This collection of 13 Indian beetroot recipes includes side dishes, sabzis and sweets. Beetroots are rich in iron, calcium and minerals and there are various ways you can include them in your meals.
Carrots and beetroots often make an appearance in our menu. Apart from preparing the recipes listed below, I also add beetroots to Pulaos or mix veg dishes.
With beetroots the color of the dish that you prepare changes to a nice pink to crimson red tone, depending on the ingredients used in the recipe. So the food looks very colorful and appealing to the eyes.
As I add more beetroot recipes, I will also update this collection. You can also check these popular veggie recipes collections:
- Methi recipes (19 fenugreek leaves recipes)
- Palak recipes (29 spinach recipes)
- Matar recipes (24 green peas recipes)
- Cabbage recipes (14 patta gobhi recipes)
- Bhindi recipes (33 okra or lady finger recipes)
Collection of 13 Beetroot Recipes
1. Beetroot halwa – a slow cooked dessert recipe of halwa with grated beetroots, milk, sugar, ghee, cardamom and dry fruits. The halwa has a beautiful color and tastes good too. It can be relished hot, warm or chilled as well.
2. Beetroot paratha – These are healthy and tasty whole wheat parathas stuffed with a spiced beetroot filling. These parathas have a faint sweet taste coming from the beetroot.
They make for a filling breakfast or brunch and can be easily made for a lunch box.
3. Beetroot poori – lovely crimson coloured pooris made with beetroot. Not only the color is attractive but the taste is also good.
They can be made for breakfast or brunch or can be packed in lunch box with a side veggie dish or curry.
4. Beetroot bhaji – simple, homely and healthy beetroot bhaji recipe prepared in South Indian style. This sabzi goes well as a side dish with Rasam-rice, dal-rice or even dishes like Khichdi. you can also serve it as a side dish with chapatis.
5. Beetroot rice – this pulao is slightly spicy with the sweetness of beetroot coming through in the spiced rice. Kind of a complex flavored dish. The recipe can be made quickly in a pressure cooker.
6. Veg chops recipe – one of the popular street food in bengal. These are addictive and no one can just eat one. These fried crisp chops can be compared to croquettes or Cutlets and have a slight sweet taste due to the addition of beetroot, carrot and peanuts.
7. Beetroot chutney – tasty chutney made with beetroot for Idli and Dosa. the chutney tastes sweet with some heat coming from the green chilies. Though the sweet taste is not like a sugary sweet taste, but a mellowed sweet taste.
8. Beetroot poriyal – poriyal is a preparation where the vegetables are sauteed in spices and topped with grated coconut. Poriyals can be served as a side vegetable dish with Sambar rice combo or Rasam rice combo or even can be had with chapatis.
9. Beetroot thoran – a dry and delectable mildly spiced dish made with beetroots having sweet notes from the beetroot as well as the coconut.
It goes very well with roti, paratha, especially the Kerala Paratha and even steamed rice. You can also have it as a side dish.
10. Beetroot tikki recipe – the beetroot tikkis are easy to make. Boiled and mashed beetroot plus potatoes and spices – mix them all and shape them into tikkis and fry.
11. Beetroot Raita – This is a colorful, vibrant raita or yogurt dip made with healthy beets, crunchy onions, bell pepper, carrots, tangy curd (yogurt) and seasonings. The lovely dark pink colored raita has a mildly sweet and tangy taste pairing nicely with most Indian meals.
12. Carrot kanji – a fermented North Indian probiotic drink made from carrots, beetroot and ground mustard and water. Being a probiotic drink it is extremely good for the gut and improves digestion.
Kanji is served as an appetizer drink. It has a sour, spicy and pungent taste. This taste is an acquired one – either you will like or won’t like it, just like Kombucha.
13. Beetroot rasam – This is a spicy, tangy and delicious Rasam variety. It has light sweet tones of the beetroot blending beautifully with the sour taste of tamarind and the spiciness coming from the black peppers and dry red chilies.
This Collection of Beetroot Recipes post from the blog archives first published in January 2017 has been republished and updated on December 2022.
Comments are closed.
My neighbours veggie patch has gone mad this year and she has given me so much beetroot – I am working my way through this list of dishes!!! but starting with the humble cheese and beetroot sandwich, lots of salt and pepper – perfect! Thank you Dassana for always coming to the rescue. Best wishes, Jane
thanks jane. i am glad that this list of beetroot recipes is helpful to you. most welcome.
Had a query….. will mixing palak and beetroot to make chapatis taste good…. I mean is palak and beetroot a good combination
yes the chapatis will taste good. palak and beetroots do go very well in combination.
I just want to let you know that your website has helped me learn cooking from the scratch. I got married three years back and had no idea of how to even boil an egg. Today I have tried out so many dishes from your website. What makes me come back to your site is the 1. clear cut way you describe each recipe 2. Pictures are added in addition to the steps. 3. Difficult recipes are explained in such easy manner.
I recommend these recipes to lot of my friends. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Niketa for sharing this positive feedback on recipes. Glad to know that you are following the blog for 3 years and have learnt cooking via it. We try to add step wise photos to make the recipes easier to understand. Good to know that it is helping in learning cooking.
Awesome. A treat to eyes. Sending a lot of blessings your way.
Thanks Megha for your best wishes.