potato podimas is basically mashed potatoes which are tempered & spiced with the regular south indian spices and herbs.
this recipe of potato podimas is inspired from a south indian restaurant which we used to frequent often in our childhood days. their potato podimas used to be part of their south indian thali and would be damn good. with few and easily available spices which are always stocked in an indian kitchen, you can make this delicious potato podimas.
i make potato podimas often as it so simple and easy. i usually make the potato podimas with a rice based dish like tomato rice or coriander rice. they also go well with curd rice. other similar south indian side dish made with potatoes are potato roast. it is spicy and hot and is also served as an side dish with sambar rice or dal rice combo. you can also check this recipe of potato filling for masala dosa.
this potato podimas recipe is not spicy neither hot and is an excellent combination with pooris, chapatis. it can also be had as a side dish with sambar or rasam and steamed rice. this is also a satvik no onion no garlic recipe.
two tips for potato podimas recipe:
1. if adding lemon juice and coconut, then add them towards the end. switch off the gas stove and then add the lemon juice and coconut. mix well.
2. you can also add ¾ tsp of urad dal in the tempering. i avoid adding urad dal as they get stuck in the teeth 🙂
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“. another option, is to occasionally show interest in our facebook page updates by liking, sharing or commenting in the facebook post. thanks for your continuous support and cooperation.
potato podimas recipe details below:
- 2 large potatoes/aloo
- ¾ tsp mustard seeds/rai
- ¾ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- ¼ tsp asafoetida powder/hing
- ½ tsp grated ginger/adrak (optional)
- 1 green chili/hari mirch, chopped
- 10-12 curry leaves/kadi patta
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- ½ tsp lemon juice or as required (optional)
- some grated coconut (optional)
- salt as required
- boil or steam the potatoes in a pressure cooker or steamer till completely cooked and of mashable consistency.
- peel and mash the potatoes coarsely when they are still hot or warm.
- you can also crumble the potatoes. keep the roughly mashed potatoes aside.
- heat oil in a pan. crackle the mustard seeds first. then add the cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- add the green chilies, ginger, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- fry till for 7-9 seconds. add the mashed potatoes. stir well.
- add salt and saute for 3-4 minutes on a low flame stirring at times.
- add the coriander leaves and saute for 1-2 minutes more on a low flame.
- instead of sauting with coriander leaves, you can also garnish the potato podimas with coriander leaves.
- serve potato podimas hot with chapati, poori or sambar-rice, rasam-rice or dal-rice combo.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media