fruit custard is one of those desserts that i have grown up having along with gajar halwa, fruit custard and jelly used to take a prime position in the desserts mom would make.
sometimes the fruit custard was served plain and sometimes with fruit jelly. i remember mom using the brown & polson brand or crown brand for custard and the jelly would be rex brand.
in this recipe too, the technique and method of making the custard remains the same. so you can use any milk i.e almond or diary and still get perfect results.
to improvise on the sugar content, i added jaggery to the custard. the fruits i used are seasonal fruits – strawberries, apples, papaya, banana and pomegranate.
the fruit custard can be served chilled or immediately. for lactose intolerant kids or adults & vegans, this fruit custard recipe is an awesome dessert.
overall, the result is a custard that one cannot make out whether its made in almond milk or with cow’s milk. if using cow’s milk, then do use organic cow’s milk.
mixed fruit custard recipe below:
- 2.5 cups almond milk or regular milk
- 5-6 tbsp organic powdered jaggery or organic unrefined cane sugar
- 2 tbsp eggless vanilla custard powder
- 3 tbsp almond milk or regular milk taken from the above 2.5 cups
- 1.5 or 2 cups chopped mixed seasonal fruits
- warm the 2.5 cups almond milk. just lightly warm the milk. don't over heat it. if using dairy milk, then heat it.
- now take 3 tbsp milk from the warmed almond milk and make a smooth paste with the custard powder. with dairy milk also make a paste with warm milk.
- make sure there are no lumps and keep aside.
- add sugar to the warmed almond milk or the hot dairy milk. stir till the sugar dissolves.
- also add the custard paste to the warmed almond milk or hot dairy milk.
- keep on a low flame and keep on stirring till the milk begins to thicken.
- you have to stir continuously as to avoid forming lumps in the custard.
- don't cook till thick as on cooling the consistency thickens more.
- switch off the flame and allow the custard to cool.
- add fruits. mix well and serve the fruit custard.
- you can also chill the fruit custard and serve it later.
if using milk, then use preheated milk.