aloo tikki burger recipe with step by step photos – all my indian readers surely know of the well known mc donald’s aloo tikki burger. well this post is not trying to replicate the mc donald’s aloo tikki burger recipe, but a north indian street food that is often sold on the streets of delhi and gurgaon.
i remember me and hubby loved to gorge on these aloo tikki burgers so much, that we would often go to this street vendor making these near our home in delhi and have the aloo tikkis served warm to us sandwiched in between the buns with the butter, chutneys & sliced veggies. the warm burgers along with dahi papdi chaat would be our evening snack.
so this recipe of aloo tikki burger comes very close to the ones served by street food vendors. here i have made the recipe more healthy by using home made whole wheat buns and addition of lettuce & cucumber.
also i have not fried the potato patties in too much oil. when street food snacks are made at home, you can make them very healthy for your family and still enjoy the deliciousness.
to make these burgers, you can make the chutneys a night before and store in the fridge. the whole wheat buns can be homemade or readymade. these are a bit dense buns, hence am not posting the recipe.
if lettuce leaves are not available, then add blanched cabbage leaves. you can also add grated carrots and beetroot as a topping on the patties. its best to use both the sweet tamarind dates chutney and coriander chutney. but one kind of chutney will also do. i did not have the sweet chaat chutney, hence just made the coriander chutney.
if you want you can even make some french fries and serve with the burgers. after all we are so used to having french fries with burgers accompanied with a tomato sauce. for a healthier option bake or roast the french fries.
if you don’t have onions, then just avoid adding the onions in the burger toppings. this aloo tikki or potato patties is a slightly different version, than the aloo tikki, i had previously posted. you can use this recipe or the other one posted before. both are equally good.
aloo tikki burger recipe details below:
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1.5 tbsp rice flour or corn flour/corn starch
- 1 or 2 tbsp oil for frying the potato patties
- black salt or rock salt as required
- 5-6 burger buns
- 1 small tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4-5 lettuce leaves, chopped if large or kept whole if small
- chaat masala as required
- coriander chutney as required
- tamarind dates chutney as required
- chaat masala as required
- some butter ( dairy or vegan) for applying on the buns - optional
- boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker or steamer till they become soft and are completely cooked.
- peel and mash them when they are warm.
- add all the spice powders and salt and mix well.
- add the rice flour or corn flour and again mix well.
- shape into round patties and pan fry the tikkis till they are crisp and golden from both sided.
- slice the burger buns horizontally and pan fry in some oil or butter till lightly crisp. don't toast them.
- apply the chutney or chutneys on the slices. you can even apply some butter first before applying the chutney.
- place the aloo tikki on slice.
- top the sliced vegetables, lettuce sprinkled with some chaat masala.
- cover with the other slice.
- insert a tooth pick on the burger.
- make all the aloo tikki burgers this way.
- serve aloo tikki burger immediately accompanied with french fries, coriander chutney or tomato sauce.
step by step aloo tikki burger recipe – north indian style:
1: peel and mash the boiled potatoes with a potato masher or with the back of a wooden spoon or a fork. do this when the potatoes are still warm. its easier to mash them when they are hot or warm.
2: add all the spice powders and salt. mix well.
3: add rice flour or corn starch. i have used rice flour.
4: mix well.
5: shape into flat round patties.
6: heat some a tbsp of oil on a flat tava or frying pan. place the potato tikkis on the pan.
7: whilst the patties or tikkis are frying, slice the onions, tomatoes, cucumber.
8: here are the tikkis browned and crisp from both sides.
9: place the tikkis towards the edge of the pan, so that they are still warm. smear some oil in the center and lightly roast the sliced bread buns.
10: apply the mint-coriander or coriander chutney on one side.
11: place the aloo tikki on this slice.
12: top with the sliced onions, tomatoes and cucumber.
13: sprinkle some chaat masala.
14: place the lettuce.
15: apply the chutney again on the other slice. if you have sweet chaat chutney, you can apply this chutney on the other slice. another variation is to apply both the chutneys on both the slices along with some butter.
16: cover the bun to make a delicious burger. insert a tooth pick in the center of the burger. you can also place a glazed cherry inserted in the tooth pic in the center.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media