sev puri recipe with step by step photos and video- a street food snack from mumbai and one of my favorite chaat recipe. in fact, coming to think of it, all the chaat recipes are my all time favorites 🙂
sev puri is a spicy, sweet, tangy chaat with so many different textures and tastes mingling in your mouth. its easy to assemble sev puris. just that some of the ingredients need to be prepped up before you start assembling them.
ingredients you will need to make sev puri are
- pooris or papdis – these are crisp flat fried discs made from whole wheat flour. they can be made at home or brought from stores.
- green chutney – spicy chutney made from fresh coriander leaves or both coriander and mint leaves
- sweet chutney – made from tamarind, dates and jaggery.
- red chutney – spicy hot chutney made from dry red chilies and garlic
- sev – crisp fried gram flour vermecilli. can be again made at home or bought from outside.
- veggies – chopped boiled potatoes, chopped onions and tomatoes.
its best to make the chutneys one day before and refrigerate them. as i mentioned above, the papdis and sev can be store brought.
we wanted to have some chaat at home. so i had made both papdi chaat and sev puri on the same day. in mumbai this snack is known as sev puri and in delhi it is called as papdi chaat. they are similar but not the same.
in sev puri, curd (yogurt) is not added, unless one wants it. in papdi chaat along with curd, boiled white chickpeas and sometimes urad dal pakoris (fritters) are added. sev, onion and tomatoes are also not added to the papdi chaat. the rest of the ingredients are same.
as soon as sev puris are assembled, they have to served immediately or else the pooris turn soggy. here i have just shared the assembling part in the step by step pics. for the chutney recipes, please read the links mentioned above. or you can read their recipes in the recipe details below.
how to make sev puri
1. first keep all the stuff that you need on your workplace before you begin to assemble the sev pooris.
2. arrange the puris or papdis on a plate.
3. top it up with chopped boiled potatoes.
4. then add chopped onions.
5. top with some tomatoes. sprinkle some chaat masala on it, if you want at this stage.
6. top it up with the green chutney as much as you want.
7. then top with some red chili chutney. using this chutney is optional and you can substitute it with red chili powder. though not the same taste with red chili powder. but something is better than nothing.
8. top it up with the sweet chutney as much as you want. the amount of chutneys to be added depends upon a person’s taste. so if someone likes a sweet taste, add more of the sweet tamarind chutney.
9. sprinkle a few drops of lemon juice on the sev puris.
10. sprinkle 2 to 3 pinches of chaat masala and black salt (rock salt) on all the sev pooris.
11. sprinkle sev evenly all over on the sev pooris.
12. lastly garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
serve sev poori immediately. prepare sev pooris this way and serve them straight away. and don’t be surprised if your family, friends or guests ask for a second and third helping.
more street food recipes
sev puri recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR sev puri recipe
For the sev puri
- 36 flat crisp puris or papdis
- ½ to ¾ cup sev or add as required
- 2 to 3 medium to large potatoes, boiled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1 green chili - chopped, optional
- ⅓ to ½ cup spicy mint coriander chutney
- ⅓ to ½ cup sweet tamarind dates chutney
- ¼ to ⅓ cup hot red chili chutney
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder), optional
- 1 to 2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder), optional
- 1 to 2 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon black salt or rock salt or common salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice
For the spicy green coriander chutney
- 2 cups tightly packed coriander leaves (dhania patta), chopped
- 2 green chilies (hari mirch), chopped, add more for a spicy chutney
- ½ inch ginger chopped (optional)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon lime juice or add as per taste
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon salt or add as required
- 1 to 2 teaspoon water for grinding or add as required
For the sweet tamarind dates chutney
- ½ cup tightly packed seedless tamarind (imli)
- ½ cup seedless dates
- ½ cup powdered or grated jaggery or add as required - adjust as per your taste
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon dry ginger powder (amchur powder)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon red chili powder or 1 dry red chili * see notes
- black salt or rock salt or regular salt as required
for red chili chutney
- 15 to 16 dry kashmiri red chilies
- 8 to 9 medium garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE sev puri recipe
making green coriander chutney for sev puri recipe
- rinse the coriander leaves well in water and roughly chop them.
- take the chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chillies & ginger, cumin powder, chaat masala, lemon juice and salt in a grinder jar or a small blender jar.
- add 1 or 2 tsp water and grind to a smooth chutney. add a few teaspoons more of the water if required. but don't make the chutney too thin or watery.
- remove the chutney in a bowl and keep aside. use this green chutney as required for chaat recipes like this sev puri.
making sweet tamarind dates chutney for sev puri
- in a pan, take the tamarind, dates and water.
- cook the tamarind and date for about 8-9 minutes on a low flame till they soften.
- now add the powdered jaggery and continue to cook.
- let the jaggery dissolve and the mixture thicken a bit.
- add all the spice powders - red chili powder, coriander powder, dry ginger powder and roasted cumin powder.
- stir and simmer for a further 1-2 minutes more.
- season with salt.
- let the chutney mixture cool down.
- in a chutney grinder or small blender, grind the this whole mixture till smooth.
- add some water if required while grinding.
- strain the chutney through a strainer.
- store the tamarind date chutney in an airtight bowl or container in the refrigerator and use it when you make chaat at home.
making red chutney for sev puri
- break the chilies. deseed them if required.
- soak the red chilies in hot water for about 30 mins. the water just needs to cover them.
- peel and roughly chop the garlic.
- drain the red chilies.
- adding very little water grind both the red chilies and garlic in a chutney grinder or blender till smooth. the consistency of the chutney should be more towards thicker side or of medium consistency.
- pour the chutney in a small jar or bowl. cover and refrigerate.
- when preparing chaat snacks, just add a small amount while topping the chaat with other chutneys.
assembling or making sev puri
- keep all the ingredients like the chutneys, chopped boiled potatoes, chopped onions and tomatoes, sev, lime juice read on your work surface.
- arrange the puris on a plate. top it up with chopped boiled potatoes.
- add chopped onions and tomatoes to it.
- sprinkle some chaat masala and cumin powder on it, if you want at this stage.
- top iup with the green chutney as much as you want. then top up with red chili chutney.
- then with the sweet chutney as much as you want.
- sprinkle sev on top. again sprinkle some chaat masala, cumin powder. sprinkle also black salt.
- add a dash of lime juice to the sev puri. garnish sev puri with chopped coriander leaves.
- serve sev puri immediately.