vermicelli kheer recipe – here comes my first indian vegan sweet dessert. the ever popular vermicelli kheer aka seviyan kheer.
this recipe is for my vegan friends as well to all those folks who do not like the after taste of milk. and also for folks and kids who have lactose intolerance.
i have added cashew milk and almond milk in the vermicelli kheer. i made the nuts milk from scratch. since the kheer itself is made from cashew & almonds milk, i have not added chopped cashews or almonds to milk. just added some black raisins with saffron and cardamom powder.
the vermicelli kheer is very easy to make and does not take much time. you won’t miss the milk in this vegan kheer… trust me. even the hubby liked it who is a hard core milk sweets addict. if you want to make this kheer with cow milk then check this seviyan kheer recipe.
the vermicelli i added is the thin whole wheat vermicelli. they were roasted already, but i roasted them again just to ensure that they are all roasted evenly.
by the way this vermicelli kheer is a low fat, no ghee or oil recipe. the fats present are the natural fats that are already there in almonds and cashews. so all in all, this vegan vermicelli kheer is healthy, low fat and a cooling sweet dessert. you can serve the kheer warm or chilled.
vegan vermicelli kheer recipe below:
- 1.5 cup almond milk
- 1.5 cup cashew milk
- 1.5 cup wheat vermicelli (seviyan)
- 1.5 cup water
- 8-9 tablespoon sugar - add less or more for desired sweetness
- 4-5 green cardamon (choti elaichi), crushed or ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon black currants, sliced or chopped
- 1 pinch saffron (kesar)
- in a pan or kadai dry roast the vermicelli till they get a golden hue.
- lower the flame and in the same pan, add both the cashew and almond milk.
- add sugar, and mix well.
- the mixture will begin to thicken as the vermicelli begins to get cooked.
- if you want a thin kheer add water.
- whereas if you want a thick pudding like kheer then there is no need to add water.
- since at home we prefer thin kheer hence i have added 1.5 cups of water.
- simmer for 7-10 minutes till the vermicelli becomes soft and is cooked well.
- add the cardamom powder, saffron and raisins.
- simmer for a couple of minutes.
- remove from fire.
- serve vermicelli kheer hot or warm.
- or you can chill and serve the kheer cold.
the consisteny of the kheer depends on the almond and cashew milk consistecy. for a thinner consistency add water.
to make the nuts milk from scratch:
take 1 cup almonds & 1 cup cashew nuts
- soak the almonds and cashews in water for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- in a blender add the almonds and cashews.
- if you want you can remove the almond peel.
- add 1.5 to 2 cups water and blend till smooth and fine.
- use this mixture of the almond and cashew milk for the kheer.
- no straining is required here.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes