chana dal khichdi recipe with video and step by step photos – here is one recipe that is a traditional punjabi khichdi recipe. this chana dal khichdi is unlike the other indian khichdi recipes which have a thin or medium porridge like consistency. by the way khichdi is term used for one pot dishes that is made with cereals, lentils and vegetables.
in this chana dal khichdi, the rice grains as well as chana dal lentils are separate and this gives the khichdi a pulav like texture. this is the specialty of this recipe. this is such a simple recipe and uses just two spice ingredients besides the rice and chana dal aka bengal gram. these two spices are also in minimal amounts so that the nutty flavor and taste of the chana dal comes through very well in the recipe.
the khichdi tastes best when made in a odourless neutral vegetable oil. avoid making in ghee as the ghee subdues the flavors of the dal. also you can use basmati rice or broken basmati rice. even regular broken rice or tukda chawal as we call in hindi can be used.
pair the chana dal khichdi with some yogurt or raita and you have a satisfying meal. you do need a pressure cooker to make this one. you can make in a pot too, but the water proportions would vary then.
the recipe is shared with both step by step pics and a video of my mother in law making the chana dal khichdi in our kitchen. this is again one of her fabulous recipe and i am sure you will love it as much as we do. the video is added at the end of this post.
if you are looking for more chana dal recipes then do check:
punjabi chana dal khichdi recipe below:
chana dal khichdi recipe
punjabi chana dal khichdi recipe - a simple and flavorful traditional punjabi chana dal khichdi recipe.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- ½ cup basmati rice or broken basmati or regular rice
- ½ cup chana dal (spilt-skinned bengal gram)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 to 2 pinch red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
how to make recipe
- first rinse and soak the chana dal overnight or for 4-5 hours or soak for 30 minutes in hot water. also rinse and soak the rice for 30 minutes. later, strain the chana dal of the water and keep aside.
- heat oil in the pressure cooker. lower the flame. add the red chili powder, asafoetida and salt.
- stir and fry for a few seconds. add the chana dal. stir and then add 1 cup water.
- cover the pressure cooker with its lid and pressure cook for 1 or 2 whistles or for about 6 minutes. once the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid.
- the dal should be cooked and also should be separate.
- you can also cook the dal for 1 whistle and then check. if not cooked than cook for 1 more whistle. remember the dal should not be mushy.
- drain the rice and add the rice to the cooked dal.
- there will be water in the cooker along with the cooked dal, so no need to add extra water.
- stir and again pressure cook for 1 or 2 whistles. the dal would cook further more along with the rice.
- once the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid.
- the specialty of this chana dal khichdi are the separate grains of rice and dal and its not mushy nor pasty. if the rice is not cooked, then you can add about 1/8 to 1/4 cup water and pressure cook again for a whistle or two.
- serve the chana dal khichdi steaming hot with yogurt or raita.
step by step punjabi chana dal khichdi recipe:
1. rinse ½ cup chana dal a couple of times. then soak overnight or for 4 to 5 hours or in hot water for 30 minutes. here i soaked the dal in hot water for 30 minutes.
2. also rinse and soak ½ cup rice in water for 30 minutes.
3. after 30 minutes of soaking in hot water, drain all the water from the chana dal and keep aside.
4. heat oil in the pressure cooker. lower the flame and add the red chili powder, asafoetida/hing and salt.
6. add the drained chana dal.
7. stir the chana dal with the rest of the spices.
8. add 1 cup water and stir again.
9. pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles or about 6 minutes. you can also cook the dal for 1 whistle and then check. if not cooked than cook for 1 more whistle. remember the dal should not be mushy. once the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid. the chana dal should be cooked and also should be separate.
10. drain the rice.
11. add the rice to the cooked chana dal.
12. stir gently.
13. there will be water in the cooker along with the cooked dal, so no need to add extra water, if using basmati rice. since i was using hand pounded rice and these rice grains require more time & water to cook, i added ¼ cup more water.
14. again pressure cook for 1 or 2 whistles. the dal would cook further more along with the rice. again since i was using hand pounded rice, i pressure cooked for 3 whistles.
15. once the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid. the specialty of this chana dal khichdi are the separate grains of rice and dal and its not mushy nor pasty. if the rice grains are not cooked, then you can add ⅛ cup to ¼ cup water and pressure cook again for 1 to 2 whistles.
16. serve the chana dal khichdi hot with yogurt/dahi or raita.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe