chilli baby corn recipe with video – this indo chinese recipe is a hit with many folks. i usually make chilli baby corn as a side dish when i have a indo chinese menu at home.
this chilli baby corn recipe is a crisp version and a semi dry dish. its has some moistness, hence i call it semi dry. there is no gravy and the sauce coats the fried baby corn. i have also shared the chilli baby corn gravy recipe. few more similar indo chinese recipes are dry paneer chilli, paneer chilli gravy, chilli mushroom dry and chilli mushroom gravy recipe.
usually in any indo chinese dish, that has the tag “chilly”, capsicum is always added. i wonder why. neither its hot nor has any “chilli” factor in it.
when for the first time and even later, as a kid when i had a chilli chinese dish….there was no capsicum in these dishes at all. just green chilies… and thats what i would think then, thats these dishes have the tag of chilli, since green chilies are added. but i think i was and am wrong. even the goan chilli fry, does not have a great number of chilies. so why the name chilli fry, i wonder.
however, the indo chinese chilli dish, does have green chilies and green capsicum (green bell pepper) too. i have not added capsicum. if you want you can add some capsicum. quantity is mentioned in the recipe details below.
i have pan fried the batter coated baby corn, as i wanted a lighter and healthier dish. for extra crispness, you can shallow or deep fry the baby corn. you can serve chilli baby corn as a starter or with bread or even veg fried rice.
instead of posting step by step pics, i have made a video. its less work for me to make a video with the images and the page also loads faster. let me know what you think.
this chilli baby corn video has better sound than my earlier video of palak paneer.
chilli baby corn recipe details below:
chilli baby corn recipe - crisp and spicy indo chinese recipe of chilli baby corn.
- 12 to 15 baby corn
- ½ inch ginger - finely chopped (adrak)
- 2 to 3 green chilies - slit (hari mirch)
- 3 to 4 garlic - finely chopped (lahsun)
- ½ cup finely chopped onion or spring onions
- 1 small capsicum - thinly sliced (green bell pepper or shimla mirch)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or as required
- ½ teaspoon apple cider or white vinegar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chopped celery
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon corn starch (corn flour) to be sprinkled from above
- salt as required
- black pepper powder as required
- sugar as required
- 2 to 3 teaspoon oil for frying the baby corn
- 1 tablespoon oil for the sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoon all purpose flour (maida)
- 2 to 3 tablespoon cornstarch (cornflour)
- water as required to make a thick paste
- salt and pepper as required
- make a smooth paste with the cornflour, all purpose flour (maida), salt, pepper and water.
- rinse and dry the baby corn with kitchen towels.
- chop the baby corn if they are larger in size or keep them whole if they are smaller.
- heat oil on a tava or a frying pan.
- dip each baby corn piece in the batter and coat it well with the batter.
- pan fry the baby corn till the edges and sides are golden brown.
- since we have used less oil, you don't need to drain the babycorn on kitchen napkins.
- in another pan or kadai or wok, heat about 1 tbsp oil.
- add chopped onions or spring onions, ginger, garlic and slit green chilies.
- stir fry on a medium flame till the onions have become translucent. (if adding capsicum, add now.stir fry till the capsicum have partly cooked but still retain their crunch.)
- add the soy sauce and stir well.
- now sprinkle black pepper powder, salt and sugar. add 2 tbsp water and stir.
- add the pan fried baby corn with chopped celery to this mixture. stir well.
- to give a glaze and smoothness in the dish, sprinkle about 1 tsp of corn flour. mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes or more till the corn flour has cooked.
- lastly add the apple cider or white vinegar and stir again.
- check the seasonings and add salt, pepper or soy sauce if required.
- serve the baby corn garnished with some spring onions or chopped celery.
- serve chilli baby corn as a starter or with bread or even veg fried rice.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes