moong dal khichdi recipe with step by step photos – delicious one pot comfort meal of rice and moong lentils. nutritious and light on the tummy.
in india, when someone is ill or recovering from illness, then dalia and moong dal khichdi are often served to him/her. even doctors recommend khichdi to patients. in ayurveda, moong is one lentil which is recommended for balancing all three doshas (kapha, pitta & vata). even plain mung dal khichdi sans any seasoning or spices is consumed as part of a detox diet.
i already have two more moong dal khichdi recipes on the blog but both are no onion no garlic recipes.
- moong dal khichdi recipe made for ganesh chaturthi festival
- bengali moong dal khichdi (bhaja muger khichuri) made for durga puja celebrations.
few more delicious khichdi recipes on blog are:
in this moong dal khichdi, onions & tomatoes are added and thats how i make a simple basic khichdi at home on regular days. moong beans are healthy and easy to digest. so when your stomach is upset then it is best to have khichdi. it can also be served to small babies, since it is easy to digest.
unlike other rice based dishes like pulao or biryani, in khichdi the rice grains are not so separate. you can increase or decrease the water quantity to vary the consistency of the mung dal khichdi. usually we prefer a khichdi with a thick porridge consistency. but if you want a slight thinner or soupy consistency, then increase the amount of water.
i usually prepare khichdi in the pressure cooker. if you do not have a pressure cooker, then make the khichdi in the pot. you will have to add some more water when cooking in a pot.
you can serve moong dal khichdi with curd or an accompanying raita or papad. i also like to drizzle some lemon juice on the khichdi and prefer with some finely chopped vegetable salad. also don’t forget to top the khichdi with a spoon of ghee while serving.
moong dal khichdi recipe
khichdi recipe | dal khichdi recipe | moong dal khichdi recipe
moong dal khichdi recipe - delicious one pot meal of rice and moong lentils. light and easy to digest meal.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- ½ cup moong dal (split and husked)
- ½ cup rice - you can add any rice, regular short or medium grained rice or even basmati
- 1 small to medium sized onion (pyaaz) - finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato (tamatar) - chopped
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - finely chopped or grated
- 1 small green mirch (hari mirch) - chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 3.5 cups water - for a more thin consistency, add 4 to 4.5 cups water
- 1.5 tablespoon oil or ghee
- salt as required
how to make recipe
preparation for khichdi recipe
rinse and wash moong lentils and rice together.
soak both of them for 30 minutes in water.
making moong dal khichdi
- heat 2 tbsp ghee or oil in pressure cooker. add cumin. when cumin splutters then add onions.
- saute onions till translucent. no need to make onions light brown or golden brown.
- once the onions becomes translucent, then add tomatoes, green chilli and ginger.
- stir and add turmeric powder and asafoetida. saute till the tomatoes softens.
- drain the rice and moong lentils and add them to the pressure cooker.
- stir for a minute. pour with water and season with salt.
close the lid tightly and pressure cook the dal khichdi on a high flame for 6-7 whistles.
- if the khichdi becomes too thick, then add some water and stir well.
- keep on sim or low flame to simmer the khichdi till you get the right consistency.
the consistency of khichdi can be adjusted as per your choice by adding less or more water. some people prefer thick and some thin consistency.
once the dal khichdi is cooked then top it with ghee while serving. optional step.
- serve moong dal khichdi hot with curd (yogurt) and accompanying salad.
how to make khichdi recipe
1. rinse and wash ½ cup moong lentils and ½ cup rice together very well. soak both of them together for 30 minutes in water. then drain and keep aside.
2. heat 1.5 tbsp ghee or oil in pressure cooker. add ¾ tsp cumin/jeera.
4. when cumin splutters then add finely chopped onions (1 small to medium sized onion). saute onions till translucent. no need to make onions light brown or golden brown.
5. once the onions becomes translucent, then add 1 medium sized chopped tomato, 1 small sized chopped green chilli and ½ inch chopped ginger (or grated ginger).
6. stir and add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi) and a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
7. saute till the tomatoes softens.
8. add the drained rice and moong lentils to the pressure cooker. stir for a minute.
9. add 3.5 cups water – for a more thin consistency, add 4 to 4.5 cups water.
10. add salt as required. stir well.
11. close the lid tightly and pressure cook the mung dal khichdi on a high flame for 6 to 7 whistles.
12. serve dal khichdi hot. you can top the khichdi with ghee while serving. for more delicious moong dal recipes, you can check this collection of 32 moong dal recipes.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe