spicy chilli paneer gravy recipe with step by step photos – this is a spicy and saucy indo chinese recipe of chilli paneer. this cottage cheese gravy is one of the most sought after indo chinese recipe.
this spicy and hot chilli paneer gravy is one of my favorite recipes too. i have to admit that i was never a huge fan of paneer. but one paneer dish that i really loved was chilli paneer.
i remember going to any restaurant for dinner and without fail i would order chilli paneer with some naan or tandoori rotis.
here is my version of making this famous indo chinese recipe at home. if you want to make the dry version or semi-dry version then kindly check the following recipes:
- street style dry chilli paneer – deliciously spicy street style version
- chilli paneer – restaurant style semi-dry version
i used homemade paneer. you can also use a good quality store brought paneer.
i generally don’t add msg – mono sodium gluatamate or chinese salt to any of the indo chinese recipes i make at home. so the taste will be not restaurant-style or like the chinese food we get at the chinese food stalls in india.
i usually have chilli paneer with naan or roti. now an indo chinese recipe of spicy chilli paneer gravy with naan or roti is an unusual combo. but let me tell you it is a made for each other combo.
when you dunk the naan in the umami & spicy gravy, take a bit of the green chillies and the soft succulent paneer in the naan and have it. you will know why their combo is awesome.
how to make spicy and hot chilli paneer gravy
1: in a bowl take the cornflour and salt. toss the paneer pieces in this mixture well so that the cornflour coats the paneer cubes well.
2: shallow fry or pan fry the paneer cubes. the cornflour coating gives a nice white color to the paneer.
3: drain on kitchen paper tissues.
4: heat sesame oil and stir fry the spring onions till transparent.
5: add the chopped ginger, garlic. stir fry till the raw aroma of these disappears.
6: now add the capsicum and green chillies.
7: stir fry these.
8: stir fry till the capsicum is almost half cooked and add black pepper & crushed schezwan pepper. if you don’t have schezwan pepper, then just don’t add.
9: add veg stock or water along with some fresh or dry celery. i have added dry celery (sun-dried at home)
10: add soy sauce, salt, sugar and simmer.
11: add corn starch paste to thicken the gravy.
12: i also felt that i needed to add some red chilli powder as well. so here goes the red chilli powder.
13: simmer till the corn starch gets cooked and the gravy is thickened. then add vinegar and the fried paneer cubes.
14: lastly simmer for 1-2 minutes. don’t simmer for long as then the paneer cubes can get hard or chewy.
15: serve the spicy hot chilli paneer gravy garnished with scallion greens with schezwan fried rice or corn fried rice or naan. i served with veg fried rice.
few more paneer recipes for you!
Spicy Chilli Paneer Gravy
for frying the paneer
- 200 grams paneer (cottage cheese)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder or crushed pepper
- 2 tablespoons corn flour (corn starch)
- salt as required
- oil for frying paneer as required
for gravy (sauce)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon chopped celery OR 2 teaspoons dry celery - optional
- 2 schezwan pepper - crushed
- ¼ cup chopped spring onions (scallions) - reserve some greens for garnishing
- ½ tablespoon chopped ginger-garlic - half-half of ginger and garlic
- 4 to 5 green chillies
- ¼ cup sliced capsicum (bell pepper)
- ½ teaspoon vinegar
- ¾ to 1 cup veg stock or water
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder or crushed black pepper
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon corn flour dissolved in 2 tablespoon water - for the corn flour paste
- salt - as required
- ½ teaspoon sugar or add as required
- mix the paneer with black pepper powder, salt and corn flour.
- shallow or deep fry till done.
- don't overfry as the paneer might become hard.
- since we coat cornflour you won't be seeing the paneer as browned.
- so don't keep on frying to make it golden brown. the paneer will become hard.
making spicy chilli paneer gravy
- heat sesame oil. now add the spring onions (scallions) and stir fry till they become transparent.
- add the ginger-garlic and stir fry till the raw smell disappears.
- add the capsicum and green chillies and stir fry till the capsicum is half cooked.
- add black pepper & crushed schezwan pepper. pour the veg stock or water. add celery and stir.
- add soy sauce, sugar, black pepper, red chilli powder and salt. simmer.
- add cornflour paste. stir well and let the sauce thicken.
- add the fried paneer cubes and simmer them in the sauce for 1 to 2 minutes.
- garnish with spring onion greens and serve the spicy chilli paneer gravy hot with veg fried rice.
- to make the gravy or sauce more thick, add some more cornflour paste.
- if the gravy has become too thick, then add some veg stock or water to thin it down.