milk peda recipe with step by step photos – super quick, easy and tasty doodh peda recipe made in microwave. a 5 minute recipe.
peda is a popular indian sweet that is traditionally made with khoya/mava or evaporated milk. i have shared the traditional way of making peda recipe with khoya. however the peda recipe posted here is a cheat’s version of making peda with condensed milk. the method is super quick and takes about only 3 minutes to cook in the microwave oven. few more quick and delicious recipes you can make with condensed milk are:
apart from condensed milk, milk powder and ghee/butter is also added in these pedas. there is no need to add any sugar at all. they are slightly more sweet and this comes from someone who does not like too much sweetness in any indian sweet dish or dessert.
i got inspired to make these pedas after seeing one recipe in the 100 diwali recipes ebook by indusladies.com. i experimented a little and came with this recipe after 2 trials.
first time when i made the milk pedas, i overcooked them and they became slightly dark and bit dense and chewy. tasted good but the texture was compromised a bit. i used a full can of nestle’s milkmaid and the pedas were too much in quantity for us. pic below of the first trial. you can compare the texture and look of both the pedas.
next time i just used half of the can and was very careful when microwaving them. just microwaved for a total of 3 minutes checking after every 30 seconds. the second time pedas had a good smooth texture and a nice creamish color.
so when you microwave the milk pedas, keep an eye so that the mixture does not get overcooked. you can also cook the whole mixture in a pan instead of the microwave.
1 can of condensed milk – 400 gram, yields 24-26 small pedas, while
½ can- 200 grams, yields 12-14 pedas.
doodh peda or milk pedha recipe below:
milk peda recipe - quick doodh peda recipe in microwave
milk peda recipe - quick and tasty peda made in the microwave oven. a 5 minute recipe.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 200 grams sweetened condensed milk OR half a can of condensed milk
- ½ tablespoon ghee or butter
- ¾ cup milk powder
- a pinch of saffron (kesar)
- a pinch of nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
how to make recipe?
- mix the condensed milk, milk powder and ghee/butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- make sure there are no lumps.
- crush the cardamoms in a mortar-pestle to a fine powder. discard the peels.
- microwave on high for one minute.
- add the cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and saffron strands.
- stir and microwave on high for one minute. remove and stir again.
- microwave for 30 seconds on high and check.
- if the mixture looks a bit liquid, microwave again for 30 seconds on high. the mixture would thicken.
- it took me exact 3 minutes on high power to get the right consistency.
- if the mixture still has moisture and is liquidity, then microwave again on high for 15 to 30 seconds more.
- when the mixture becomes mildly hot or warm, shape into small balls.
- the mixture is sticky, so apply some oil or ghee while shaping into small balls.
- once cooled, store the milk pedas in an air tight box in the refrigerator.
- serve the milk pedas or doodh pedas when required.
few tips for milk peda recipe:
- the recipe can be doubled or tripled. it takes the same time to microwave the peda mixture using half the tin or full tin of condensed milk.
- since the microwave cooking functions vary from oven to oven, you can microwave some seconds less or more to get the right consistency.
- the mixture can also be cooked in a pan. cook the mixture till it starts to leave the sides of the pan. it takes approx 10-14 minutes depending on the type of pan, amount of heat and quantity of the mixture.
few steps for doodh peda or milk peda recipe:
1. in a deep bowl mix the condensed milk, milk powder and ghee or butter.
2. microwave for a minute on high power. add the cardamom powder, saffron and nutmeg powder. use a deep microwave safe bowl, so that the mixture does not spill out. if the mixture spills out, then its messy to clean.
3. stir and again microwave for about 1.5 to 2 minutes. check after every minute or 30 seconds. the mixture would thicken considerably and looks like leaving the sides of the bowl. pic below shows the final consistency of the mixture. the color should not darken. even after microwaving, the food keeps on cooking, so keep this in mind.
4. let the mixture become warm. apply some oil or ghee on your palms and make small balls or peda. the mixture is sticky so applying oil or ghee helps. you can even flatten them if you want. if you have moulds, you can make the milk pedas in moulds too. you can also press the centers with your thumb and sprinkle some crushed pistachios or almonds or cashews or whole raisins in the center.
let the milk pedas cool at room temperature or you can keep the pedas refrigerated. usually, its better to consume milk based sweets fast as they get spoiled quickly. but don’t worry these delicious milk pedas will get over soon.