aloo moongre ki sabzi recipe – whilst, having a short visit to my parent’s house, i saw the radish pods in the farmer’s market… i remember buying them many times in the delhi farmers’ markets.
i love radish pods for their radishy taste, flavor and aroma. so without even a second thought, i bought the radish pods. i wanted my mom, dad and sis to have this delicacy. they have never had this anytime before and it was the first time they had the sabzi. and they liked it very much.
i had radish pods sabzi for the first time, at my in-laws and it was dear mom-in-law who had made it. this is again her recipe and this is the only way i know of a sabzi with radish pods, besides adding it in chutneys.
the radish pods are easily available in the vegetable markets of north india, but not at all available in the south indian vegetable markets.
the radish pods are called as moongre in punjabi. this sabzi is made with potatoes, hence it is typically called as aloo moongre ki sabzi.
all you guys who have never tried the radish pods….. try it. it is different… that much i can tell you. but i cannot say if you will like it or not. though they look like french beans, they are not at all like beans. they are like radish… pungent and sharp…
lets start step by step aloo moongre ki sabzi recipe:
1. chop the radish pods in 2 or 3 inch pieces and rinse them in running water 3-4 times. keep aside.
2. heat mustard oil in a pan and add the diced potatoes.
3. saute the potatoes till they change color and get atleast 1/4th cooked. now add the chopped radish pods and saute for a couple of minutes more.
4. add turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt to the veggies.
5. mix these spice powders with the veggies.
6. cover and cook the veggies for 10-15 minutes. keep on checking the veggies in between. finally add the garam masala powder and dry mango powder.
aloo moongre ki sabzi recipe below:
- 250 gms radish pods/moongre
- 1 large potato or 2 medium size potatoes, diced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp amchur powder/dry mango powder
- 2 to 3 tbsp mustard oil or sunflower oil
- chop the pods in 2 or 3 inch pieces.
- rinse them in running water 3-4 times.
- heat mustard oil in a pan.
- add the potatoes.
- saute the potatoes for 3-4 minutes on a medium flame.
- add the chopped radish pods.
- stir the veggies and saute again for 3-4 minutes.
- add the turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt.
- mix the spice powders evenly with both the veggies.
- cover and cook the veggies for 20-25 minutes on a low flame. remember to check the veggies and stir them in between.
- once both the veggies are cooked, add the garam masala powder and dry mango powder. stir these two spice powders with the veggies.
- serve the aloo moongre ki sabzi with rotis, phulkas and a bowl of yogurt.