vengaya sambar recipe with step by step pics – easy and a delicious sambar made with pearl onions or small onions.
sambar is a favorite at home and i often make sambar with idlis or steamed rice. i specially buy pearl onions to make this sambar and ulli theeyal (keralan curry made with pearl onions). when pearl onions are not available, i make this sambar with onions.
pearl onions have a distinct taste of their own and so i also add them to our everyday dals also. this sambar not only tastes good with pearl onions but also with regular onions. the recipe uses sambar powder and i have added homemade sambar powder. there is no coconut added in the recipe.
if you are looking for more sambar recipes then do check:
onion sambar recipe below:
chinna vengaya sambar recipe - easy sambar made with pearl onions or small onions.
- ½ cup tuvar dal (arhar dal or pigeon pea lentils)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1.5 to 2 cups water for pressure cooking
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch)
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (split husked black gram) - optional
- 3 to 4 methi dana ( fenugreek seeds)
- 9 to 10 curry leaves ( kadi patta) or 1 sprig of curry leaf
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 125 to 150 grams small onions (chinna vengaya) Or 20 to 22 pearl onions (shallots or chote pyaaz) Or 1 to 1.25 cup peeled pearl onions or 2 to 3 medium onions (pyaaz)
- 1 small tomato (tamatar)
- ½ tablespoon tightly packed seedless tamarind (imli) soaked in ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoon sambar powder
- 1.5 cups water
- salt as required
- rinse 1/2 cup tuvar dal for a couple of times in water. then add the lentils in a pressure cooker along with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder. stir and pressure cook the lentils for 7 to 8 whistles or till they are cooked completely.
- when the dal is cooking, soak 1/2 tbsp tamarind in 1/2 cup hot water for about 20 minutes. later extract the pulp from the tamarind and keep aside.
- also soak the pearl onions in water for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- let the pressure release from the cooker on its own. open the lid and check the dal. if the the dal is softened and cooked really well, mash the dal and keep aside.
- later peel the pearl onions and keep aside. also dice the tomato.
- heat 2 tbsp oil and add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds along with 1 tsp urad dal. allow the mustard seeds to splutter and the urad dal to change into a maroonish color.
- then add 2 dry red chilies and 3 to 4 fenugreek seeds. saute till the red chilies change color.
- next add the pearl onions and curry leaves.
- stir and saute till the onions turn translucent.
- add the diced tomatoes and a pinch of asafoetida.
- stir and saute the tomatoes till soften.
- add the tamarind pulp to the onion - tomato mixture.
- add water and stir well.
- bring this mixture to a simmer till the raw smell of tamarind goes away.
- then add sambar powder and stir very well.
- now add the mashed dal and stir again.
- add some more water if required.
- add salt and stir well.
- simmer vengaya sambar for 5 to 6 minutes.
garnish with coriander leaves if you want. serve small onion sambar with steamed rice or idli, dosa or uttapam.
how to make vengaya sambar or onion sambar recipe:
1. rinse ½ cup tuvar dal for a couple of times in water. then add the lentils in a pressure cooker along with ¼ tsp turmeric powder & 1.5 to 2 cups water. stir and pressure cook the lentils for 7 to 8 whistles or till they are cooked completely.
2. when the dal is cooking, soak ½ tbsp tightly packed seedless tamarind in ¼ cup hot water.
3. also soak 20 to 22 pearl onions in water for about 20 minutes. soaking helps in peeling the onions easily. you can also peel them without soaking. instead of pearl onions, you can also use shallots or 2 to 3 medium sized onions. just dice the onions.
4. when the dal is softened really well, mash the dal and keep aside.
5. later peel the onions. rinse then well in water and keep aside. also dice 1 small tomato.
6. heat 2 tbsp oil and add ½ tsp mustard seeds along with 1 tsp urad dal (optional). allow the mustard seeds to splutter and the urad dal to change into a maroonish color.
7. then add 2 dry red chilies and 3 to 4 fenugreek seeds. saute till the red chilies change color.
8. next add the pearl onions and 9 to 10 curry leaves. stir and saute till the onions turn translucent.
9. add the diced tomatoes and one pinch of asafoetida. stir and saute the tomatoes till they soften.
10. extract the pulp from the soaked tamarind.
12. add the tamarind pulp to the onion-tomato mixture.
13. add 1.5 cups water.
14. bring this mixture to a simmer till the raw aroma and taste of tamarind goes away. about 7 to 8 minutes.
15. then add 2 tsp sambar powder.
16. stir very well.
17. now add the mashed dal.
18. stir again.
19. add some more water if required and if the vengaya sambar looks very thick.
20. add salt and stir well. you can also add some jaggery if you want.
21. simmer vengaya sambar for 5 to 6 minutes or until the sambar thickens slightly.