Aloo tikki burger recipe with step by step photos. Crisp golden potato patties sandwiched in burger buns and then topped with veggies and spiced with chutneys.
All my Indian readers surely know of the well known mc donald’s aloo tikki burger. Well this post is not trying to replicate the mc donald’s aloo tikki burger recipe, but a North Indian street food that is often sold on the streets of Delhi and gurgaon.
I remember me and hubby loved to gorge on these aloo tikki burgers so much, that we would often go to this street vendor making these near our home in Delhi and have the aloo tikki served warm to us sandwiched in between the buns with the butter, chutneys & sliced veggies. The warm burgers along with dahi papdi chaat would be our evening snack.
So This recipe of aloo tikki burger comes very close to the ones served by street food vendors. Here I have made the recipe more healthy by using homemade whole wheat buns and addition of lettuce & cucumber.
Also I have not fried the potato patties in too much oil. When street food snacks are made at home, you can make them very healthy for your family and still enjoy the deliciousness.
To make these burgers, you can make the chutneys a night before and store in the fridge. The whole wheat buns can be homemade or readymade. These are a bit dense buns, hence am not posting the recipe.
If lettuce leaves are not available, then add blanched cabbage leaves. You can also add grated carrots and beetroot as a topping on the patties. It is best to use both the sweet tamarind dates chutney and coriander chutney. But one kind of chutney will also do. I did not have the sweet chaat chutney, hence I just made the Coriander chutney.
If you want you can even make some french fries and serve with the burgers. After all we are so used to having french fries with burgers accompanied with a tomato sauce. For a healthier option bake or roast the french fries.
If you don’t have onions, Then just avoid adding the onions in the burger toppings. This potato patties is a slightly different version, than the Aloo tikki, I had previously posted. You can use this recipe or the other one posted before. Both are equally good.
How to make aloo tikki burger
1: peel and mash the boiled potatoes with a potato masher or with the back of a wooden spoon or a fork. Do this when the potatoes are still warm. Its easier to mash them when they are hot or warm.
2: add all the spice powders and salt. Mix well.
3: add rice flour or corn starch. I have used rice flour.
4: mix well.
5: shape into flat round patties.
6: heat some a tbsp of oil on a flat tava or frying pan. Place the potato tikkis on the pan.
7: whilst the patties or tikkis are frying, slice the onions, tomatoes, cucumber.
8: here are the tikkis browned and crisp from both sides.
Making aloo tikki burger
9: place the tikkis towards the edge of the pan, so that they are still warm. Smear some oil in the center and lightly roast the sliced bread buns.
10: apply the mint-coriander or coriander chutney on one side.
11: place the tikki on this slice.
12: top with the sliced onions, tomatoes and cucumber.
13: sprinkle some chaat masala.
14: place the lettuce.
15: apply the chutney again on the other slice. If you have sweet chaat chutney, you can apply this chutney on the other slice. Another variation is to apply both the chutneys on both the slices along with some butter.
16: cover the bun to make a delicious burger. Insert a toothpick in the center of the burger. You can also place a glazed cherry inserted in the tooth pic in the center.
17: make all aloo tikki burger this way. Serve aloo tikki burger with tomato sauce and some coriander chutney or sweet chaat chutney by the side… Whatever you prefer.
More snacks recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
Aloo Tikki Burger
for potato tikki
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1.5 tablespoon rice flour or corn flour (corn starch)
- 1 or 2 tablespoon oil for frying the potato patties
- black salt or rock salt (sendha namak) as required
buns & the toppings
- 5 to 6 burger buns
- 1 small tomato - thinly sliced
- 1 small onion - thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 lettuce leaves, chopped if large - or kept whole if small
- chaat masala as required
- coriander chutney as required
- tamarind dates chutney as required
- chaat masala as required
- some butter for applying on the buns - optional (dairy or vegan)
making potato patties
- Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker or steamer till they become soft and are completely cooked.
- Peel and mash them when they are warm.
- Add all the spice powders and salt and mix well.
- Add the rice flour or corn flour and again mix well.
- Shape into round patties and pan fry the tikkis till they are crisp and golden from both sided.
making aloo tikki burger
- Slice the burger buns horizontally and pan fry in some oil or butter till lightly crisp. Don't toast them.
- Apply the chutney or chutneys on the slices. You can even apply some butter first before applying the chutney.
- Place the tikki/patties on slice.
- Top the sliced vegetables, lettuce sprinkled with some chaat masala.
- Cover with the other slice. Insert a toothpick on the burger.
- Make all the aloo tikki burger this way.
- Serve aloo tikki burger immediately accompanied with french fries, coriander chutney or tomato sauce.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.