this is a recipe which i made some days back. since nowadays i am living with an international group of people, i come across many recipes that i would have never even thought of cooking… all to do with my indian cooking background.
these recipes use simple ingredients… simple methods and you have a healthy and great meal ready. though our dinner is mostly indian, we do cook food from different cuisines for lunch. i have learnt a great deal from my spanish friend S and my portuguese friend M. plus also some tibetan and russian food from some other friends
now sharing with you all an italian recipe. just made this recipe from scratch without looking on internet or anywhere. since now i have an understanding of how food is made and eaten in some countries and cultures, it was easy to make this recipe.
i have had some amazing italian food here and so now know what goes into the makings of an italian recipe. i knew a few italian recipes before, but have learnt a great deal now. this italian recipe is of creamy mushroom spinach sauce. i had earlier made a similar recipe to this one but instead of spinach and basil, i had added dill leaves.
this recipe is easy and quick. these kind of creamy recipes taste great with pasta, noodles, lasagna. since we had made some rice we had the creamy mushroom spinach sauce with rice.
mushroom spinach creamy sauce: serves 4-5
preparation time: 15 mins
cooking time: 30-35 mins
- 2 packets of button mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1 cup chopped basil leaves
- 4-5 scallions
- 5-6 garlic
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2oo ml cream
- cream cheese (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
method to make mushroom and spinach cream sauce:
- take the scallions, wash them well and chop them. chop the garlic too. leave the green of the scallions for garnishing.
- wash the mushrooms very well and chop them.
- wash the spinach leaves and chop them.
- wash the basil leaves and keep aside to be chopped later.
- in a pan heat up the olive oil and add the chopped scallions and garlic and saute for 3 minutes on a medium flame.
- now add the mushrooms
- mix the mushrooms with the onion and garlic and saute it.
- first the mushrooms will start to leave water
- then the water will start becoming less
- till all the water dries up
- then you add the chopped spinach leaves… what are those reddish leaves in the spinach greens?… the spinach bunch came with one strand of red amaranth leaves… you see those reddish leaves are the amaranth leaves.
- saute for a 3-4 minutes till the spinach becomes soft
- add salt and pepper and saute the veggies more for 3-4 minutes till the spinach is cooked
- add the chopped basil leaves
- cook for 1-2 minutes
- lower the flame and pour the cream. at this stage you could also add cream cheese. i did not add any cheese to this recipe.
- mix the cream well with the veggies
- switch off the burner…..garnish the creamy mushroom spinach with the scallion greens. and if you like some parmesan cheese… and your mushroom spinach cream sauce is ready to be served with your choice of pasta or noodles.
You might also like to check these other Mushroom Recipes: