In this post I will explain a method of making paneer at home in the microwave oven - Paneer is also called as indian cheese or cottage cheese. This method is a quick method of making paneer. It does not require to keep the paneer hanging overnight.
When you want to use paneer for any dish, then this is the quickest method to make it. It won’t take more than 15-20 minutes.
Another important thing that I have noticed is that the paneer made in microwave is more softer than the ones made in a pan. To know more about the tips for making soft and firm paneer in a pan, read this link: How to make Soft and Firm Paneer
To make about 200 gms of paneer in the microwave, you will need:
- 3 cups of milk
- 1-2 tbsp of white vinegar or
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
Steps for making indian cottage cheese in the microwave oven:
- Put the milk in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on full power for 2 minutes.
- Now add the vinegar or lemon juice to the hot milk. Stir the milk, so that the vinegar or lemon juice gets evenly distributed in the milk. Microwave again on full power for 11/2 or 2 minutes till the milk starts curdling.
- Once the milk has curdled, you can remove the bowl from the microwave oven as it will continue to curdle even after you remove it.
- Now strain the curdled milk.
- The whey gets separated out and what remains is the curdled milk. This curdled milk is the paneer.
- Bring together the paneer threads and keep on pressing with the back of the spoon so that all the whey strains out.
- Continue pressing till all the whey is strained. Once all the water is strained out then cool for 5 mins.
- Your paneer is ready to use for your favourite recipes like kadai paneer, paneer tikka, paneer paratha, chilli paneer.