sheer khurma recipe with step by step photos – sheer khorma or sheer korma is a rich mughlai dessert of vermicelli pudding made during festive occasion of eid ul-fitr. sheer khurma is made with milk, vermicelli, dried dates and sugar. ‘sheer‘ stands for milk and ‘khurma‘ stands for dates in persian language.
how is sheer khurma made
sheer kurma is a rich dessert consisting of various dry fruits, ghee and milk. this is an easy recipe and there are different variations of making sheer kurma. in this variation, i have roasted the vermicelli first and then added it to milk. the vermicelli is then cooked for some more minutes till they become soft. as the vermicelli-milk mixture thickens towards the end, the dry fruits which have been fried in ghee are added.
i just needed to add 1.5 tbsp sugar in this sheer korma as the dates i used were very sweet. both dates and raisins contribute to the sweetness. so adjust the proportion of sugar accordingly and as per your taste. also, use the fine variety of vermicelli.
this delicious sweet pudding is an excellent dessert to be made in winters as it has lot of dry fruits which give a lot of heat & warmth to the body. best to have the sheer khurma hot or warm during winters.
in india, many sweet pudding are made with rice or vermicelli during festive occasions. few of the popular festival pudding recipes are:
INGREDIENTS FOR sheer khurma
- 500 ml milk OR 2 cups full fat organic milk
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon sugar or as required (the dates and raisins add a lot of sweetness to the milk, so add sugar accordingly.)
- ½ cup broken seviyan (whole wheat vermicelli)
- 7 to 8 cashews, chopped (kaju)
- 8 to 9 almonds, sliced (badam)
- 8 to 9 unsalted pistachios, sliced (pista)
- 8 to 9 dates seedless, chopped
- 4 green cardamoms (choti elaichi) - crushed to a powder in a mortar-pestle.
- ½ or 1 tablespoon chironji (charoli)
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins (kishmish)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon rose water
HOW TO MAKE sheer khurma
preparation for sheer khurma
- roast the seviyan till golden and keep aside. if you want then you can roast the seviyan in ghee also.
- in the same pan. heat ghee and add chopped dry fruits and saute for 3-4 minutes stirring often.
making sheer khurma
- heat milk in a saucepan or a heavy pot. let the milk come to a boil. lower the flame and simmer for 8-10 minutes till the milk slightly thickens.
- add the roasted seviyan and sugar to the milk and simmer till the seviyan are cooked and have become soft for about 8-10 minutes on a low flame.
- the milk will also thicken and reduce in volume.
- add the whole dry fruit mixture and cardamom powder.
- switch off the fire and stir.
- taste the sheer khurma and add more sugar if required.
- serve the sheer khurma hot, warm or chilled.
- you can also garnish sheer khurma with saffron strands or rose petals or dry fruits or powdered cardamom.
- if you are using dry dates then don't saute them in ghee. instead cook them in milk. you can also soak overnight to soften them.
preparation to make sheer khurma
1. roast the seviyan till golden and keep aside. if you want then you can roast the seviyan in ghee also. in the same pan. heat ghee. and add chopped dry fruits (chopped dates, raisins, cashews, almonds, pistachios, chironji) and saute for 3-4 minutes.
making sheer khurma
2. heat milk in a saucepan or a heavy pot. let the milk come to boil. lower the flame and simmer for 8-10 minutes till the milk slightly thickens. keep on stirring the milk at intervals.
3. add the roasted seviyan and sugar to the milk and simmer till the seviyan are cooked and are softened…. about 8-10 minutes.
4. the milk will also thicken and reduce by now. add the dry fruits, ghee et all and cardamom powder. also add rose water.
5. switch off the fire and stir. serve the sheer khurma hot or warm in individual bowls. the sheer khurma will thicken more when cooled, so switch off the fire as per the consistency you want.
6. you can also garnish the sheer khurma with saffron stands or rose petals or powdered cardamom. serve sheer khurma hot, warm or cold.