seviyan kheer recipe with step by step photos. seviyan kheer also known as vermicelli kheer is a must at any festival at our place. hubby keeps on complaining that i don’t make any sweet dish from milk and that includes this seviyan kheer.
so today i decided to make the seviyan kheer and also post its recipe for raksha bandhan. at home on the ocassion of raksha bandhan the only sweet dish that we make is this kheer.
this is how i make seviyan kheer at home. now here there is a unique spice that i have added to the kheer…. cloves…
just remember seeing this in one of my cookbooks and hence decided to experiment. the cloves do added their subtle fragrance to the kheer.
i have used roasted whole wheat thin seviyan/vermicelli for the kheer. plus i fried it again just to ensure even browning.
as far as dry fruits are concerned you can add your choice of dry fruits. i have only added chopped roasted almonds… coz thats what i had at home.
this is an easy recipe to make seviyan kheer and gets done in 20 minutes.
i had taken step by step photos and they are not so good. blame it on my dark kitchen which is much much darker these days due to the monsoons.
the rest of the photos is near a window with diffused light and the results are after some experimentation on backgrounds, props & post processing. so even though i would have liked, i simply cannot do much with the kitchen step by step pics. since the photographs are shot with a full iso and in dark settings.
also i wanted to create a dark, mysterious and a rich look. i also shot on other backgrounds but did not like results.
if you do not like dairy stuff or are a vegan then i also have a vegan vermicelli kheer made with cashew and almond milk. so wishing everybody a joyful raksha bandhan.
- 1 or 1.5 cups broken vermicelli/seviyan
- 500 ml milk
- 3 tbsp sugar - add more or less for your preferred sweetness
- 2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
- 4-5 green cardamom pods
- 3-4 cloves/lavang
- 7-8 roasted or fried unsalted almonds, chopped or
- 7-8 roasted or fried cashew nuts, chopped
- 2 tsp raisins or
- any dry fruits of your choice
- heat ghee in a pan.
- fry the cloves and cardamom till the release their aroma in the ghee.
- now add the vermicelli/seviyan and fry till they become golden brown.
- pour the milk and let it come to a boil.
- add sugar and mix well.
- lower the flame and let the milk simmer for 5-7 minutes till the seviyan gets cooked.
- lastly add chopped almonds or any dry fruits.
- serve the seviyan kheer hot, warm or cold.
- if serving cold, then refrigerate the seviyan kheer and then serve later.
1. the recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
2. use good quality & fresh milk.
3, the amount of seviyan/vermicelli can be decreased or increased. if you add more seviyan the consistency will be much thicker like a thick pudding. you can go for the kheer consistency as per your liking.
4. dry fruits can be added as per your choice. you can also add some saffron or rose water to the seviyan kheer. i did not have any so could not add these.
5. when cooled the seviyan kheer tends to be thick. so if you don't like thick seviyan kheer then don't thicken the milk. alternatively you can add some more milk to the seviyan kheer.
lets start vermicelli kheer or seviyan kheer recipe:
1: heat ghee in a pan. add cloves and cardamom pods. fry these two spices till they swell up and the ghee become fragrant. now add the seviyan (vermicelli). fry on a medium flame till golden brown.
2: pour milk in the pan and let it come to a boil first.
3: once the milk comes to a boil, them lower the flame and let it simmer. add sugar and mix well.
4: let the seviyan kheer simmer till for some 5-7 minutes till the seviyan (vermicelli) gets cooked and the milk thickens a little.
5: add the roasted chopped almonds and switch off the gas.
6. you can serve the seviyan kheer hot, warm or cold… whatever you or your family prefers 🙂
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media