Read This Recipe in -> Hindi
moong dal fry recipe with step by step photos- quick and easy recipe of making delicious moong dal fry at home. legumes or dals are popular dishes in india. there are different ways of preparing a dal.
in this moong dal fry recipe, the mung lentils are cooked first. then a sauted mixture of onions, tomatoes and spices is added to the cooked mung lentils which is then simmered for some more minutes. the end result is a smooth creamy moong dal.
another method to make moong dal at home is this pudina moong dal (dal flavored with mint leaves) and moong dal tadka where the tempering/tadka is added to the dal towards the end. you can serve the moong dal with roti, phulka, jeera rice or steamed basmati rice
moong dal or mung lentils are nutritious lentils and also one of the easy to digest lentils. these lentils are often recommended in ayurvedic diets. they are light on the stomach if cooked in a simple way, thereby making these an excellent food for small kids and convalescing people.
moong dal fry recipe card below:
moong dal fry recipe - easy to make delicious dal fry with mung lentils, onions, tomatoes and spices.
- 1 cup split and husked mung lentils (moong dal)
- 2.5 cups water for pressure cooking * check notes on cooking the lentils in a pot
- 1 pinch of turmeric (haldi)
- 1 cup water, add while the dal is simmering or add as consistency required
- 1 medium sized onion (pyaaz) - finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato (tamatar) - finely chopped
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - slit or chopped
- 1 dry red chili
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - finely chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic (lahsun) - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (sabut jeera)
- 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ½ teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 2 tablespoon oil + ½ tbsp butter
- pick and rinse the mung lentils first.
- then add the lentils in the pressure cooker along with water and turmeric powder.
stir and pressure cook the lentils for 3 to 4 whistles till the dal is soft and mushy.
mash the moong dal with a spoon.
- stir in some salt and add water as required to get the desired consistency. keep the dal to simmer on a low flame.
heat oil along with the butter. crackle the cumin seeds first.
- add onions and fry till light brown.
now add the ginger, garlic, green chilies & dry red chili. saute for half a minute.
- add the tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes soften.
- add all the red chili powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, kasuri methi and coriander leaves.
- stir and continue to saute till oil starts to leave the sides of the masala.
- continue to saute for 1-2 minutes more after oil has started to leave the sides.
add this tadka mixture to the simmering moong dal.
stir and simmer moong dal fry for 2-3 minutes or more till the flavors have well blended in the dal and till you get the desired consistency.
- if you prefer you can add a few drops of lemon juice to the dal.
- serve moong dal garnished with coriander leaves with steamed rice, jeera rice or even chapatis.
to cook the moong dal in a pot or pan:
- soak the lentils in water for about 30 to 40 minutes. then drain them and add in a pot.
- add about 3.5 to 4 cups of water. cover and let the lentils cook till done.
- if the mung lentils begin to froth, then remove the scum and continue to cook without a lid or the lid partly covered.
- you can also add a few drops of oil to reduce the frothing.
how to make moong dal fry recipe:
1. firstly pick and rinse 1 cup moong dal (split and husked mung lentils). you can also rinse the mung lentils in a colander.
2. then add the moong dal in the pressure cooker along with 2.5 cups water.
3. now add 1 pinch of turmeric powder.
4. stir and mix very well.
5. pressure cook the moong dal for 3 to 4 whistles or till the dal is soft and mushy.
6. mash the moong dal with a spoon.
7. add 1 cup water or as required, to get the desired consistency.
8. add salt as required and stir well.
9. on a low flame, keep the moong dal to simmer.
tempering for moong dal fry:
10. meanwhile, measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making moong dal fry.
11. in a kadai or pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil along with ½ tablespoon butter.
12. crackle 1 teaspoon cumin seeds first.
13. then add 1 medium sized chopped onion.
14. saute the onions till light brown.
15. then add ½ inch chopped ginger (adrak), 3 to 4 chopped garlic, 1 green chili & 1 dry red chili.
16. saute for half a minute.
17. add 1 medium sized tomato which has been chopped.
18. saute till the tomatoes soften.
19. then add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi) and 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing). stir well.
20. then add ½ teaspoon crushed kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta).
21. stir and continue to saute till oil starts to leave the sides of the masala.
22. continue to saute for 1-2 minutes more after oil has started to leave the sides.
23. add this tadka mixture to the simmering moong dal.
24. stir and simmer moong dal fry for 2-3 minutes or more. you have to simmer till the flavors have blended well in the dal and you get the desired consistency.
25. if you prefer you can add a few drops of lemon juice to the moong dal.
26. mix well. taste the moong dal and add salt if required.
27. switch off the gas. garnish the moong dal with coriander leaves.
28. serve moong dal fry with steamed rice, jeera rice or even chapatis.