bombay veg toast sandwich recipe – a step by step recipe of preparing tasty bombay vegetable toast sandwich.
these much loved sandwiches are a popular street food in mumbai. being born and brought up in mumbai, this post conjures a lot of memory for me. as there were times i would only have this sandwich, with my college friends and practically nothing for the rest of the day.
even after finishing college when studying further, the veggie toast sandwiches were always on my list and i would frequent the swastik sandwich stall in santacruz in the mumbai suburbs often.
when you live in bombay aka mumbai you can experience so much in the food varieties and cuisines that are easily available there. mumbai is very much a foodie’s delight. not to mention the awesome street food one gets there.
i make these veg sandwiches often. the night before, i prepare the green chutney for sandwich and refrigerate it. the next day the assembling is easy and i just need to cook the potatoes and beetroot.
serve these veg toast sandwiches as soon as they are made along with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
if you are looking for more sandwich recipes then do check:
- corn sandwich
- bombay masala toast sandwich,
- tomato cucumber sandwich
- veg grilled sandwich
- club sandwich recipe.
veg toast sandwich recipe below:
veg toast sandwich recipe | tasty bombay vegetable toast sandwich recipe
bombay veg toast sandwich recipe - these much loved sandwiches are a popular street food in mumbai
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
for the green chutney:
- 1 cup tightly packed coriander leaves or ½ cup each of mint leaves and coriander leaves
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder or add as per taste
- 1 to 2 green chilies, i added 3 as we like spicy chutney for sandwiches
- salt as required
- 1 to 2 teaspoons water for grinding, optional
for veg toast sandwiches:
- 8 to 10 slices brown or whole wheat, multi grain or white bread
- 1 medium size tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 medium size onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 boiled beetroot, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 or 2 boiled potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- butter at room temperature, as required
- chaat masala or sandwich masala to sprinkle on the veggies, as required
- black salt or rock salt or regular salt to sprinkle on the veggies, as required
how to make recipe
making green chutney for veg sandwiches:
- blend all the ingredients mentioned under the list 'for green chutney' in a grinder or small blender. add very little water. the chutney has to be of thick or slightly thick consistency.
- keep the chutney aside.
making veg toast sandwich:
- slice the bread corners if you want. apply butter on the bread slices
- apply the green chutney on the buttered slices.
- place the 2-3 slices of all the veggies alternately on four bread slices.
- sprinkle chaat masala or sandwich masala and black salt on the veggies alternately.
- cover these with the remaining bread slices. now toast the sandwiches in a toaster or grill.
if using a hand toaster you will have to do it one sandwich at a time.
keep the hand toaster on fire. toast one side. when it gets browned, toast the other side. you can easily open the toaster and check if the bread has browned or not.
- remove when done and apply some butter on the top of the hot toast sandwich.
- serve veg toast sandwich with tomato ketchup and some mint cilantro chutney.
tips for making veg toast sandwich recipe:
- apply a little extra butter on the bread ensures that the sandwich does not get soggy with the chutney or the veggies.
- the left over veggies can be used up in any dish or you can just sprinkle some chaat masala or black salt on them and have them directly, except the onions 🙂
- vegans can use vegan substitutes for butter.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
step by step veg toast sandwich recipe.
for preparing green chutney:
1. take 1 cup tightly packed coriander leaves, ½ tsp chaat masala powder, 1 to 2 green chilies (chopped) in a chutney grinder jar. i usually add 2 to 3 green chilies as we prefer a bit spicy chutney in the sandwiches. you can also add half-half of coriander leaves and mint leaves. just add a pinch or two of salt as chaat masala already has salt in it.
2. grind the chutney ingredients till smooth. no need to add water. but if you cannot grind, then add 1 or 2 tsp of water. i did not add water as there was enough moisture after rinsing the coriander leaves to help them grind to a smooth chutney.
3. collect the coriander chutney in a bowl. check the taste and add more salt if required. cover and keep the chutney aside if you are making sandwiches immediately or else refrigerate. if not using immediately, sprinkle a few drops of lemon or lime juice, so that the chutney color does not darken.
prepping, assembling and preparing sandwiches:
4: boil or steam the potato and beetroot (if adding) in a pressure cooker or steamer. allow them to cool or become warm. then peel and slice them. also slice cucumber, tomatoes and onions in thin round slices. keep everything on the work surface, including, green chutney, butter, chaat masala and salt. use softened butter or butter at room temperature.
5: slice the bread corners if you want. apply butter on the bread slices. a generous coating of butter does not allow the bread to become soggy, when you apply the chutney.
6. apply the green chutney on the buttered slices.
7: place the 2-3 slices of the potatoes first. you can also place beetroot slices if using.
8: sprinkle a pinch or two of chaat masala or sandwich masala and a pinch or two of black salt/rock salt/regular salt on the potato slices.
9. then place 2 to 3 slices each of onions, tomatoes and cucumber. sprinkle chaat masala or sandwich masala and black salt/rock salt/regular salt on these slices too.
10: cover these with the remaining slices to which butter and green chutney have been applied.
11. place the sandwiches to toast in a toaster or a grill. preheat the toaster or grill first, as per the manufacturer’s instructions and then place the sandwiches. you can also use a hand held toaster.
12: toast or grill the sandwiches till they are golden and crisp from the top. if using a hand toaster you will have to toast one sandwich at a time. keep the hand toaster on a lit stove top on a low to medium flame. toast one side. when it gets browned, toast the other side. you can easily open the toaster and check if the bread has browned or not while toasting.
13. spread some butter on the hot sandwiches.