chana dal khichdi - here is one recipe that is a traditional punjabi khichdi recipe. this chana dal khichdi is unlike the other indian khichdi recipes which have a thin or medium consistency. by the way khichdi is term used for one pot dishes that is made with cereals, lentils and vegetables.
in this chana dal khichdi, the rice grains as well as chana dal are separate and this gives the khichdi a pulav like texture. this is the specialty of this recipe. this is such a simple recipe and uses just 2 spice ingredients besides the rice and chana dal aka bengal gram. these two spices are also in minimal amounts so that the flavor and taste of the chana dal shines through. the khichdi tastes best when made in a odourless vegetable oil. avoid making in ghee as the ghee subdues the flavors of the dal.
also you can use basmati rice or broken basmati rice. even regular broken rice or tukda chawal as we call in hindi can be used.
pair the chana dal khichdi with some yogurt (dairy or vegan) or raita and you have a satisfying meal. you do need a pressure cooker to make this one. you can make in a pot too, but the water proportions would vary then.
this time again a video, but a motion video not a pictorial video. my mil making the chana dal khichdi in our kitchen. this is again one of her fabulous recipe and i am sure you will love it as much as we do.
chana dal khichdi recipe video:
chana dal khichdi recipe below:
- 1 and ¼ cup basmati rice or broken basmati or regular rice
- 1 and ¼ cup chana dal/spilt-skinned bengal gram
- ¼ tsp asafoetida/hing
- a pinch of red chili powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- first soak the chana dal overnight or for 4-5 hours. also soak the rice for 30-45 minutes or 1 hour. drain the chana dal and keep aside.
- heat oil in the pressure cooker. add the red chili powder, asafoetida and salt.
- stir and fry for a few seconds. add the drained chana dal. stir and add 2 cups water.
- cover the pressure cooker with its lid and pressure cook for 1 or 2 whistles. once the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid.
- the dal should be cooked and also should be separate.
- you can also cook the dal for 1 whistle and then check. if not cooked than cook for 1 more whistle. remember the dal should not be mushy.
- drain the rice and add the rice to the cooked dal.
- there will be water in the cooker along with the cooked dal, so no need to add extra water.
- stir and again pressure cook for 1 or 2 whistles. the dal would cook further more along with the rice.
- once the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid.
- the specialty of this chana dal khichdi are the separate grains of rice and dal and its not mushy nor pasty.
- if the rice is not cooked, then you can add some water and pressure cook again for a whistle.
- serve the chana dal khichdi steaming hot with yogurt or raita.