This vrat ka halwa is made from singhare ka atta (water chestnut flour) and kuttu ka atta (buck wheat flour). A sweet dessert that is often made during fasts on Navratri and Ekadashi.
I make the vrat ka halwa similar to making rava kesari or sooji halwa. The flours have to be roasted well in ghee to get a good aroma, texture and taste. If you want barfis, then just spread the halwa in a greased tray and when cooled, slice the halwa into cubes or squares. you can also make the halwa with just singhare ka atta. Addition of dry fruits can be of your choice too.
Apart from this vrat ka halwa, there are few more sweet recipes which can be made during Navratri fasting like:
For some days, its going to be, me just posting Navratri recipes. in between I may also post some Indian desserts and festive food. Will continue with the regular posting of main stream Indian food, breads and cakes after the Navratri festival.
Have you made this recipe and liked it? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below or share the recipe on facebook, whatsapp, twitter & pinterest. For recipe updates Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and Twitter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
vrat ka halwa recipe
- ½ cup singhare ka atta (water chestnut flour)
- ½ cup kutta ka atta (buckwheat flour)
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup sugar or as required
- 2 green cardamoms (chotti elaichi) - crushed
- 8 to 9 almonds (badam) - sliced
- 8 to 9 pistachios (pista) - sliced
- Heat ghee in a kadai or pan.
- Add the flour and roast till they change color, texture and become aromatic.
- This roasting is similar to roasting semolina.
- Make sure you roast the flours very well with continuous stirring.
- Whilst the flours are roasting, add water and sugar in another pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the cardamom powder, almonds and pistachios to the flour and roast for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the boiling sugar solution in a steady stream continuously stirring to avoid the formation of lumps.
- Keep on stirring and cook till the mixture thickens and starts to gather around itself.
- While stirring break the lumps with the spoon or spatula.
- Remove from the pan and serve the vrat ka halwa hot or warm.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.