i make cabbage thoran as a side dish whenever i make kerala sambar with some steamed rice. a combo which was often made at home.
cabbage thoran or cabbage stir fry is a dry vegetable dish made in kerala cuisine. thoran is basically finely chopped or grated vegetables cooked with shallots, chilies, fresh grated coconut and spices.
instead of cabbage other veggies like french beans, carrot, beetroot, drumsticks, spinach and amaranth can be used. you can also check this beetroot thoran recipe.
the cabbage thoran is an important side dish in kerala feast known as sadya. thoran is usually eaten along with steamed rice. i cook the thoran in a different way than what is traditionally done. i just fry & saute the ingredients one by one and then add the cabbage.
traditionally except the oil and a few spices, all the ingredients are mixed with the cabbage and allowed to rest for 10-15 mins. whichever way you make, since cabbage and coconut is an awesome combination, the thoran always tastes damn good.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“.
cabbage thoran recipe details below:
- 1 medium sized cabbage/patta gobi
- 1 medium sized onion 4-5 shallots, finely chopped
- 10-12 curry leaves/kadi patta
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds/rai
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing (optional)
- 1 green chili/hari mirch, chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ cup grated coconut, fresh or frozen
- 1 or 2 tbsp coconut oil
- salt as required
- rinse the cabbage and shred or grate it.
- you can also slice the cabbage thinly.
- heat the coconut oil in a pan or kadai.
- first add the mustard seed and fry till they crackle.
- now add the cumin and fry them till they change color.
- add the chopped shallots or onion. saute till translucent.
- add the green chilli and curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- now add the turmeric powder and asafoetida/hing. stir and fry for 4-5 seconds.
- lastly add the cabbage and salt. stir and saute for a minute.
- cover the pan and on a low flame let the cabbage cook. just continue to stir at times.
- when the cabbage is cooked, add the coconut. stir and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- if there is any moisture in the pan, then cook further till the all the moisture dries up.
- serve the cabbage thoran hot with some steamed rice or chapati,
- you can garnish cabbage thoran with coriander leaves if you want.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media