palak mushroom – a healthy curry recipe made with spinach and mushrooms. the combination of mushroom and palak goes very well for us as we are fond of both palak and mushrooms.
i love to include greens in my diet. fenugreek, spinach and amaranth are my favorite greens to experiment. i try various combination of these greens with other vegetables like aloo methi, aloo palak, palak saag, methi mushroom, red amaranth sambar or even methi chole or palak chole.
palak mushroom is a delicious as well as an easy recipe to make. it is like having palak paneer and we have just replaced paneer with mushroom. this recipe goes well with roti, naan or rice. here i served with some homemade whole wheat naans.
palak mushroom recipe details below:
- 3 cups chopped spinach or palak
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ½ inch ginger, chopped
- 2-3 garlic, chopped
- 200 gms white button mushrooms
- 1 medium sized tomato, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ or ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ or ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1.5 or 2 cups water
- ½ tbsp wheat flour or maize flour or chickpea flour
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 green cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1 small bay leaf
- blanch the palak or spinach first.
- drain and blend the palak with green chili, ginger and garlic till smooth.
- heat oil and fry all the whole spices.
- add onion and fry till golden
- add garlic and fry for some seconds
- add the tomatoes and fry for 1-2 minutes
- add the mushrooms and fry till they shrink in size and the oil starts to leave the sides of the mixture.
- add turmeric powder, garam masala powder and red chili powder.
- add the palak puree and stir for 2-3 minutes
- add water and salt and simmer.
- after 2-3 minutes, add wheat flour or maize flour or gram flour for thickening the curry. stir well.
- cook the palak mushroom till the gravy thickens a bit.
- serve palak mushroom hot with roti, naan or rice.