kadai paneer recipe restaurant style with step by step photos. kadai paneer is one of the most popular paneer recipe along with paneer butter masala, palak paneer, matar paneer and chilli paneer. it could be made dry, semi dry or gravy version. there is also a kadai paneer gravy version posted on the blog.
this kadai paneer recipe is a semi dry version. the recipe is simple and very easy to make. this restaurant style kadai paneer recipe is adapted from the cookbook prashad – cooking with indian masters by jiggs kalra. this book has restaurant style recipes, but most of them are non vegetarian ones. a must have book if you want to have some yummy food. i have made a few veg recipes from the book and they have all been great.
this recipe is called as kadai paneer as the whole dish is prepared in a kadai or karahi. this humble indian cookware which is similar to the chinese wok but with steeper sides. kadai is used to prepare many other indian stir fried vegetable dishes and even for deep frying indian snacks like samosa, pakoras (fritters). if you don’t have a kadai, then make the recipe in a pan.
the flavors of this restaurant style kadai paneer recipe comes from freshly pounded coriander seeds and kashmiri red chilies and yes adding freshly pounded spices do make a lot of difference to the food that we cook.
another factor of this recipe is that it does not have onions but garlic is added. for folks who do not eat onion and garlic, just do not add garlic to the recipe and you have a kadai paneer without onions and garlic. for the recipe, i had made paneer the previous night, but you can use store brought paneer.
few tips for making kadai paneer recipe:
- to make the pounding easier in a mortar pestle, dry roast the red chilies and coriander seeds.
- the capsicum can also be diced, but making juliennes means faster cooking.
- since red chilies are used, one does not need to add red chili powder.
- you have to make this recipe in the kadai and not in any other pan 🙂 folks who do not have kadai, use a wok instead.
- this kadai paneer recipe is a semi dry and mildly spiced recipe and no water is used in this one.
- best to have kadai paneer with onion rings, lemon wedges and tandoori naan, garlic naan or tandoori roti.
- its always better to use homemade paneer for any paneer recipe. once you learn to make paneer at home then you will not feel like buying it from outside.
restaurant style kadai paneer recipe below:
- 250 gms paneer/cottage cheese, cubed
- 5-6 medium tomatoes/tamatar, chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies/hari mirch, chopped
- 6-7 garlic/lahsun, crushed
- 1.5 inch ginger/adrak, half crushed and half julienned
- 2 green bell peppers/capsicum/shimla mirch, julienned
- 5-6 kashmiri red chilies
- 1.5 tbsp coriander seeds/dhania seeds, roasted
- 1.5 to 2 tsp crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ cup chopped coriander/cilantro leaves/dhania
- 2 tbsp
- salt or black salt
- in a kadai heat 2 tbsp oil. add the crushed ginger and garlic. saute these till the raw smell disappears.
- now add the chopped tomatoes. saute the tomatoes till they become soft.
- pound the coriander seeds and red chilies to a roughly fine powder.
- after 8-10 minutes add the spice powder to the tomatoes.
- saute the tomatoes till the whole mixture become like a paste and starts to leave oil.
- now add the capsicum julienne and chopped green chilies. and saute the capsicum for some 8-10 minutes.
- add salt and garam masala powder. mix these with the rest of the masala.
- its time to add the paneer. cook the paneer for 2 to 3 minutes in the masala.
- lastly add kasuri methi, ginger julienne and coriander leaves. mix and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- serve the kadai paneer, hot with rotis or naans.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“.
step by step restaurant style kadai paneer recipe.
1. start by rinsing the veggies and chopping them later.
2. in a kadai, heat 2 tbsp oil and add crushed ginger garlic or ginger garlic paste (¾ inch ginger + 6-7 garlic).
3. fry till the raw smell disappears. then add 5-6 medium sized chopped tomatoes.
4. fry the tomatoes on a low flame. keep an eye on the tomatoes and also start to take 5-6 red chilies and 1.5 tbsp coriander seeds in a mortar and pestle.
5. crush them to a coarse to fine powder. you could also use a dry grinder for this purpose. i felt the mixture was too less to go into the grinder, so i used the mortar and pestle. you can also lightly roast the spices before crushing them.
6. after 10 minutes, add fresh and aromatic coriander seeds-red chillies powder to the tomatoes.
7. mix the coriander-dry red chili powder with the tomatoes and saute everything till the whole mixture becomes paste like. this method is called ‘bhunao‘ in hindi.
8. when the whole masala has become paste like and starts to release oil, then add 2 capsicum juliennes and also add 1-2 chopped green chillies. you can see my julienne are so thick. that they should not be called julienne 😉 got to practice more to get fine juliennes. you cannot see the green chilies in the pic, though…
9. mix the capsicum/shmila mirch, julienne and 1-2 chopped green chilies with the rest of the masala.
10. saute the capsicum till they are half cooked. if the mixture looks dry you can sprinkle some water. later add salt and add ½ tsp garam masala powder.
11. mix the salt and garam masala powder with the rest of the sabzi and add 250 grams paneer cubes.
12. and then mix the paneer cubes so that the masala coats the paneer cubes.
13. let the paneer cook for 2 to 3 mins and then add 1.5 to 2 tsp kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves), ¾ inch ginger julienne and ½ cup chopped coriander leaves.
14. stir the whole mixture and cook for a 2-3 minutes more. your kadai paneer is ready. serve kadai paneer with rotis, naans, parathas or tandoori rotis.Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media