kadai paneer gravy recipe with step by step photos. kadai paneer is one of the most easy and simplest recipe made from paneer. its gets its name ‘kadai paneer ‘ as it is made in a kadai/kadhai/karahi.
kadai is a utensil which is similar to the chinese wok – the only difference being, kadai has more depth than the wok. in fact in india, the kadai is used as an utensil for deep frying as well as to make many dishes like kadai mushroom, kadai chole.
this kadhai paneer recipe is a gravy version. its easy to prepare. you can make it at times when you get unexpected guests, or you are too tired or in no mood to go for an elaborate cooking process. there is one more recipe of semi dry kadai paneer also posted the blog – restaurant style kadai paneer.
to make kadai paneer, you will need paneer in handy and the usual indian herbs and spices. the recipe uses a lot of tomatoes. for the base i have added onions, tomatoes and freshly roasted and powdered coriander seeds and kashmiri red chilies. both these spices impart a lot of flavor in the dish.
the kadai paneer gravy or curry is tangy and this comes from the tomatoes. if you prefer to the balance the tang, then add some cream towards the end. use fresh red and ripe tomatoes in this recipe. avoid using tomatoes which are sour. the recipe is slightly spicy. reduce the quantity of red chilies if you don’t want any spiciness.
the dry kashmiri red chillies added here, give a nice red color to the gravy accompanied with the tomatoes. kashmiri chilies have less heat as compared to other varieties of red chilies. if you don’t have kashmiri chilies, then use any indian dry red chillies. just reduce the quantity depending on the heat and pungency of the chilies.
since this kadai paneer is a gravy recipe, it goes well with the usual rotis, parathas or naan and also equally well with plain steamed rice or jeera rice. the kadai paneer is again adapted from jigg kalra’s recipe.
kadai paneer gravy recipe below:
- 250 to 300 gms paneer/cottage cheese/0.55 to 0.66 lb of cottage cheese
- 1 small to medium capsicum/green bell pepper/0.22 lb bell pepper, julienned
- 1.5 inch ginger, chopped + 7-8 medium sized garlic, chopped, crushed in a mortar-pestle to a fine paste.
- 1 to 2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 medium sized onions, 100 gms/0.22 lb onions, finely chopped
- 7 medium to large tomatoes, 500 to 550 gms tomatoes/1.21 lb (2 tomatoes, finely chopped and 5 tomatoes, pureed in a blender)
- ¾ to 1 tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tbsp crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves
- ½ to ¾ cup water
- 2 tbsp cream (optional)
- 2 to 3 tbsp oil or ghee or butter
- a few chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- salt as required
- 5 tsp coriander seeds/sabut dhania
- 4 to 5 dry kashmiri red chilies, if using any other variety of dry red chilies, then reduce to 2 to 4 depending on the heat and pungency of the chilies.
- first roast the coriander and dry kashmiri red chilies in a pan on a low flame till aromatic.
- when the spices cool, grind both of them in a grinder to a semi fine powder. keep aside.
- finely chop the onions. julienne (cut into very thin strips) the capscium/green bell pepper.
- finely chop 2 tomatoes. roughly chop 5 tomatoes and add them to the blender. make a puree of the tomatoes. keep the tomato puree aside.
- crush the ginger-garlic to a fine paste in a mortar-pestle.
- in a pan heat oil or ghee or butter. then add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till their raw aroma disappears.
- then add the chopped onions and saute till transparent.
- add the ground coriander and kashmiri red chilli powder that we made. also add green chilies.
- stir well and saute for few seconds. add the tomatoes and saute for 2 to 3 mins. then add tomato puree.
- stir well and continue to saute till you see oil leaving the sides. about 9 to 10 mins on a low flame.
- add the capsicum/green bell pepper julienne. stir and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- add water and salt and continue to simmer for some 7 to 8 minutes.
- later add crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves and garam masala powder and stir.
- add the paneer cubes or slices. stir gently. cook the paneer for about 2 to 3 mins.
- you can also 2 tbsp of cream toward the end. just stir the cream gently in the gravy.
- garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve kadai paneer gravy with rotis, naan, steamed rice or jeera rice.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“.
step by step kadai paneer gravy recipe:
1. first roast 5 tsp coriander seeds and 4 to 5 dry kashmiri red chilies in a pan on a low flame till aromatic.
2. when the spices cool, grind both of them in a grinder to a semi fine or fine powder. avoid keeping the powder coarse as then the gravy has grits and the masala comes in the mouth while eating.
3. in a pan heat 2-3 tbsp oil or ghee. then add the ginger garlic paste (1.5 inch ginger, chopped + 7-8 medium sized chopped garlic, crushed in a mortar-pestle to a fine paste). saute till their raw aroma disappears.
4. then add 2 medium sized chopped onions (100 grams) and saute till transparent.
5. add the freshly ground coriander and kashmiri red chili powder. also add 1-2 chopped green chillies.
6. stir well and saute for few seconds.
7. add 2 medium to large finely chopped tomatoes and saute for 2 to 3 mins. then add tomato puree (5 medium to large tomatoes, pureed in a blender).
8. stir well and continue to saute till you see oil leaving the sides… about 9 to 10 mins on a low flame.
9. add 1 small to medium sized capsicum/green bell pepper julienne. stir and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes on a low to medium flame.
10. add ½ to ¾ cup water and salt (as required). continue to simmer for some 7 to 8 minutes.
11. later add ½ tbsp crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves and add (¾ to 1 tsp) garam masala powder and stir.
12. add 250 to 300 gms paneer cubes or slices. stir gently.
13. simmer till the paneer is cooked, for about 2 to 3 minutes. don’t over cook the paneer as then it will become hard and you won’t get the desired texture in the paneer.
14. garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve kadai paneer gravy with rotis, naan, steamed rice or jeera rice.Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media