Potato sandwich recipe with step by step photos – to make these grilled sandwiches with a spiced potato stuffing is very easy. All you need are some boiled potatoes, spices, butter and bread.
Use any bread which you like or prefer for making these potato sandwiches. A day old bread is also fine. Homemade bread is better.
I have made these potato sandwiches with homemade whole wheat bread. I generally make a loaf of bread or pav/buns once a week. These get used up in making various snacks like sandwiches and sometimes desserts like a bread pudding. The pav or rolls are served with usal (sprouts curry) or Pav bhaji.
I have used the same recipe for the spiced potato stuffing masala, which I always make for Aloo paratha.
These potato sandwiches can be served with tomato ketchup or coriander chutney. They do make for a good breakfast/brunch or snack option.
How to make potato sandwich
1. Peel, mash the boiled potatoes and then add all the spices, herbs and salt. Mix well.
2. Butter the bread slices. Spread some of the spiced aloo masala or stuffing on the buttered bread slices.
3. top with grated cheese if required.
4. Cover with the remaining buttered bread slices. spread butter on the top of the slices.
5. in a pre heated grill, place the potato sandwich carefully with the buttered side facing down, making sure your hands don’t touch the grill (be careful when doing this. If you cannot do this then just skip the above step. Instead spread butter once the sandwiches are grilled). Now spread butter on the top side which is facing you.
6. grill for 2-3 minutes till the potato sandwiches are crisp and golden.
7. Serve potato sandwich with tomato ketchup or coriander chutney.
Few more Potato sandwich recipes are:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
Potato Sandwich (Aloo Sandwich)
- 8 bread slices - whole wheat bread, brown bread or white bread
- 2 to 3 medium potatoes - boiled and mashed
- 1 or 2 green chilies - chopped finely
- ¼ teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder or paprika (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder) or as required or swap with ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (ground cumin)
- ½ to 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) or swap with mint leaves
- softened butter - salted or unsalted, as required
- salt as required
- grated cheddar cheese as required (optional)
- Rinse the potatoes very well in water.
- Boil or steam the potatoes in a pan or pressure cooker or Instant pot until they are fork tender and can be easily mashed.
- Drain all the water from the cooked potatoes and peel them when they become warm. Mash them in a mixing bowl. You can mash them with a fork or a potato masher.
Making potato sandwich
- Add all the herbs and ground spices powders - chopped green chilies, coriander leaves, red chili powder, garam masala powder, dry mango powder, cumin powder and salt as required. Mix very well.
- Check the seasoning and add more of salt, red chili powder, dry mango powder if required.
- Spread butter generously on half of the bread slices.
- Take some portion of the potato stuffing and spread it on the buttered bread slices.
- Optional step - sprinkle some grated cheese.
- Cover the bread slices with the remaining buttered slices.
- Spread some butter lightly on the top of the bread sandwiches.
- Place the sandwiches buttered side down in a preheated grill carefully.
- Now spread butter on the top of the bread slices facing you.
- Cover the grill and grill for 2 to 3 minutes or till the sandwiches are golden and crisp.
- Serve potato sandwich hot with tomato sauce or cilantro chutney or both.
- Note that the approximate nutrition info is for one potato sandwich.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later