Cabbage thoran recipe with step by step photos. I make cabbage thoran as a side dish whenever I make Kerala sambar with some steamed rice. A combo which was often made at my home.
Cabbage thoran or cabbage fry is a dry vegetable dish made in Kerala cuisine. Thoran is basically finely chopped or grated vegetables cooked with shallots, chilies, fresh grated coconut and spices.
Instead of cabbage other veggies like beans, beetroot, ash gourd, drumsticks, spinach and amaranth can be used.
Cabbage thoran is an important side dish in Kerala feast known as Sadya. thoran is usually eaten along with steamed rice. I cook the thoran in a different way than what is traditionally done. I just fry & saute the ingredients one by one and then add the cabbage.
Traditionally except the oil and a few spices, all the ingredients are mixed with the cabbage and allowed to rest for 10-15 minutes. Whichever way you make, since cabbage and coconut is an awesome combination, the thoran always tastes damn good.
Few more similar recipes for you!
How to make cabbage fry or cabbage thoran
1. Rinse the cabbage and shred or grate it. You can also slice the cabbage thinly.
2. Heat coconut oil in a pan or kadai.
3. First add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds and saute till they crackle.
4. Now add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and saute them till they change color.
5. Add the chopped shallots or onion.
6. Saute till translucent.
7. Add 1 green chilli (chopped) and curry leaves. Saute for a minute.
8. Now add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder and 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing). mix very well.
9. Add the cabbage. Also add salt as required.
10. Mix very well and saute for a minute.
11. Cover the pan with a tight lid and cook the cabbage on a low flame or sim.
12. In between do check after every 4 to 5 minutes and give a stir. if the cabbage starts sticking to the bottom of the pan, then sprinkle some water all over. Cover with a tight lid and cook again.
13. On a low flame, cook till the cabbage is tender. if there is any moisture in the pan, then cook further till all the moisture dries up.
14. Once the cabbage is cooked and done, then add ½ cup fresh grated coconut.
15. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
16. You can garnish cabbage thoran with coriander leaves if you want.
Serve the cabbage thoran hot with some steamed rice or chapati.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 1 medium sized cabbage
- 1 medium sized onion or 4 to 5 shallots - finely chopped
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ cup grated coconut - fresh or frozen
- 1 or 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- salt as required
- coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
- Rinse the cabbage and shred or grate it. you can also slice the cabbage thinly.
- Also chop the shallots or onion.
making cabbage thoran
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan or kadai.
- First add the mustard seed and saute till they crackle.
- Now add the cumin and saute them till they change color.
- Add the chopped shallots or onion. Saute till translucent.
- Add the green chilli and curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Now add the turmeric powder and asafoetida (hing). Mix very well.
- Lastly add the cabbage and salt. Stir and saute for a minute.
- Cover the pan and on a low flame let the cabbage cook. Just continue to stir at times.
- Steam cook till the cabbage is tender.
- If there is any moisture in the pan, then cook further till all the moisture dries up.
- When the cabbage is cooked, add the coconut. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- You can garnish it with coriander leaves if you want.
- Serve the cabbage thoran hot with some steamed rice or chapati.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.