here comes my first indian vegan sweet dessert – the ever popular vermicelli kheer aka seviyan kheer.
this recipe is for my vegan friends as well to all those folks who do not like the after taste of milk. and also for folks and kids who have lactose intolerance.
i am transitioning into a vegan diet and all i wonder is how am i going to recreate all my favorite milk based indian sweets into a vegan one. well it is challenging and i am sure i am going to meet up with some disasters as well :-)
i have added cashew milk and almond milk in the vermicelli kheer. i made the nuts milk from scratch. since the kheer itself is made from cashew & almonds milk, i have not added chopped cashews or almonds to milk. just added some black raisins with saffron and cardamom powder.
the vermicelli kheer is very easy to make and does not take much time. you won’t miss the milk in this vegan kheer… trust me. even the hubby liked it who is a hard core milk sweets addict.
the vermicelli i added is the thin whole wheat vermicelli. they were roasted already, but i roasted them again just to ensure that they are all roasted evenly.
by the way this vermicelli kheer is a low fat, no ghee or oil recipe. the fats present are the natural fats that are already there in almonds and cashews. so all in all, this vegan vermicelli kheer is healthy, low fat and a cooling sweet dessert. you can serve the kheer warm or chilled.
vegan vermicelli kheer recipe below:
- 1.5 cup almond milk
- 1.5 cup cashew milk
- 1.5 cup wheat vermicelli/seviyan
- 1.5 cup water
- 8-9 tbsp sugar - add less or more for desired sweetness
- 4-5 cardamon, crushed or ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp black currants, sliced or chopped
- a pinch of saffron
- in a pan or kadai dry roast the vermicelli till they get a golden hue.
- lower the flame and in the same pan, add both the cashew and almond milk.
- add sugar, and mix well.
- the mixture will begin to thicken as the vermicelli begins to get cooked.
- if you want a thin kheer add water.
- whereas if you want a thick pudding like kheer then there is no need to add water.
- since at home we prefer thin kheer hence i have added 1.5 cups of water.
- simmer for 7-10 minutes till the vermicelli becomes soft and is cooked well.
- add the cardamom powder, saffron and raisins.
- simmer for a couple of minutes.
- remove from fire.
- serve vermicelli kheer hot or warm.
- or you can chill and serve the kheer cold.
to make the nuts milk from scratch:
take 1 cup almonds & 1 cup cashew nuts
- soak the almonds and cashews in water for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- in a blender add the almonds and cashews.
- if you want you can remove the almond peel.
- add 1.5 to 2 cups water and blend till smooth and fine.
- use this mixture of the almond and cashew milk for the kheer.
- no straining is required here.