Aloo bonda with step by step photos – aloo bonda or potato bonda is a deep-fried tasty snack made with gram flour (besan or chickpea flour) batter and stuffed with spiced mashed potatoes. A vegan snack.
Aloo bonda are the South Indian version of the popular Maharashtrian Batata vada. the difference between both these versions is the spices used in the mashed potato filling. Also in the South Indian bonda, in the batter rice flour is added along with gram flour. Whereas in the Maharashtrian version, rice flour is usually not added to the batter.
In fact Indian regional cuisine is rich with many popular snacks. In north India Samosa, Kachori, Dahi vada etc are quite popular. Whereas in south India idli, masala dosa, medu vada, Mysore bonda etc are very popular.
You can serve aloo bonda with coconut chutney or tomato ketchup or coriander chutney. A cup of hot tea will also go well with them. I served these crisp hot snacks with coconut chutney.
Note: you can also make a no onion no garlic version of bonda. Just skip the onion and garlic from this recipe.
How to make for aloo bonda
1. first boil the potatoes. Then peel and mash them when they are still warm.
2. heat oil in a frying pan. Add the mustard and urad dal. allow the mustard seeds to splutter and the urad dal to get golden.
3. add the chopped onion and saute till they are translucent and get softened.
4. now add the ginger-garlic paste, curry leaves and green chilies. saute for a minute.
5. Add the turmeric powder, asafoetida (hing) and stir.
6. now add the coriander leaves & salt. Stir.
7. Add the potatoes to this mixture or add this sauteed mixture to the potatoes.
8. stir well. If there is moisture in the mashed potatoes, then you can cook the potato mixture for a few minutes. Add lemon juice and mix well. Check the seasoning and add more salt or red chili powder or lemon juice if required.
9. Make small to medium-sized balls from this mixture. I usually lightly flatten these balls for ease of frying.
Making aloo bonda
10. Take besan or gram flour, rice flour along with the spice powder in a mixing bowl.
11. Mix very well and make a thick flowing batter with all the ingredients.
12. heat oil for deep frying aloo bonda in a kadai or pan. dip each potato ball in the batter and coat it well with the batter. add the batter coated potato balls in medium hot oil.
13. Fry till golden on both sides. Drain them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
14. Serve aloo bonda hot with coconut chutney or tomato ketchup.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
for aloo bonda batter
- 1 cup besan (gram flour or chickpea flour)
- ¼ cup rice flour
- ⅓ to ½ cup water or add as required
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 pinch baking soda (optional)
- salt as required
- 4 to 5 medium sized potatoes
- 1 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 12 to 15 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ⅓ to ½ teaspoon lemon juice or as required
- 1 or 1.5 teaspoon urad dal (spilt and husked black gram)
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- oil for deep or shallow frying
- First boil the potatoes in a pan or steamer or pressure cooker. Then peel and mash them when still warm.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add the mustard and urad dal.
- Allow the mustard seed to splutter and the urad dal to get golden.
- Add the chopped onion and saute till they are translucent and soften.
- Now add the ginger-garlic paste, curry leaves and green chilies. Saute for a minute.
- Add the turmeric powder, asafoetida and stir. Now add the coriander leaves and stir.
- Add the potatoes to this mixture or add this sauted mixture to the potatoes. Stir well.
- If there is moisture, then you can cook the potato mixture for a few minutes.
- Add lemon juice & salt. Mix well.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt or red chili powder or lemon juice if required.
- Make medium sized balls from this mixture.
- Prepare a thick flowing batter with all the ingredients mentioned above in the 'for aloo bonda batter' list.
frying aloo bonda
- Heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan. Dip each potato ball in the batter and coat it well with the batter.
- Add the batter coated potato balls in the medium hot oil.
- Fry till golden on both sides. Drain them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve aloo bonda hot with coconut chutney or tomato ketchup.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.