I love Chinese food, be it the authentic original Chinese food or the Indo Chinese Food. Paneer Manchurian Recipe is a delectable Indo Chinese recipe. You will find Paneer Manchurian and Veg Manchurian on many Indian restaurants’ Chinese menus. Instead of Paneer, you could also use Tofu for this recipe.
The recipe is easy to make. Whenever you make Indo Chinese cuisine at home, please don’t forget to add celery. Celery gives so much flavor and makes it really Chinese
If you don’t add celery, then something will be missing in the dish and you can actually taste it. This recipe is for a Paneer Manchurian curry or gravy. If you like the Dry Paneer Manchurian, then please check the notes section in the recipe details below.
Step by step Paneer Manchurian recipe:
1: Dice the paneer into cubes or squares. mix the corn flour, chopped ginger-garlic, black pepper powder, salt. mix the whole mixture well.
2: Heat oil in a wok or kadai. shallow fry the flour coated paneer cubes till light golden.
3: Drain on kitchen tissues and keep aside. don’t over fry as the paneer cubes might become dense.
4: If there is extra oil in the wok, then remove it in a bowl. add spring onions to the oil and stir fry till the onions become translucent. Add the chopped garlic, ginger, green chilies, celery and stir fry for some seconds.
5: Now add the soy sauce, tomato sauce and veg stock or water. Cook till the mixture begins to simmer.
9: Add the corn flour paste and stir so that the no lumps are formed.
11: Simmer and keep on stirring till the sauce begins to thicken. Once the desired consistency of thickness is done, add the fried paneer cubes, pepper, salt, sugar & vinegar.
14: Stir and simmer for 1 or 2 minutes. Serve hot garnished with spring onion greens with some veg fried rice or veg noodles. i served with an asian veg rice.
Paneer Manchurian recipe details below:
- 200 gms paneer or tofu
- 1 small capsicum/green bell pepper – chopped or thinly sliced (optional)
- 1.5 cups veg stock or water
- ¼ or ½ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ cup chopped spring onion/scallion whites
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped
- 5-6 garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chopped celery
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 or 1.5 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider or white vinegar
- salt & black pepper as required
- oil for frying the paneer – about 4-5 tbsp oil
- a few spring onions/scallion greens for garnishing
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- ½ tsp chopped ginger-garlic
- salt and pepper as required
- Mix all the ingredients for the paneer marinade.
- Add paneer to the marinade to the paneer.
- Toss the mixture well, so that the paneer is well coated with the marinade.
- Shallow or deep fry the paneer cubes in hot oil.
- Drain on paper napkins and keep aside.
- Remove the extra oil from the wok or kadai.
- When the oil becomes hot add the onions.
- Stir fry the onions on medium to high heat taking care that they do burn.
- Make the corn flour paste with water.
- Let the onions become translucent.
- Add the ginger, garlic, green chili and celery.
- Stir for some seconds or a minute.
- Now add the capsicum if adding them. Stir fry the capsicum also for 2-3 mins.
- Now add all the sauces, veg stock or water.
- Stir and simmer.
- Add the corn flour paste and let the sauce thicken.
- Now add the fried paneer cubes, vinegar, pepper and salt.
- Stir and simmer for a minute.
- Garnish with spring onion green and serve hot with veg fried rice, asian veg rice or veg noodles.
If you want the paneer manchurian recipe to be to be dry, then do not add any water.
Just add the sauces, salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar. Stir well. Add the fried paneer pieces.
Mix the paneer pieces in the sauce and serve the dry paneer manchurian hot.
Add the cornflour paste slowly and keep on stirring while adding it so that lumps are not formed.
If you like to have more gravy, you will obviously use more water or stock. So in proportion you will have to increase the cornflour paste.
The cornflour is added to thicken to the gravy. If the gravy becomes too thick, then you can thin it by adding little water.
You can even add the paneer pieces directly instead of frying them.
you might also like to check these recipes: