop the methi leaves and take them in a bowl. sprinkle some salt and mix very well. keep aside for 15 minutes. then squeeze the methi leaves in your palms. the bitter juices go away this way.