ulundu vada or urad vada recipe with step by step photos – this medu vada post is for a special south indian snack for lord ganesha as naivedyam or bhog during the ganesh chaturthi festival.
this vada recipe is also a no onion no garlic version. similar versions of medu vada is made during navratri festival in south india and served with coconut chutney and sambar. both the sambar and coconut chutney are made without adding onions or garlic. i have already posted an onion version of medu vada.
these deep fried fritters are popularly known as vada or medhu vadai, but also called as urad dal vada or ulundu vada. i have only used urad dal (black gram) in making this vadai. when i make medu vadai, i always soak the lentils overnight. they give the best results and become porous, soft and spongy when deep fried.
for grinding the batter, i do suggest to add a little water as this helps in making the vadas soft. if the batter is too thick the vadas become dense when fried. a slightly thin batter absorbs a lot of oil. so have a middle ground here. the batter should have the consistency where shaping them is easy and yet they become soft when fried. this only comes through experience and and once you get the knack, you will be able to make excellent medu vadas.
i have ground the soaked and drained lentils in a mixer-grinder and added 2 tbsp water. the spices used are black pepper, cumin and a green chili…. because we like the taste of a slightly salty and hot green chili bits in a vadai. you can even add fresh chopped coconut pieces, chopped ginger and curry leaves to the batter.
whenever i make vadas, i always add the batter with a spoon and fry them. i am not so good in making the donut shaped vadas. i always try and give up every time. this time i persisted and managed to make decent dough nut shaped vadas.
you may not get the perfect round donut shape of the vadas as you get in the restaurants. also if you cannot manage to shape them then just fry them like pakoras. just because you are not able to get perfect shape of vadas, that should not deter you from making this delicious medu vadas and enjoying eating them.
the medu vadas are served with the simplest no onion no garlic chutney made with only three ingredients. i will update the coconut chutney recipe soon. medu vada always have to be served hot as they are crisp when hot. don’t serve them when they become cold as the crispness is lost by then. another similar no onion no garlic recipe is cabbage vada or vadai recipe.
if you are looking for similar recipes then do check mysore bonda, soft idlis, upma recipe, idli chaat, moong dal bhajiya, appam recipe without yeast, masala paniyaram, punugulu and masala vadai recipe.
medu vada or ulundu vada recipe below:
- 1 cup urad dal/black gram
- ¼ tsp crushed black pepper
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chili, chopped
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 2 to 3 tbsp water or strained water of the soaked urad dal
- salt as required
- oil for deep frying
- rinse the urad dal in water for a couple of times.
- soak them in enough water overnight or for atleast 4-5 hours.
- drain well and take all the lentils in the grinder jar.
- first add 1 tbsp water and grind the lentils for a few minutes.
- switch off the grinder and scrape the sides of the jar with a spatula and add the unground lentils which stick to the sides of the jar inside the jar.
- add 1 tbsp water and stir with the spatula.
- grind again in intervals scraping and stirring the batter a few times.
- if you find difficulty in grinding the batter, you can add ½ or 1 tbsp water more.
- when the batter has become smooth, fluffy and soft, stop grinding.
- there should be no grainy texture in the batter. it should feel very smooth on your fingers.
- add the crushed black pepper, cumin, green chilies, asafoetida and salt to the ground batter.
- mix well and keep aside.
- heat oil in a kadai or pan for deep frying the vadas.
- shape the medu vada as explained in the step by step pic above.
- fry them in medium hot oil till golden and crisp.
- drain vadas on paper napkins and serve the vada or medu vada hot with coconut chutney and sambar.
lets start ulundu vada or medu vada recipe:
1. soak the black gram or urad dal overnight or atleast for 4-5 hours. drain the water completely and take all the lentils in a grinder jar.
2. add very little water and grind to a smooth fluffy batter.
3. add the black pepper powder, cumin, asafoetida, salt and green chilies to the batter and mix well.
4. wet your palms with water and take some batter in your right palm. with the help of the left hand, shape the batter first and then make a hole in the center with a thumb and gently slid the doughnut shaped vadai into medium hot oil.
5. make other vadas this way and then add them to the kadai. you can fry the number of vadas depending on the size of your kadai. fry the vadas till golden and crisp.
6. drain the medu vadas on kitchen paper tissues to remove excess oil.
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media