Patta gobhi recipe with step by step photos. This patta gobhi ki sabji is a simple homely recipe of a Punjabi style semi-dry curry made with cabbage, potato, onions, tomatoes and spices. It is gluten-free and vegan cabbage recipe. Serve this healthy dish with a side of roti, paratha or poori for a comforting meal.
Potatoes and cabbage make a good combination in dry veggie dishes. This easy aloo patta gobhi sabzi is how I make it at home. I usually make this recipe with green cabbage but you can also use purple cabbage.
At times I also add some green peas to this cabbage curry. If you want you can make this dish without potatoes also or add some fresh or frozen green peas instead of potatoes or add both potatoes and green peas.
This potato cabbage sabzi goes very well with chapatis and even makes for a good side dish with dal and rice. The cabbage sabzi along with soft phulkas also makes for a healthy tiffin box lunch. It also goes very well with bread. At times I also make some sandwiches with this sabzi and it tastes very good.
Handy tip: Before chopping cabbage, do blanch the cabbage in boiling hot water for 5 minutes. This helps to get rid of the insects or worms if any inside the cabbage. Just halve or quarter the cabbage and use the portion that you need for blanching.
Then keep it in the hot boiling water for 5 minutes. Later drain the water and use the cabbage in the recipe. The remaining cabbage that was not blanched can be refrigerated and can be used later to make Cabbage Recipes like Cabbage Paratha or Cabbage Poriyal.
How to make Patta Gobhi ki Sabji
1. Heat 1.5 to 2 tablespoons of oil in a shallow frying pan or kadai. Add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and saute them on low heat till they splutter and change color.
You can use any neutral flavored oil.
2. Then add ½ cup finely chopped onions.
3. Saute the onions stirring often on low to medium-low heat till they turn translucent or a light brown.
4. Add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste. Stir and saute for some seconds or till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
5. Then add ⅓ cup tightly packed chopped tomatoes and 1 chopped green chili. Saute for 2 minutes.
6. Then add the following spice powders one by one:
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder or pav bhaji masala powder.
7. Stir and saute for two minutes more or till the tomatoes have softened.
8. Add the chopped potatoes and shredded cabbage. Stir and mix well. Do chop the potatoes into small pieces, so that they cook fast. At this stage you can add some fresh green peas if you prefer. You can also add shredded carrots or sliced capsicum.
9. Season with salt as needed. Stir and mix again.
10. Add ½ cup of water. Stir and mix very well.
Cooking patta gobhi ki sabji
11. Cover the pan tightly with its lid and simmer the veggies on a low heat.
12. Do check at intervals if the water has dried or not. If all the water has evaporated, then add some water and mix. Overall, I used ⅔ cup of water. Depending on the quality of veggies, the pan size etc, you can add from ½ to ⅔ cup water. Do add more water if required.
13. Once the potatoes are cooked well, switch off the heat. There should be no water in the dish. If there is any water left, then cook the cabbage sabzi without the lid, till all the water evaporates. But there will be moisture in the dish as there will be some moisture and juice in the cabbage and potatoes. So a kind of semi-dry dish.
14. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve potato cabbage sabzi with chapatis or paratha or bread or as a side dish steamed basmati rice and lentil curry.
I used mint leaves for garnish as I had run out of coriander leaves. You can also drizzle some lemon or lime juice on top of the dish before serving.
You can also pack this sabji in a tiffin box with a side of roti, paratha or whole wheat bread.
More Tasty Veggie recipes
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Patta Gobhi Recipe
- 150 grams cabbage (patta gobhi) or about 1.5 cups shredded cabbage, blanch and then shred or grate the cabbage
- 250 grams potatoes or 3 medium potatoes, chopped
- 75 grams onion or 1 medium to large onion or ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 75 grams tomato or 1 medium tomato or ⅓ cup tightly packed chopped tomatoes
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ½ inch ginger + 2 to 3 garlic cloves – crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle or 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala or pav bhaji masala
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ to ⅔ cup water or add as required
- salt as required
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves or a few mint leaves for garnish
- Heat oil in a shallow frying pan or kadai. Add cumin seeds and saute till they splutter and change color.
- Add finely chopped onions.
- Saute stirring often till the onions turn translucent or a light brown on low to medium-low heat.
- Add ginger-garlic paste. Stir and saute for some seconds or till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and chopped green chili.
- Saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder or pav bhaji masala.
- Stir and saute for two minutes more or till the tomatoes have softened.
- Add the chopped potatoes and shredded cabbage. Stir and mix.
- Season with salt. Stir again.
- Add ½ cup water. Stir and mix very well.
- Cover the pan tightly with its lid and simmer the veggies on a low flame.
- Do check at intervals if the water has dried or not. If all the water has evaporated, then add some water. I used ⅔ cup water. Depending on the quality of veggies, the pan size etc, you can add from ½ to ⅔ cup water. Do add more water if required.
- Once the potatoes are cooked well, switch off heat.
- There should be no water in the dish. If there is any water left, then cook the cabbage sabzi without the lid, till all the water evaporates. But there will be moisture in the dish as there will be some moisture and juice in the cabbage and potatoes. So a kind of semi-dry dish.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve patta gobhi sabji hot or warm with chapati or paratha or as a side dish.
- This recipe can be scaled as per your needs.
- You can use any color cabbage – green or purple.
- You can also skip the potatoes and add some fresh or frozen shelled green peas instead.
- The amount of spices can be varied according to your taste.
Nutrition Info (Approximate values)
This Patta Gobhi Recipe post from the blog archives first published in November 2015 has been republished and updated on 18 January 2022.