vegetable pasta in white sauce recipe – an easy and delicious recipe of pasta made with veggies and white sauce.
i usually have pasta or macaroni at home which i make on days, when i want something easy and not too time consuming. this recipe of vegetable pasta in white sauce get made at home often and is liked by everyone.
as an accompaniment to the pasta, i bake a bread or loaf the previous day and make a side vegetable soup or tomato soup. you can use your choice of veggies in the pasta. we are fond of peas, baby corn, carrots, cauliflower, mushrooms and potatoes and hence these get often added in the pasta.
to make this veg pasta recipe you will have to steam or cook the vegetables. either steam them in pot or electric cooker or use a pressure cooker to cook the veggies. peel and dice or cube the veggies. keep aside. i have not steamed the mushrooms but sauteed them as you will see in the pics below. in this recipe you don’t have to make the white sauce separately. you can also have a look at this white sauce pasta recipe which is made in a different way. few more pasta recipes on blog are:
for the flavors and seasoning, i have added dry basil and oregano. you can add your choice of preferred herbs. if living in india and you don’t have access to dry basil and oregano, then you can add a bit of fresh coriander or mint leaves. don’t add too much, just a tiny amount, about 1 tsp of chopped coriander or mint.
vegetable pasta in white sauce recipe below:
veg pasta in white sauce recipe - smooth and creamy dish with pasta and vegetables in white sauce.
- 1 cup shell pasta or macaroni
- 1.5 cups chopped white button mushrooms
- ½ cup green peas - fresh or frozen (matar)
- 1 medium potato (aloo)
- 1 small to medium carrot (gajar)
- 1 small to medium capsicum, any color - red, green or yellow (bell pepper or shimla mirch)
- 4 to 5 baby corn
- 1 medium onion - chopped (pyaaz)
- 2 to 3 small garlic - finely chopped (lahsun)
- 2 cups whole full fat milk
- 2.5 tablespoon all purpose flour (maida)
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano or basil or a mix of both or your choice of dry herbs
- 2 to 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoon grated cheddar or regular cheese (optional)
- salt as required
- black pepper as required
first steam or boil the potatoes, carrots, baby corn and peas in a steamer or pressure cooker.
drain and then chop them. keep aside.
heat enough water in a pan with salt and a few drops of oil.
when the water comes to a boil, add the pasta and boil them till they are completely cooked.
strain the pasta and rinse with water. drain and keep aside.
in a pan, melt the butter. add the onions and garlic and saute till the onions are softened.
then add the mushrooms. stir and saute the mushrooms till the mushrooms are lightly browned from the sides.
the mushrooms will release their juices initially and after continuous sauteing, the juices will evaporate. there should be no moisture in the pan.
keep on stirring in breaks while sauteing the mushrooms.
then add the chopped capsicum (bell pepper) and saute for 10 to 12 minutes.
add the flour and saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
add the boiled vegetables and saute for a minute.
pour milk in a gentle stream to the pan and keep on stirring. the flour will combine with the milk and you will see the sauce getting thickened slowly.
season with salt, pepper and oregano or basil or your choice of herbs.
when the sauce stars to thicken and reaches to your desired consistency. add the pasta.
stir well so that the sauce coats the pasta. switch off the flame.
if the sauce becomes too thick or lumpy, add some hot water or milk and thin the sauce.
lastly add some grated cheese if required.
serve the vegetable pasta in white sauce hot with some toasted bread or baguette.
step by step vegetable pasta in white sauce recipe:
1. boil water with salt and few drops of oil. add the pasta and cook them.
2. the pasta has to be well cooked as we are not going to cook them further, once we add them to the final dish.
3. drain the pasta in a colander or sieve. rinse with running water and keep aside. you can sprinkle a few drops of oil and gently toss them.
4. heat butter in a pan. take care it should not burn or brown. add onions and garlic. saute till the onions are translucent.
5. add the sliced mushrooms.
6. saute the mushrooms till they start to get lightly browned from the edges.
7. add the chopped capsicum/green bell pepper and saute till they are softened and almost cooked.
8. add the all purpose flour/maida or whole wheat flour/atta and stir well. saute for 4 to 5 mins on a low flame till the raw aroma of the flour goes away.
9. add the chopped cooked veggies and stir well. saute for a minute.
10. pour milk in a gentle stream to the pan and keep on stirring. the flour will combine with the milk and you will see the sauce getting thickened slowly. season with salt, pepper and oregano or basil or your choice of herbs.
11. when the sauce starts to thicken and reaches to your desired consistency, then add the pasta.
12. stir well so that the sauce coats the pasta. switch off the flame.
serve vegetable pasta in white sauce hot or warm topped with some grated cheese. if you want you can also top the pasta with grated cheddar cheese and bake in a pre heated oven till the cheese melts.