masoor dal recipe with step by step photos. a simple yet tasty recipe made with masoor dal or pink lentils or dhuli masoor dal. this is an easy masoor daal recipe and good for everyday cooking.
masoor dal is another dal that is often made in indian homes. there are lot of dals or lentils used in indian cuisine in a variety of ways. dal is the generic term used for all lentils in india. also the soup or stew like preparation made with any lentil is called as dal.
so there are many many variations of dal with different lentils being used. each region of india have their own variations. many times i add these lentils with pigeon pea lentils (arhar dal) to make dal tadka or combine it with spinach to make dal palak.
these lentils are also used in combination with other 4 lentils to make panchmel dal – a dal made with 5 lentils. some people also add this dal in veggie dishes.
since i often make dal, sabzi, roti or rice at home. so i make some or the other dal recipe almost every day and this masoor dal is one of those.
serve the masoor daal with some steamed basmati rice, pickle and papad and you have a comforting indian meal. even a side vegetable raita or cucumber raita or indian veg salad can be accompanied with the masoor dal.
preparation to make masoor dal recipe
1. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making masoor dal.
2. rinse ½ cup masoor dal (pink lentils) couple of times in water. then add the masoor daal in a 2-litre pressure cooker. also add 1.5 to 1.75 cups water.
3. pressure cook the masoor dal on a medium to medium-high flame for 5 to 6 whistles or till they become soft and mushy.
4. when the dal is cooked, beat with a wooden spoon or wired whisk lightly. keep the cooked dal aside.
making onion-tomato masala for masoor daal
5. in another pan or pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil or ghee.
6. add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera) and sauté till they crackle and become golden.
7. next add ⅓ cup chopped onions.
8. stir and begin to saute the onions.
9. saute the onions till they are light golden.
10. then add ¼ inch chopped ginger (adrak). also add 2 to 3 garlic (lahsun) which are crushed or chopped.
11. stir and saute them for 10 to 15 seconds or till the raw aroma of both ginger and garlic goes away.
12. add 1 green chili (chopped or slit). also add 1 to 2 whole dry red chilies (sabut lal mirch). stir well.
13. add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi), ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder), ¼ to ½ teaspoon garam masala powder and 1 generous pinch of asafoetida (hing).
14. stir and mix well.
15. next add 1 medium sized chopped tomato.
16. stir the tomatoes and mix them well.
17. saute the tomatoes till the oil separates and the tomatoes become soft.
making masoor dal
18. add the cooked masoor dal.
19. mix well.
20. pour 1 to 1.5 cups water. you can adjust the quantity of water as required.
21. add salt as required and stir.
22. simmer the masoor dal for 6 to 7 minutes more on a low or medium flame till you get the desired consistency.
23. this dal is neither thick nor thin and has a medium consistency.
24. add 1 teaspoon kasuri methi, crushed (optional).
25. simmer the masoor dal for 1 minute.
26. towards the end, add ½ or 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves. stir the masoor daal. switch of the flame.
27. you can also garnish masoor dal with coriander leaves if you want while serving the dal. serve masoor ki dal hot with steamed basmati rice or roti or chappati.
few more dal recipes
masoor dal recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR masoor dal recipe
for pressure cooking masoor dal
- ½ cup masoor dal or pink lentils or dhuli masoor dal
- 1.5 to 1.75 cups water for pressure cooking dal
for making masoor dal
- 2 tablespoons oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 small to medium sized garlic, crushed or chopped (lahsun)
- 1 inch ginger, chopped (adrak)
- 1 to 2 green chillies, chopped or slit (hari mirch)
- 1 to 2 whole dry red chilies, (sabut lal mirch)
- 1 medium sized tomato, chopped
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon red chili powder (organic or homemade chili powder can be just ¼ teaspoon as they are very strong)
- 1 generous pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon garam masala powder (homemade garam masala powder can be just ¼ teaspoon)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 to 1.5 cups water or add as required
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) - crushed (optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ½ or 1 teaspoon lemon juice or as required
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE masoor dal recipe
preparation for masoor dal recipe
- pick and rinse the dal well.
- pressure cook the masoor dal in a 2-litre pressure cooker with 1.5 to 1.75 cups water, till they become soft and mushy. pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles on medium flame.
- when the dal is cooked, beat with a wooden spoon or wired whisk lightly.
- keep the cooked dal aside. if dal is not cooked, then add some more water and pressure cook for a few whistles more.
making onion-tomato masala for masoor dal
- in another pan or pot, heat oil or ghee. fry the cumin seeds till golden.
- then add onions and fry till they are light golden.
- add chopped ginger and garlic. stir and fry for 10 to 15 seconds or till the raw aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
- add green chilies and red chilies. stir.
- add all the dry spice powders one by one including asafoetida (hing) and stir.
- add the tomatoes and fry till the oil separates and the tomatoes become soft.
making masoor dal
- add the cooked masoor dal. pour 1 to 1.5 cups water. you can adjust the quantity of water as required.
- add salt and stir. simmer the masoor dal for 6 to 7 minutes more on a low or medium flame till you get the desired consistency.
- this masoor dal is neither thick nor thin and has a medium consistency.
- lastly add kasuri methi and simmer for 1 minute.
- towards the end add lemon juice and 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves and stir the masoor dal. switch off the flame.
- you can also garnish masoor dal with coriander leaves if you want while serving the dal. serve masoor dal hot with steamed basmati rice or roti or chappati.
- the dal also can be cooked in a pot or pan. just soak the dal for 30-40 minutes, so that they cook faster if cooking in a pot. adjust the quantity of water as required.
- adjust the spices in masoor dal as per your taste.